AR15 considerations (was For Sale/Trade)

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

AR15 considerations (was For Sale/Trade)

Post by TunnelRat »

Petrofergov wrote:
tommcnaughton wrote:
Petrofergov wrote:Mr. Stoner was definately on a roll when he designed the AR. In terms of global popularity it rivals the mauser.
Of course a lot of that may have to do with Uncle Sam's policy of freely distributing goodies, but I agree it's a nifty rifle.
P4G wrote:The genius of the design is it's simplicity. It is an incredibly versatile platform and it is EASY to work on. You don't even need expensive tools. A good vise and a few specialized handtools and you are equipped to completely disassemble the weapon and put it back together. You sure can't say that about a mauser.
I am not a gunsmith at all. The most serious tool I take to a firearm is a screwdriver -- and even with that I tend to be very careful. I've never had the sideplate off one of my several Smiths, nor have I ever installed (or even tried to) an ambi-safety on my 1911's. I leave that sort of thing to the people who are skilled in such areas. As Dirty Harry has said, "A man's gotta know his limitations". I am good at reading, writing, and analysis, not at smithing. But it's good to know that the AR is easily wrought upon.
Petrovich wrote:There are, literally, hundreds of ways to configure an AR.
Hmmm, I'm back to Starbucks, trying to order black coffee.

I suppose I'd like something with an M16 sized, chrome lined chamber. I like the thought of reliable feeding and extraction.

Probably mil-spec heat treated fire control parts, a chrome lined bore for long life, a chrome lined bolt carrier, and standard sized fire control pins for easier repair or replacement. I'd probably prefer a forged lower receiver and a forged front sight for maximum strength.

I agree with your earlier remarks about the light model, military trim, and 16" barrel, but I don't know that I'd want to go with the HBar. "Heavy" is not a word that rings well with us old infantry types. "Heavy" needs to be carried... the HBar adds nearly a pound in weight, but I am not at all sure it makes up for it in increased accuracy -- especially if I am the shooter. Most firearms are capable of far more accuracy than I am. :cry:

Besides, I am not a bench shooter. When I think of using a rifle, I think more of the New Orleans flood, and the L.A. and Detroit riots than of rifle ranges and paper targets. My firearms are for the defense of home and family more than for punching paper. So I am much more concerned with reliablity and portability than I am with MOA accuracy. MBG -- Minute of Bad Guy -- is enough for me.

Nor do I care for the telescoping stock. I had one of those on my CAR-15 in Viet Nam. I just mashed it all the way closed and never used it. I have seen pics of ARs with the M4 short stock. I think I'd rather have that than the telescoping jobby.
I'm sure your needs would be very well satisfied with this: http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.e ... mid=286453

They don't say in the description if it's a HBAR you'd have to call and ask.

DPMS does not chrome line many of their barrels. The reason is that chrome lining a barrel, while great for corrosion resistance, detracts from accuracy by making the bore diameter a bit inconsistent. I cannot imagine that being a big deal, but that's what they say.

With the exception of the buttstock you mentioned. AIM surplus has a bushmaster that fits your bill. They are chrome lined also. http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Bush ... ifles.html
Thank you, P4G, your help has been of inestimable value to me. :D
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

My pleasure sir!! :D