Freedom Munitions

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Curzyk

Re: Freedom Munitions

Post by Curzyk »

Sevens wrote:SOME folks will hate the opinion I intend to drop. Sorry... heh. Or not. Whatever. If you have an inkling that you might be one of those folks...
STOP READING NOW!
<snip>
Bottom line? Be offended if it pleases you-- I have never shot Freedom Munitions ammo. I have no plans to do so, I also will not recommend it to anyone.
I'm right there with you. I actually didn't see my own post about Freedom Munitions in my search, which is disappointing. I have experienced some quality issues, which can lead to safety issues if they went unnoticed. Freedom Munitions loads are typically light. I won't buy re-manufactured anymore, and prefer factory new from LAX. Nice, hot loads at respectable prices.
powrguy

Post by powrguy »

I've fired thousands of rounds of Freedom Munitions 115gr remanufactured 9mm. I have had zero failures. This is over the past 3 years. Weapons used were S&W MP9, S&W Shield 9, and CZ75B.

I have not used other than 9mm Reman from them, as I now do my own reloading of them.
Glock Rock

Post by Glock Rock »

Freedom Munitions anecdote.

Took a 1,000 round carbine class last summer with an FS2000 and Colt AR. Had a variety of ammo. FWIW Freedom 223 55gr New was the only ammo out of 5 brands that wouldn't cycle both guns consistently.
CCIman

Post by CCIman »

Glock Rock wrote:Freedom Munitions anecdote.

Took a 1,000 round carbine class last summer with an FS2000 and Colt AR. Had a variety of ammo. FWIW Freedom 223 55gr New was the only ammo out of 5 brands that wouldn't cycle both guns consistently.
If you were in Cincy, I'd buy the rest from you.
'CAN' does not equal "SHOULD'.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

This thread has stayed on the rails because people are posting first hand accounts of their experiences with the brand. Many a conversation like this has gone down the drain when posts start with "My cousin's brother in law said a guy at the range was talking about..."

Since giving up on reloading 9mm (my guns in that caliber prefer fmj rather than lead so unless I can catch a heckuva deal on the jacketed bullets it's not worth the price difference to me) I have tried lots of store bought brands including Freedom Munitions. The ammo all cycled okay but my chronograph confirmed my impression that velocity isn't very consistent.

Don't think I've tried any of their other offerings.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

I see what you mean (no, I really do) HOWEVER, you are mistaken if you believe that some of the "3rd party" things we have relayed are irrelevant. My additions to this thread specifically. I do not have first-hand experience with the Freedom simply because I am a very active handloader, around 15k annually so I very literally won't buy ANYONE'S center fire ammo.

And yet, I have observations (valid ones) because enough folks know me and ask me these exact questions OFTEN and it means a lot to me to give them quality advice. So yes, you can bet that I do my level best to dig for information on the topics I post about.

A loaded 9mm-spec 115gr over 1,000fps round has NEVER left my bench shoe-horned in to a piece of .380 brass. Freedom Munitions cannot say the same thing.

Furthermore
If you are shooting Freedom Munitions, you must know you absolutely are not shooting FMJ ammo. In fact, you are shooting the same bullets I shoot: Xtreme plated. (it's just that my loads are better)
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

Freedom Munitions has started a 7.5% discount for instructors.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

:lol:
Sevens wrote:I see what you mean (no, I really do) HOWEVER, you are mistaken if you believe that some of the "3rd party" things we have relayed are irrelevant. My additions to this thread specifically. I do not have first-hand experience with the Freedom simply because I am a very active handloader, around 15k annually so I very literally won't buy ANYONE'S center fire ammo.

And yet, I have observations (valid ones) because enough folks know me and ask me these exact questions OFTEN and it means a lot to me to give them quality advice. So yes, you can bet that I do my level best to dig for information on the topics I post about.

A loaded 9mm-spec 115gr over 1,000fps round has NEVER left my bench shoe-horned in to a piece of .380 brass. Freedom Munitions cannot say the same thing.

Furthermore
If you are shooting Freedom Munitions, you must know you absolutely are not shooting FMJ ammo. In fact, you are shooting the same bullets I shoot: Xtreme plated. (it's just that my loads are better)
I would not even think about shootin that goat roping ammo. :wink: :lol:
Black Rifles Matter
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

My personal experience with Freedom Munitions (9mm, new)...

I had 1k rounds, 500 each from two different lots. One lot was so bad - over 10% failure rate - FM sent me a prepaid label for me to return it. The other lot - meh - maybe 2%. ...low enough to be acceptable in practice ammo. Of course, I now know a little bit more about them thanks to one of the instructors at TDI. Their brass, in 9mm at least, had a shoulder inside the case that made them somewhat more prone to rupture. Supposedly that issue has been corrected. I think I've used up the last of the "acceptable" lot. I will not be buying anymore.
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ Out of curiosity, when did you purchase the two lots? I wonder if one of those two wouldn't have matched the spike I saw in FTF, too....

---

As I mentioned previously, I've got another 1K of new 9mm purchased within the last two months, and will report back after using it.

My last case - the third of their new 9mm that I've shot - just the other night. I had a total of 4 FTFs from this case.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
Whirlwind06
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Whirlwind06 »

I bought 500 rounds of their .357 125 grain FP new ammo and 100 rounds of the .357 125 grain XTP. I'm almost though the FP, so far so good. I have shot hotter .357 125 grain but it runs in my revolvers. But being a revolver as long as it actually comes out of the barrel and it's not over charged things are good. :)
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

Been through approx. 1500 rounds 9mm new and reman so far with one failure to fire. Light firing pin strike? I have been shooting various lots purchased at various times.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

TSiWRX wrote:^ Out of curiosity, when did you purchase the two lots? I wonder if one of those two wouldn't have matched the spike I saw in FTF, too...
As I recall it was around this time last year.
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ Thanks. :)

Mine was a couple of months earlier than yours. My records show that I ordered a case on 1/17/15. That's not the case that spiked for me.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

Actually, I stand corrected - I ordered 500 11/30/2014, another 500 on 12/15/2014 - not sure which batch was which. Stuff just got thrown in the mix with everything else which is why it took me a while to absolutely ID a problem.