Almost a Very Bad Thing (Need to find a Gunsmith)

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

pediem
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Almost a Very Bad Thing (Need to find a Gunsmith)

Post by pediem »

Finally got around to cleaning a couple of rifles last night (well...actually...my bf did the cleaning, because I'm still not quite sure how all the fiddly bits on an AR work, but I'm learning!). First one went swimmingly, other than a few of the pieces not wanting to reassemble once or twice.

Then, on to the SBR. Peeked inside the can...not too bad. Set that aside. Disassemble it. Squirt stuff down the barrel. Clean fiddly bits. Go to scrub barrel...

Brush stops.

Poke it a few times... Nope. Held it up and tried to look down the barrel...and all the cleaning fluid came running right back out. Oops!

Apparently, the last round fired must've been a squib and got itself lodged tight. A few taps with a rod and mallet didn't unseat it, so we quit.

Now I'm stuck. I'm going to need professional gunsmithing to get that round out and have the barrel inspected. Does anyone have recommendations for gunsmithing services either in the NE corner of the state or down by Cincinnati?

Thanks much!
A_F

Re: Almost a Very Bad Thing (Need to find a Gunsmith)

Post by A_F »

Glad that was the last round of the day! Hope you get it sorted out.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Glad it was the last round of the day so nothing tragic happened!

As far as gunsmiths, I don't have a specific recommendation but I've used the gunsmith at Dobransky's in North Canton for a couple of things and he's done good work for me. If you are reasonably local to him it might be worth talking to him.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

If was the last round (and not two squibs in a row sort of thing), most any gunsmith should be able to remove it and check the barrel. Not saying take it anywhere, just saying it is not complex work.

I don't have particular recommendations, sorry.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
ruger

Post by ruger »

Not sure if you are near Loudonville, Ohio, (Mohican State Forest area) but the guys at Fin Feather referred me to Whitetail Gunsmithing in Loudonville when I was looking for a gun smith last year. I have not contacted them yet, but if the guys at FFF recommended them, I assume they must be good.
landrvrnut22

Post by landrvrnut22 »

If it is in fact an SBR, I believe there is a process to transfer to a gunsmith for repair. You may get away with it on an AR if you just take the upper.

I recommend Dave Laubert of Defensive Creations. Sometimes he can repair while you wait, so it doesn't need logged in.
Dieselnut

Post by Dieselnut »

Use a dowel rod or cleaning rod carefully and tap it out with a hammer. Shine a bore light in the barrel to inspect the rifling and check for and bulges (they may look like a ring in the rifling). Run your fingers down the exterior to feel of any bulges or abnormalities.

The next time you go to the range, shoot it without the suppressor until you deem it safe.

This is assuming you don't take it to a gunsmith. Personally I wouldn't, unless you detect more problems.
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

Not sure whereabouts in NE Ohio you are, but for any gunsmithing work I highly recommend Jim Majoros over at Viktors Legacy in Fairport Harbour.

http://www.viktorslegacy.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
pediem
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by pediem »

Thanks much for all of the ideas.

The gunsmith who originally made the lower and put the rifle together for me took the upper back and is working on the problem. Soaking it hasn't worked, so it's going to involve drilling the bullet (which may ding up the barrel). I was shooting off-the-shelf 220gr subsonic rounds, so I guess it's not surprising that if one got stuck, it -really- got stuck.