Remington R51 Review and Range Report

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Bruenor

Re: Remington R51 Review and Range Report

Post by Bruenor »

TSiWRX wrote:
EMPJohn wrote:Hopefully that's not 38,000 of just R-51s, but reflects all the current RMAs. Otherwise, it must be darn near every one they've sold so far.
<whispers> XD-S...... :P
At least Springfield gave every customer a 7 round mag and grip extension for the inconvenience. I thought Springfield did OK with their recall all things considered. :)
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Remington must be using the same system that the ACA is using... :)
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Bruenor wrote:
TSiWRX wrote:
EMPJohn wrote:Hopefully that's not 38,000 of just R-51s, but reflects all the current RMAs. Otherwise, it must be darn near every one they've sold so far.
<whispers> XD-S...... :P
At least Springfield gave every customer a 7 round mag and grip extension for the inconvenience. I thought Springfield did OK with their recall all things considered. :)
^ I think they did OK, too (well, except how much of a total cluster it was at the very beginning - that was a total mess), given the scale of the recall.

Which is more what I was whispering about. :wink: :)
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
calvin56

Post by calvin56 »

Just got my hands on one. It was so rough out of the box I almost didn't buy it. Stripped it and spent ten minutes with a couple of stones. Back together and 100 sent downrange, no problems. Played with it a little more and was able to induce a stovepipe when I was testing the grip safety. I was only holding the gun with two fingers so it was kind of a mega limpwrist.

The roughness I saw was with the lug in the slide that cocks the hammer. It was rough but polished easily.

The hammer needed nothing.

The barrel mounting method is not conducive to good accuracy. All the pressure is on the slide stop. If it was faced flush into the frame it would shoot better. Still, it was giving me 3" groups at 15 yards firing quickly.

It had more recoil than I expected but still less than any other 9 of that size I have fired.
lionsfan

Post by lionsfan »

Military Arms Channel just released a review on the R51. Many misfeeds, slide not returning to battery and one actually firing out of battery, badly bulging the case. Really not looking good for the R51.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTzS4sQf ... P-Tu6YliUQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Curzyk

Post by Curzyk »

Update #2:
I did finally get my airbill, and had my R51 shipped off on April 17th. It has been nearly a month and a half and I have heard *nothing* from Remington. I emailed them yesterday to request a status and my ticket number for my inquiry was just over 100,000. This means that in two months, they have gotten nearly 70K inquiries/support requests through their system. 35K/month sounds like an awful lot to me, but I don't know the quantities that they are shipping.

I will say that I'm tired of waiting. They have my money and I have nothing. I will be following up my inquiry with a phone call and start escalating the issue until I either get a working firearm or a full refund.
EMPJohn

Post by EMPJohn »

Ugh. Remington should have just shot themselves in the foot with the first one to roll off the production line and been done with this mess.
dan dan the XD40 man

Post by dan dan the XD40 man »

I ordered a dummy gun right away for this pistol, expecting it would be quite a hit with the concealed carry people.

It almost appears that I could carry the dummy gun itself and have about the same functionality as the real gun huh?
Poop!
Vex

Post by Vex »

Hope they get these worked out. I'm looking forward to suppressing one.
  • “You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun than you can with just a kind word.” - Al Capone
  • “Victorious warriors win first, then go to war; defeated warriors go to war first, then seek to win.” - Sun-Tzu
Curzyk

Post by Curzyk »

Update 3:
Phone is definitely the way to go for Remington support. Spoke to a nice fellow and the only status he could give me is that my pistol was still being worked on. I told him that 6+ weeks seemed unreasonable and he offered me a refund. I had to forward a copy of my receipt, and I insisted that they refund the firearm, shipping and local FFL fees. Just emailed them on the status of the refund and he said that it was signed off and sent to accounting and I should have my check within 2 weeks.
EMPJohn

Post by EMPJohn »

Smartest thing you could do. Glad Remington took care of you.
BobK

Post by BobK »

Even if they had fixed the gun and returned it, I could never have enough confidence in its reliability to carry it. Smart choice
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
BobK

Post by BobK »

Well, now it looks like Remington is replacing the original series, they have ceased production of the R51, and expect to address quality flaws over the next few months before they start production up again.

There is no longer any mention of the R51 on Remington's website. If you look at their handgun section, it is only showing the 1911 pistols.

Remington is addressing issues surrounding the troublesome launch of their hotly-anticipated R51 single-stack subcompact and will be replacing the pistols.

Got to be a little embarrassing for Holt Bodindson whose R51 review is in the current GUNS magazine (Sept 2014). He is basically raving about what a great gun it is at the same time Remington pulls it all back and ceases selling it. Maybe he is used to being an industry shill.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Winner of the 2014 Edsel Award as voted by CEO's of America's Top 200 manufacturing companies. (Hey, I really want this award thing to take off.)
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
calvin56

Post by calvin56 »

Remington did really drop the ball on this. I am probably one of the few people to give it a decent review, and that was only after I worked on it. One of the original mags malfunctioned. There are no replacements, if you want a new mag the only way to get one is to send the gun back as defective. This is before the recall.

After putting quite a few rounds through it I have noticed a few design shortcomings. I am hoping the recall addresses them. These design issues are not present in the original .32 model 51.