Looking for a new flashlight

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

herp_man2003

Re: Looking for a new flashlight

Post by herp_man2003 »

Watched a couple of reviews on the nitecore mh12 today although it saves the last setting I do like that it even saves the strobe settings. It does not appear that it comes with a pocket clip and that is a must have. As for the blade my leatherman wingman has the blade on the exterior of the tool an it has very easy access. I really do like it, but I carry my spyderco on the weekend's. I will do some more reading and review watching before I make up my mind. Thanks Anthony
herp_man2003

Post by herp_man2003 »

I was mistaken the my12 does come with a pocket clip. I also found the p12gt. I like the throw on that thing. Are there any disadvantages to having a long throw in more of a close quarters situation? Thanks Anthony
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

herp_man2003 wrote:Watched a couple of reviews on the nitecore mh12 today although it saves the last setting I do like that it even saves the strobe settings. It does not appear that it comes with a pocket clip and that is a must have.
herp_man2003 wrote:I was mistaken the my12 does come with a pocket clip. I also found the p12gt. I like the throw on that thing. Are there any disadvantages to having a long throw in more of a close quarters situation? Thanks Anthony
The Nitecore clips seem to be decently stout, but I really cannot make any recommendations on it either way: I just haven't really used it enough to say, one way or the other. OK, that's not completely true, I do clip it to my sweats to walk the dog, but that's not really true-EDC. :oops:

Their lanyard, though, is less than ideal. It uses a thin loop of what appears/feels to be nylon braid that's attached to the main (and rather nice) lanyard portion to gothrough the two tiny holes at the base of the light so as to anchor the lanyard to the light. Over time, that loop will both age and fray. If you like to use a lanyard, you may want to thread through paracord core yourself, instead.

In terms of throw versus short-distance use, typically, in order to obtain throw, the trade-off is spread/beam width/"cornoa" close-up.

Will this affect use?

Yes and no.

If you're indoors in an average American home, with plenty of reflective surfaces and probably even white or off-white walls and with a similarly colored ceiling, given the high output of the light in-question, that light is going to "bounce" everywhere, and you'll more than likely light up an entire bedroom or modest living room no matter where you cast the hot-spot of that beam.

However, if you're outdoors or perhaps inside where the walls/objects are farther away (i.e. a warehouse) and thus do not facilitate that light "bouncing," you can potentially get into a situation where if the light is either not operated properly or if you scan too quickly that you literally skip over something important. Here's an example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZlVRh0O25M" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
[ Note, this video does contain mature language. ]

^ Look at the run starting at 1:58. At the 2:07 time-point, the shooter towards the bottom of the screen (the one checked by Rogers [white hair, wearing a red strobe on his back]) turned off his light during his after-shoot search/assessment, and that led to him completely skipping over a threat due (which he returns to at ~2:15 at the urging of the instructor) to the beam shape of his WML and the dark, light-absorbing nature of the shoot-house walls.

All this is to say that while raw power (i.e. output) can sometimes compensate for shortcomings of the physical beam construct (whether it be throw or spread), there are going to be some scenarios where it's just not going to be a good fit. Bias your beam construct towards your highest-probability usage.

With most of these "civilian EDC" lights that have bezels in the 1-inch (diameter) range and body lengths around 5 to 6 inches, one of the biggest limitations is just reflector size/shape. There's really only so much you can do within the confines of those physical parameters which, if-exceeded, makes clipped pocket carry a bit bulky or otherwise unwieldy. Being able to step up to an ~1.25" diameter size for the bezel and a commensurately larger reflector can help tremendously: witness the Surefire Fury line. Unfortunately, for most of us without Bat-belts, that's a bit more bulk than we'd like for EDC.

[ Other resources to help this discussion: http://www.breachbangclear.com/lumens-m ... they-dont/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and from the Elzetta YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAbGKr0EZDU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qSOowE_LsY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (note that with these last two videos, Nitecore does supply us with their claimed Lumens and Candela specs..... ]
As for the blade my leatherman wingman has the blade on the exterior of the tool an it has very easy access. I really do like it, but I carry my spyderco on the weekend's.
I really like the blades on my Leatherman Freestyle CX (daily carry) and Wave (it's always in the range-bag), but, especially of the former, I know I cannot count on it in a defensive scenario due to the exposed-to-the-grip liner. Even the liner position of the Wave makes me think twice.... Nevertheless, they are excellent utility blades, and do lock up quite nicely! :)
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
herp_man2003

Post by herp_man2003 »

I think im gonna give the p12 gt a shot. The rechargeable battery worries me but I think i will just keep some cr 123 batteries around as back up incase it fails me at some point. I love the size of it and I think the amount of light will work for me in 95% of what I need it for there may only be a few times where I would wish it had a wider beam. I will post back with a review of it when I get it. Thanks Anthony
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ Best of luck! :)

Take Andrew's low-light class - https://apexshooting.mycustomevent.com/ ... rce=search" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; so you can show off your new toy! 8) :D
jobu72
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by jobu72 »

slowhand23 wrote:Another vote for the Foursevens Quarks, prefer the older interface modes over the current but both great for EDC.
I will second (or third? 4sevens quark series).

I had (and regretfully lost) a Gen2 QT2L-X 2XCR123A With Burst Mode. It has the older interface which for my desires was much more beneficial. I really don't like their new interface.

My main desire was default high brightness first. But has to have an easy to use low level. It is programmable to two modes only, but has many to choose from. So my default mode was highest, twist the head slightly to my next favorite mode "moonlight" at 0.5 lumens, perfect for finding stuff in a dark bedroom, reading paper in dark, not disturbing others, etc.

It is discontinued, but there is a seller on amazon for $75. It shows a picture of it being short, like 1 CR123 battery, but it comes with an extension tube that makes it perfect palm grip length. And it is thinner, including the head, than anything else I have found in its brightness class.

I still have not found anything else I personally like more than this one. I would buy it again, even used if I could not find new I like it that much.
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

On the cheap - I have a MagLight XL50 that does all I need it to do. I picked mine up for about $14 on clearance at Lowe's, but even full retail is only mid-$30...
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
herp_man2003

Post by herp_man2003 »

I'm liking the p12gt so far. I bought some rechargeable batteries for it and like it so far. I will report back again after if had some more time with it. Thanks Anthony
Anthd

Post by Anthd »

Gander Mountain has a 120 lumen LED for about $30. Probably the best flashlight I've owned. Hi low and strobe functions are a good and if you blast it in someone's face (for defense purposes, of course) it pretty much incapacitates them it's so bright.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government"

General George Washington
nksmfamjp

Post by nksmfamjp »

It is hilarious to me that you are liking your P12. I was just going to suggest it. The only negative is that it is just too mush biggesr than my ex10.
northhillguy

Post by northhillguy »

Not sure if you have chosen a light get or not. But I love my plight s1 baton
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

northhillguy wrote:Not sure if you have chosen a light get or not. But I love my plight s1 baton
Looks like the Intr4w3bz pwned you on that one with a typo! :lol: I assume you meant Olight:

https://olightworld.com/store/flashlight/s1-baton.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:)
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

Pretty good reviews on the Olight M-22.

http://www.amazon.com/Olight-M22-flashl ... B00BSHBCNS" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
northhillguy

Post by northhillguy »

TSiWRX wrote:
northhillguy wrote:Not sure if you have chosen a light get or not. But I love my plight s1 baton
Looks like the Intr4w3bz pwned you on that one with a typo! :lol: I assume you meant Olight:

https://olightworld.com/store/flashlight/s1-baton.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:)
haha, yupp thats the one!