Online buying, tips, recommendations, warnings question

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Online buying, tips, recommendations, warnings question

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

CCIman wrote:...
Keep in mind when that LGS is showing you the NEW gun in his case (handled by 100 people before you), he has to pay rent/mortgage, utilities, buying that nice glass case, salary/commision/benefits for that dude showing you the gun, pads for the top of the case, put up with the 30 people looking at the gun before buying it, taking out a loan and paying interest for having the gun in his case, fees for the ffl license, etc...
Having a store like Vance's in central Ohio is nice because they have a decent selection of guns to pick up and 'play with', an assortment of popular guns to rent at their range (Obetz store in SE Columbus), and a healthy stock of virgin guns in the back room.

My LGS has one of each of what he has, which isn't a lot. Of course, his entire building could fit in the checkout area of Vance's Obetz store. :P
CCIman wrote:An online FFL transfer is less than 15 min. of his actual time, no overhead for the event except internet or cell phone, and no money out of his pocket beyond the FFL fees, no product headaches, and cash up front.
My LGS has no problem with transfers. It's a cash business (but they will accept your charge card).
MyWifeSaidYes
techmike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by techmike »

I have had exceptional experiences with Gallery of Guns. You find a gun you like, provide your zip code and shop prices at local stores that subscribe to the gallery of guns. If you decide to buy, you pay a % of the gun's cost to gallery, they 2nd day ship the gun to the local store where you do the paper work and pay the remainder of the $$. Very smooth transactions and good customer service.
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Sevens wrote:Buying new from shop or gun show is simply going to be a different experience than buying sight unseen from a non-local source. Freedom to choose -- and you'll be paying whichever way you choose to go.

I am fortunate in that I tend to have a nearly 0% interest in nearly anything that anyone makes today. Really. Certainly, there are occasional exceptions. But for the most part, my task is FINDING what I want, not worrying quite so much about the possibility of it being a lemon or otherwise problematic.
Your sentiment sounds similar to a friend of mine. When he found out I was considering buying a modern gun he gave me a little good natured grief. He's a traditionalist, only likes guns with a long history, and made of steel and wood, not as he calls it "plastic." His motto is if it ain't broke don't fix it. A couple of his carry guns are older than he is, but they're still functional. :)

Thanks everyone for the advice.
HancockCountyHAl

Post by HancockCountyHAl »

Rural King has very good sale prices if they have what you want.
HancockCountyHaL
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

techmike wrote:I have had exceptional experiences with Gallery of Guns. You find a gun you like, provide your zip code and shop prices at local stores that subscribe to the gallery of guns. If you decide to buy, you pay a % of the gun's cost to gallery, they 2nd day ship the gun to the local store where you do the paper work and pay the remainder of the $$. Very smooth transactions and good customer service.
You forgot to mention the additional LIFETIME WARRANTY provided by Gallery of Guns / Davidson's to the original purchaser of any firearm from them, which is in addition to the manufacturers warranty. Pretty good deal for those firearms with rather limited warranties such as Kimbers.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

HancockCountyHAl wrote:Rural King has very good sale prices if they have what you want.
I did recently find out they have little interest in special ordering anything. I suppose it keeps things simpler, but they demurred getting me a left hand holster for a particular gun, although they had lefty rigs in that brand for other models. The clerk said 'Well, you could call or stop in and maybe we'll have gotten one in."

Told him that might be feasible if, you know, I lived two blocks away.

Oh well, they aren't perfect, such is life.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
CCIman

Post by CCIman »

RRK has good prices in their print ads, but good luck finding it in stock, and you still pay gas and sales tax= more than free shipping and transfer fee. The nearest RRK to me is 20 miles= 40 mi. RT + time.

I don't pay FFL fees with CC, that's 3% of the top for the FFL. Since I do lots of online transfers, I want my FFL's nice to do business with. If you have one willing to do under $15, that is a steal of a deal.

I have no issues buying a used or new gun sight unseen with proper description ( I don't need to fondle it to buy it)- nearly half my collection is previously owned. Remember that most gun owners rarely shoot much ammo through them before deciding that it is not for them (for whatever silly reason), and they trade in for another model-- none of my used guns bought online show any wear - some look almost brand new. 1000 rounds through a handgun is literally nothing... barely breaking it in. All police tradeins will show lots of surface wear, but rarely any internal wear. In the case of used Glocks- you can send it to Glock, and they replace all the internals with new and ship it right back to you, often replacing the mags. Most every gun sold today has a lifetime warranty.
'CAN' does not equal "SHOULD'.
Darkness

Post by Darkness »

I'm not so sure of the savings you get from out of state purchases due to "no sales tax". After all, when you guys are doing your Ohio State Income taxes, you are listing all these gun purchases and paying your Use Tax, right?

Of course you are!
It was not fair, it was not fair, it was not fair. So cried his child's heart, and then his child's heart died a little. For that is also the way of the world.
techmike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by techmike »

Darkness wrote:I'm not so sure of the savings you get from out of state purchases due to "no sales tax". After all, when you guys are doing your Ohio State Income taxes, you are listing all these gun purchases and paying your Use Tax, right?

Of course you are!
With Gallery of Guns, one pays at a local store. No laws or tax codes are circumvented.
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788
Tru-Heathen

Post by Tru-Heathen »

Darkness wrote:I'm not so sure of the savings you get from out of state purchases due to "no sales tax". After all, when you guys are doing your Ohio State Income taxes, you are listing all these gun purchases and paying your Use Tax, right?

Of course you are!

Yes I am. And have the records from each year's purchases to back it up.

Remember Al Capone didn't go to prison for bootlegging. He was there for tax evasion.
A wayfarer should not walk unarmed,
But have his weapons to hand:
He knows not when he may need a spear,
Or what menace meet on the road.

- Verse 38 from the Havamal, the Wisdom of Odin.
charleston

Post by charleston »

I do agree with what the one member said about the LGS $15-$25 fee for transferring a firearm. That's quick easy money for them. I have a couple buddies with local stores and I buy used guns from them here and there, but do a bunch of online tranfers. This way you can still support the local businesses, but get around having to spend the sales tax. Of course I usually always buy used guns online from different forums, so that is a little different then looking for new guns.