Remington R51 Review and Range Report

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

MAJORSDAD13

Re: Remington R51 Review and Range Report

Post by MAJORSDAD13 »

Werz wrote:
MAJORSDAD13 wrote:Almost every review I saw online said that the R51 was a POS.

I just received my Gun Test magazine on Friday and was astonished that they rated it so high. They may have to eat some crow on this one.
Not given the disclaimers ...

It appears that Remington acknowledges that the R51 is very "ammo fussy," and that you should only use only Remington and Barnes ammo. From the Gun Tests article:
The mechanism depends on the timing and force of the pressure curve of the ammunition for proper operation.
Of course, they intentionally used other ammo, and they had problems. But they noted that, as long as they used the specified ammo, it was problem-free. They seemed to be satisfied with the ammo limitations listed in the user manual.

I don't like limitations such as those, but remember the basic rule: RTFM.
I read the article but don't agree with Remington's back door limitations on ammo mentioned in the owner's manual after someone has purchased it. Given all of the press that was released by Remington, that point is never mentioned in any of the videos from SHOT Show. Given the track record of the conglomerate that owns them, it's no surprise about their given deception.

As for some of the other issues that weren't ammo related, the R51 is a POS. I held one at a local dealer shortly after being introduced and between the inconsistent trigger pull, rough action while racking the slide and stiff magazine release, that wasn't the only issues Remington had with it. Hence the temporary halt in production.
Powder Room Firearms

Post by Powder Room Firearms »

We had one come into our shop back in Powell. First impression was not great and then I shot one. The gun was awesome. I know a lot of them had issues but this one was great. Ate all the ammo we ran through it. Taking it apart was a pain but we were pleased with the one we got.
Curzyk

Post by Curzyk »

Powder Room Firearms wrote:We had one come into our shop back in Powell. First impression was not great and then I shot one. The gun was awesome. I know a lot of them had issues but this one was great. Ate all the ammo we ran through it. Taking it apart was a pain but we were pleased with the one we got.
I wish I would have had that experience.. It would have been my EDC right now.
Ed_S

Post by Ed_S »

So, I won a Remington R-51 in a raffle a few weeks ago. When I went to pick it up, the gun shop guys said Remington had re-issued the re-issue because of all the problems people were having. I have to say they corrected a lot of it - the slide works smoothly and with little effort, even with full mags. Recoil is reasonable - I've certainly felt more kick in other guns.

It is still more complicated to strip and clean than other guns I've shot. The first time, I had to resort to a youtube video to make sure I got everything right, because some parts will fit in there backwards or upside down if you didn't pay attention when you took it apart.

I put about 100 rounds through it, no failures to fire or to feed. My hands are medium to large, and the slide never touched them.

It's the best $10 I ever spent, and I'm very happy with it. I see online that they're retailing for $350 or a little less, and I think that's a fair price for it. I'm going to keep this one for a while.
Ed_S from Youngstown Ohio

It's not WHAT you carry - it's THAT you carry!