It's getting warmer out should I get a compact gun?

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

trustycow

It's getting warmer out should I get a compact gun?

Post by trustycow »

I was just reading an article earlier about the ldifferent weather in Ohio and how that can affect your CCW choices and the Best guns for Concealed carry in Ohio . Right now I carry a full size fns9 and haven't had many problems concealing it. However I lost a lot of weight over the winter so it maybe a problem now for concealing it. One of the guns on the list was a fns9c which I'll probably pick up if I find one cheap enough.

But what's everyone else's take on this, do you have a seasonal CCW gun?

Thanks for the input
Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: It's getting warmer out should I get a compact gun?

Post by Stryker74 »

Nope. I carry the same thing year round. Commander size 1911 or full size M&P9.

I dress around the gun and have never had a problem concealing a full size. Plus, I am generally not to concerned about printing either. Loud patterned shirts work well for me.
Aaron

NRA Life Endowment Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer
Kentucky CCDW Certified Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

trustycow wrote:... However I lost a lot of weight over the winter so it maybe a problem now for concealing it...
If you lost a lot of weight, I would think you would have an easier time concealing because of all your loose-fitting clothes. :wink:
MyWifeSaidYes
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ Alternatively, your support gear (belt/holsters/etc.) may need to change....

But going back to the main question:

For me, personally, "dressing around the gun" is an ideal that I unfortunately just could not live up to. :oops: :cry:

So instead I chose my carry with concealment in-mind, and chose specifically to tailor it towards the least/less concealing garments that I would wear.

I'm fond of consistency (ever practice draws from different clothes and find surprising fumbles? yeah, it's like that, but on an even more fundamental level because it is the gun, itself), particularly where it comes to something this important. However, yes, I do own an alternate gun for when I just can't drop the profile of my normal EDC enough for my subjective tastes. Sure, I may use this particular gun only 1% of the time, but I'd rather be armed than not.

I think that if you're downsizing but sticking to the same platform or even just the same action, you're going to be higher up on the power curve than if you go with something totally different. For the former, it's more about getting comfortable with the size of the weapon where it comes to its "handling characteristics" (hey, I'm a car guy, OK? :P :lol: ) and manipulations (due to its smaller size).
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Mike:

Furthest thing from my mind would be to tell you not to buy another gun :D.... Heck, buy several and send me one :mrgreen: .

However, whatever you buy should be as identical to what you normally carry that all controls are more or less in the same place, and work identically. Otherwise, you may be in trouble someday....

I used to carry a 4" S&W Model 10 Heavy Barrel (.38Spl) and a Walther PPK/S as a backup. Although the Walther's a DA/SA, which means it more or less feels like the Mod10, it's got a safety. Ooops.... Likewise, if you back up a gun that has a thumb safety with one that also has one, but works backwards, oops...

It seems to be safe enough to not worry about grip safeties, nor to worry about the backup/alternate not having a thumb safety. If you try to snap off a thumb safety that's not there, it may be a little disconcerting, but you won't screw it up. Going the opposite way might be a problem.

Since you're into 9mm, the S&W Shield9 is a very good choice, IMHO. It usually comes with a thumb safety, but it's safe enough to carry with the safety off.

I'm not familiar with the fns9c, but within the above, it should be acceptable if it matches your larger gun.

I'm big enough to conceal about anything but an AR, and my "outdoors" EDC is an Officer's sized 1911, but I sometimes grab a full sized 1911 or a Commander-sized double-stacker. The mags are a major issue :D.... Around the house, it's an M&P40FS or 40C. Very lightweight, and they don't need a special belt, etc. Right now, there's an M&P Shield40 in my bathrobe. (Don't ask....)

Regards,

Since you're into 9mm,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
ArmedAviator

Post by ArmedAviator »

I'm 5'9" and around 220 lbs on a good day. I have carried a full size 1911 religiously year-round with no issues in both IWB and OWB holsters. I always wear an unbuttoned shirt over my gun.

I recently started carrying an XD-S9 which I am enjoying due to the much reduced weight, and the smaller size ia nice too
I always carry with the extended 8-round magazine for better grip and still doesn't print on me. I do enjoy the smaller gun now, just need a better holster.
Good luck and stand fast, true Patriots.
TDwin
trustycow

Post by trustycow »

SMMAssociates wrote:Mike:

Furthest thing from my mind would be to tell you not to buy another gun :D.... Heck, buy several and send me one :mrgreen: .

However, whatever you buy should be as identical to what you normally carry that all controls are more or less in the same place, and work identically. Otherwise, you may be in trouble someday....

I used to carry a 4" S&W Model 10 Heavy Barrel (.38Spl) and a Walther PPK/S as a backup. Although the Walther's a DA/SA, which means it more or less feels like the Mod10, it's got a safety. Ooops.... Likewise, if you back up a gun that has a thumb safety with one that also has one, but works backwards, oops...

