Gear Reviews

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Gear Reviews

Post by NavyChief »

Almost since the inception of Range Reports various reviews of gear have crept into it. While there's nothing wrong with that, it occurred to me recently that it's not really a perfect fit. Over the next day or two I'll be indexing those reports/reviews of that thread here as well. Going forward I'd like to see gear reviews posted in this thread (moving the existing ones here won't work for a couple reasons). As with Range Reports I'll endeavor to keep on top of it and index reviews as they're posted. And as with Range Reports, your help is greatly appreciated. If I miss one or you know of one floating around out there that needs indexed, shoot me a PM.
Best,
NavyChief

********************************************************************************************

Ammunition:
Centurian .223 55 Grain Bulk Pack
Hornady Critical Defense 110gr 38+P
Ranger SXT 230gr .45ACP
Ranger SXT Ammo....9mm 127 gr. I think...
Silver Bear 9x18 (Mak) 94gr HP Review (Gel & Compare)
Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel, .40S&W
WWB 147 gr. JHP 9mm
Winchester Supreme Elite PDX1 12-Ga self-defense ammo

Bushnell TRS25 Red Dot

Crimson Laser Grips

Glock Accessories:
Lone Wolf 23-9 conversion barrel (.40-9mm for Glock 23)

5.11 "Maverick Assaulters" belt

Hoppes cleaning patches, #1204S

Inova T3 Tactical Flashlight

LaRue LT-129 Aimpoint Mount

Leather Lightning (by Mitch Rosen)

NiteIze LED Mini-Maglight Upgrade Combo

Olight t10 Flashlight

Pro Mag magazines for the S&W M&P

Springfield Armory OEM XD9Sc 13-rnd flush-fit mag's

Stealth Gear USA IWB Holster

Tagua Holster Review

ThermaCELL Mosquito/Bug Repellant

Trijicon HD Night Sights

UpLULA magazine loader

Walkers Game Ear Razor Silencer Earbud (Pair)
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
Brian D.

Pro Mag magazines for the S&W M&P

Post by Brian D. »

Hello. Been enjoying a new-to-me Smith and Wesson M&P full size pistol of late. One downside right now is that spare mags for most all M&P variants except the Shield have been hard to find. On a whim today I stopped into the Rural King store in Lebanon, never visited one before. They had Pro Mag brand magazines for the M&P full size guns in both 9mm and .40 caliber. Although the tag on the wall peg stated $26 or so, it turns out the real price is $16.

Knowing Pro Mag's general bad rep I took a gamble and purchased one since my next stop was at the range. To my surprise the thing inserts, loads the chamber, functions properly all the way to slide lock empty and drops free. If I want more my plan will be to buy one at a time and try them out. The weld job across the back is fugly but the dang thing works as intended.

I guess even Pro Mag gets it right once in a while.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Gear Reviews

Post by TSiWRX »

^ Regarding the "also ran" mags, here's a little golden nugget I took away from another member on DefensiveCarry:
CR Williams wrote:I also suggest getting some of the Korean-made mags for use at the range. I got a bunch of those. They become useful after they've been run awhile and some of them start failing to function fully. Then you either get ongoing malfunction-clearance work at no extra cost, or you can take the bad ones and weight them for use in dry practice.
It's definitely not to say that all such "also ran" magazines are doomed to failure, but even if that most unfortunate circumstance should come to pass, hey, you can still make lemonade from lemons!!! :D
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Tried the magazine again this morning and it even works when the gun is being held upside down, or loose in the weak hand. (Please be careful when doing things like this folks, such function testing isn't a good idea for a newbie.)

Guess I'll try out another one or two next time I'm going by a Rural King. (I'm sure the Pro Mags may be available closer to home but I don't want anybody to see me buying them... :lol: )

********************************************************************************
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Brian D. wrote:Tried the magazine again this morning and it even works when the gun is being held upside down, or loose in the weak hand. (Please be careful when doing things like this folks, such function testing isn't a good idea for a newbie.)

Wait, you don't get your techniques from John Woo movies? :P
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

No, more like Police Squad/The Naked Gun movies. :lol:

Seriously, in a defensive situation, it's certainly possible that shooting will not be done while in a nice upright stance with strong two hand grip.

TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Brian D. wrote:No, more like Police Squad/The Naked Gun movies. :lol:
^ ROFL! :lol:
Seriously, in a defensive situation, it's certainly possible that shooting will not be done while in a nice upright stance with strong two hand grip.
Completely agreed. I think it would be a good thing for every defensive shooter to safely take a few shots from various "compromised" body positions so that they can at least have an idea of what to expect with regard to gun functionality, spent case ejection, and muzzle blast. In many instances, what I experienced took me by surprise, and I was very glad that I had the chance to explore such concerns under the watchful eyes of instructors.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Hey Navy Chief when you gonna do your indexing magic with this thread?

NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

Brian D. wrote:Hey Navy Chief when you gonna do your indexing magic with this thread?
Hhmmm - yeah... I'll get back to ya' on that.
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
Brian D.

Re: Pro Mag magazines for the S&W M&P

Post by Brian D. »

Brian D. wrote:Hello. Been enjoying a new-to-me Smith and Wesson M&P full size pistol of late. One downside right now is that spare mags for most all M&P variants except the Shield have been hard to find. On a whim today I stopped into the Rural King store in Lebanon, never visited one before. They had Pro Mag brand magazines for the M&P full size guns in both 9mm and .40 caliber. Although the tag on the wall peg stated $26 or so, it turns out the real price is $16.

Knowing Pro Mag's general bad rep I took a gamble and purchased one since my next stop was at the range. To my surprise the thing inserts, loads the chamber, functions properly all the way to slide lock empty and drops free. If I want more my plan will be to buy one at a time and try them out. The weld job across the back is fugly but the dang thing works as intended.

Forgot all about this thread. That Pro Mag for the M&P crapped out soon after I gave it a thumbs up in that review. Spring fatigued quick and permanently after a month or two. By then I'd found factory branded ones anyhow.

TJW815

Re: Pro Mag magazines for the S&W M&P

Post by TJW815 »

Brian D. wrote:
Brian D. wrote:Hello. Been enjoying a new-to-me Smith and Wesson M&P full size pistol of late. One downside right now is that spare mags for most all M&P variants except the Shield have been hard to find. On a whim today I stopped into the Rural King store in Lebanon, never visited one before. They had Pro Mag brand magazines for the M&P full size guns in both 9mm and .40 caliber. Although the tag on the wall peg stated $26 or so, it turns out the real price is $16.

Forgot all about this thread. That Pro Mag for the M&P crapped out soon after I gave it a thumbs up in that review. Spring fatigued quick and permanently after a month or two. By then I'd found factory branded ones anyhow.
I have one for my ar-15 that will not quit. It's about three or so years old now and has never had a single malfunction.

Now that I've said this it'll fall apart.
Brian D.

5.11 'Maverick Assaulters" belt.

Post by Brian D. »

Okay, so this belt is reinforced, stitched,very stiff nylon like the company's Operator and Trainer models. The main difference is that the Maverick is curved to fit the contours of a waistline better, and provide more support for guns and whatever other gear one might be carrying. The buckle is also different, being a sort of quick release design.

Not only does 5.11 have most of their apparel 25% off right now online, so did Field and Stream earlier this month. That being the case, and having some curiosity about this curved belt concept, I went to try one on before buying. Because of the shape, there's only one right way to put on and wear the belt, best I can tell. Well, that gadgety buckle was too big to fit through the generous loops on my cargo pants! Well dang, what to do here? I stood there and thought "Hey, the regular Trainer and Operator belts are on sale too, heck with this Maverick. A friend subsequently told me his wife had gotten him one for Christmas, but only a couple pairs of his pants had belt loops big enough for the belt to go through, so he rarely wore the thing.

NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Walkers Game Ear Razor Silencer Earbud (Pair)

Post by NavyChief »

They're OK. And I can see a real use for 'em if I'm shooting long guns, since muffs always interfere with a decent cheek weld for me. If I was faced with paying out-of-pocket $4-6k for a set of hearing aides, it'd be a no-brainer. Try as I might throughout the afternoon I couldn't get a "just right" fit. As far as hearing enhancement/protection goes - I really didn't notice an appreciable difference between these and my Impact Sports costing about a third the price. They'll probably be like a J-frame - carried much but used little.

http://www.gsmoutdoors.com/shopping/Sil ... P1032.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And if I hadn't already bought these, I'd probably consider the ones linked below instead. This all started with a conversation with a range buddy that needs 'em as back-up hearing aides/hearing protection (for what he's got left). I told him about them after having read about 'em in an NRA mag and one thing led to another...

http://www.gsmoutdoors.com/shopping/Razor-XV-P842.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;