Making a Backyard Shooting Range

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Imcrazy

Making a Backyard Shooting Range

Post by Imcrazy »

Hey guys, I searched to not much avail. I'm thinking of trying to setup a shooting range in my new backyard. We're buying 3.5 acres in Medina County in Brunswick Hills Township. I am 100% sure that I would build a back stop and some side walls for the range as well, I need to ensure a bullet never ever leaves the range area. I am also thinking of building a shed that would have a bullet proof wall that faces the backstop and a small window basically so you can only see the back stop out the window to be even more sure no one can have a ND and cause a bullet to leave my property (would make that wall out of old RR ties). I am mostly planning on shooting .22LR, 9mm and 45 acp. I would not be shooting any rifle calibers because for one I am only planning on making a 15 yard range and two I don't think it would be very considerate of the neighbors to be blasting off with the AR-15. Finally when it comes to noise, one of my .22's is threaded so I think I'll toss a suppressor on that at some point. I have a membership at Erie County Conservation league so this won't be my only shooting avenue and I would be happy to just shoot my .22's to be honest.

Anyone made a backstop in their yard? The land is pretty hilly and has a shallow pond that I will be draining and re-grading the property accordingly so I'm thinking I should have most of the dirt I need, I'm planning on buying RR ties to make a flattened on the back and opened on the ends U shape to support a pile of dirt so I don't have to use as much dirt on the back side but, I realize dirt is the best bullet stopper out there so I want that for my impact zone.
-Aaron
Brian D.

Re: Making a Backyard Shooting Range

Post by Brian D. »

The NRA has compiled much information about building ranges. Never looked for it online but it must be accessible that way these days.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Imcrazy

Post by Imcrazy »

Brian D. wrote:The NRA has compiled much information about building ranges. Never looked for it online but it must be accessible that way these days.
Haven't checked out the NRA yet but, NSSF has a nice write up.
-Aaron
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

The NRA Range sourcebook is reasonably priced on CD ROM $19.95
http://materials.nrahq.org/2012-nra-ran ... d-rom.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lots of diagrams and dimensions materials lists, guidelines for backstops.

It is hard to pass up a suppressor these days, and annoying when the tax stamp costs more than the muffler.
http://rebelsilencers.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; $99.00
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
Imcrazy

Post by Imcrazy »

Bruenor wrote:The NRA Range sourcebook is reasonably priced on CD ROM $19.95
http://materials.nrahq.org/2012-nra-ran ... d-rom.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lots of diagrams and dimensions materials lists, guidelines for backstops.

It is hard to pass up a suppressor these days, and annoying when the tax stamp costs more than the muffler.
http://rebelsilencers.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; $99.00
Thanks for the tip. I'll pick up the CD.

I concur on the cans, I'd like to get one for my M&P 22 compact pistol to start off from there probably my M&P 9mm and my AR ( mostly just for home defense so I don't blow out my ears if god forbid I have to defend myself). Would love to get one on my 1911 but, that barrel would require fitting.
-Aaron