It seems to be safe enough to not worry about grip safeties, nor to worry about the backup/alternate not having a thumb safety. If you try to snap off a thumb safety that's not there, it may be a little disconcerting, but you won't screw it up. Going the opposite way might be a problem.

Since you're into 9mm, the S&W Shield9 is a very good choice, IMHO. It usually comes with a thumb safety, but it's safe enough to carry with the safety off.

I'm not familiar with the fns9c, but within the above, it should be acceptable if it matches your larger gun.

I'm big enough to conceal about anything but an AR, and my "outdoors" EDC is an Officer's sized 1911, but I sometimes grab a full sized 1911 or a Commander-sized double-stacker. The mags are a major issue :D.... Around the house, it's an M&P40FS or 40C. Very lightweight, and they don't need a special belt, etc. Right now, there's an M&P Shield40 in my bathrobe. (Don't ask....)

Regards,

Since you're into 9mm,
Great reply thanks a lot i really appreciate it! My link to the article didn't work so just to make sure everyone can see the guns i'm talking about here it is again Best Guns for Concealed Carry in Ohio.

I think I may try to opt for a larger caliber in a smaller frame based off the advice here. But what holsters is everyone using to conceal these 1911's and stuff. I just tested mine out a custom IWB one from a local gun shop, and you can definetly see the gun profile from just about every angle.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

trustycow wrote:But what holsters is everyone using to conceal these 1911's and stuff. I just tested mine out a custom IWB one from a local gun shop, and you can definetly see the gun profile from just about every angle.
It's really trial-and-error, and unfortunately it's much less common that you'll get it right right from the git, versus needing to pursue a few different iterations.

It's about how the holster is set up in relation to your body (depth of ride, "clocking" around the waist, cant, how "tight" it is to the body) and the interaction of those factors as well as the holster's own mounting hardware to the belt itself, plus not only the type of clothing you wear, but how that particular type of clothing interacts with your specific body build. All of this then plays with your personal preference as to ease of access and speed of presentation. There's lots of compromises here, already.

To top that off, there's the completely subjective assessment of what's "sufficient concealment." Something that "barely prints" for one person may scream "gun" to another.

And then that all interacts with your totally subjective measure of "comfort." Ever had someone complain that your favorite armchair was like sitting in a marshmallow or sitting on a rock? Same idea. :wink: :)
BuckJM53

Post by BuckJM53 »

trustycow wrote:.... But what's everyone else's take on this, do you have a seasonal CCW gun?

Thanks for the input
TC ... My carry rotation is not seasonal (Springfield 1911 Micro-compact, CZ RAMI 2075 or Hi-Power). With reasonable planning & effort, all three can be concealed whether I'm dressed up, in business casual or kicking around in jeans or shorts :)
"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15" - Ronald Reagan
JU-87
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by JU-87 »

To answer original question: No.
I carry a Glock model 30 ( compact .45acp, 10 rd mag), and a spare 13 rd mag, year round. T-shirt or hawiian shirt untucked.
NO ONE WILL NOTICE. They all have there face in there cell phone. Serious.
Best regards.
:)
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun... Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson, 1785.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. http://warisaracket.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Henry Kissinger said, "Military Men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in Foreign Policy" and has not denied this quote to this day.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

JU-87 wrote: NO ONE WILL NOTICE. They all have there face in there cell phone. Serious.
Best regards.
:)
This is becoming more true every day. My one boss at work has turned into a "digital dead walker" like in the radio and TV ads. He might be anywhere in the building or on the grounds, wandering around in animated conversation with his idiot box. One of these days I expect him to be a pedestrian fatality.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ "Dumbwalking" - http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-28208144" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Japan enters the era of smartphones and 'dumbwalking'
By Alex Marshall, BBC News.

There's an awesome Japanese simulation referenced in that article - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NDuWV9UAvs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My daughter loves to walk around the house with a book in her hands. I call it "Smartwalking." Same consequences.
BadCrosshairDay

Post by BadCrosshairDay »

The FNS-9 that OP mentioned carrying is a compact isn't it? 4 inch double stack 9mm.

I carry a handgun that size year round. The reason is, the gun I'd want in my hand should I need one during the winter is the same as the one I'd want during the summer. That goes for the holster too.

I own a smaller single stack semiauto, but I've never had an outfit where I could conceal it but not the glock 19. That is why I wouldn't see much value to having both an FNS-9 and an FNS-9c, if they'd be carried in the same spot. I've met better shooters that EDC the FNS-9c size and smaller, but my reduced capability with those guns is not worth the tradeoff to me.

Have you tried going up a t-shirt size? Or adding an unbuttoned button down? An actual gun belt might help too. Personally, I prefer nylon and not leather, because of how precise the adjustment is. No one can see the belt under the un-tucked shirts anyway.

For the very few instances that the 19 won't work I have to drop down to a pocket revolver.
tracker1

Post by tracker1 »

I carry Glocks but I bought a no safety 9mm Shield for summer carry. This gun has worked great, it's flat, light weight, and shoots great.
Member - Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network
Bigger Bullets Leave Bigger Marks