In car storage. ***updated with Pictures***

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

chadwimc

Re: In car storage. ***updated with Pictures***

Post by chadwimc »

I'm glad my Ford Escape came with a built in, secret, hiding spot... :mrgreen:
Imcrazy

Post by Imcrazy »

Center console is where i keep mine, doesn't lock. I lock my car always.. W/ that said I never leave the car in risky areas like public parking lots with the gun in the car. When I was a college student I did keep it in a lock box under the seat...
-Aaron
RC1959

Post by RC1959 »

chadwimc wrote:I'm glad my Ford Escape came with a built in, secret, hiding spot... :mrgreen:
Haven't seen THAT one...

But a couple of years ago, checking out a Dodge, Advenger i think, had a cool in dash compartment that could temp control a couple of beverages which was deep enough for 1911... other than stowing it at a CPZ was kinda in plain view
OFCC Patron
NRA Life Member
RWVA Member: Have you tried Appleseed yet? http://appleseedinfo.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Infidel

Post by Loading »

I was thinking about building a box in the storage area of my Durango.
It's just about perfect for a rifle and pistol with extra mags for all.
Best part is it's factory, so it won't look out of place.

Built a nice tool box in my Jeep long ago.
3 pull out trays to hold my cable crap when I worked for TW
Put the bags and cable rolls on top of it. Worked quite well.
R.I.P The Late Great Sir Winston 1-5-01 to 8-10-13
jabeatty

Post by jabeatty »

Loading wrote:I was thinking about building a box in the storage area of my Durango.
Might want to make sure that squares-up with the law first...
--
Someone edited my signature and deleted my posts, and all I got was... this edited signature.
polizi212

Post by polizi212 »

jabeatty wrote:
Loading wrote:I was thinking about building a box in the storage area of my Durango.
Might want to make sure that squares-up with the law first...

See section I below no issue with making a hidden compartment as long as you don't hide controlled substances!

Sec. 2923.241. (A) As used in this section:

(1) "Controlled substance" has the same meaning as in section 3719.01 of the Revised Code.

(2) "Hidden compartment" means a container, space, or enclosure that conceals, hides, or otherwise prevents the discovery of the contents of the container, space, or enclosure. "Hidden compartment" includes, but is not limited to, any of the following:

(a) False, altered, or modified fuel tanks;

(b) Any original factory equipment on a vehicle that has been modified to conceal, hide, or prevent the discovery of the modified equipment's contents;

(c) Any compartment, space, box, or other closed container that is added or attached to existing compartments, spaces, boxes, or closed containers integrated or attached to a vehicle.

(3) "Vehicle" has the same meaning as in section 4511.01 of the Revised Code and includes, but is not limited to, a motor vehicle, commercial tractor, trailer, noncommercial trailer, semitrailer, mobile home, recreational vehicle, or motor home.

(4) "Motor vehicle," "commercial trailer," "trailer," "noncommercial trailer," "semitrailer," "mobile home," "manufacturer," "recreational vehicle," and "motor home" have the same meanings as in section 4501.01 of the Revised Code.

(5) "Motor vehicle dealer" has the same meaning as in section 4517.01 of the Revised Code.

(B) No person shall knowingly design, build, construct, or fabricate a vehicle with a hidden compartment, or modify or alter any portion of a vehicle in order to create or add a hidden compartment, with the intent to facilitate the unlawful concealment or transportation of a controlled substance.

(C) No person shall knowingly operate, possess, or use a vehicle with a hidden compartment with knowledge that the hidden compartment is used or intended to be used to facilitate the unlawful concealment or transportation of a controlled substance.

(D) No person who has been convicted of or pleaded guilty to a violation of aggravated trafficking in drugs under section 2925.03 of the Revised Code that is a felony of the first or second degree shall operate, possess, or use a vehicle with a hidden compartment.

(E) Whoever violates division (B) of this section is guilty of designing a vehicle with a hidden compartment used to transport a controlled substance. Except as otherwise provided in this division, designing a vehicle with a hidden compartment used to transport a controlled substance is a felony of the fourth degree. If the offender previously has been convicted of or pleaded guilty to a violation of division (B) of this section, designing a vehicle with a hidden compartment used to transport a controlled substance is a felony of the third degree.

(F) Whoever violates division (C) or (D) of this section is guilty of operating a vehicle with a hidden compartment used to transport a controlled substance. Except as otherwise provided in this division, operating a vehicle with a hidden compartment used to transport a controlled substance is a felony of the fourth degree. Except as otherwise provided in this division, if the offender previously has been convicted of or pleaded guilty to a violation of division (C) or (D) of this section, operating a vehicle with a hidden compartment used to transport a controlled substance is a felony of the third degree. If the hidden compartment contains a controlled substance at the time of the offense, operating a vehicle with a hidden compartment used to transport a controlled substance is a felony of the second degree.

(G) This section does not apply to any law enforcement officer acting in the performance of the law enforcement officer's duties.

(H)(1) This section does not apply to any licensed motor vehicle dealer or motor vehicle manufacturer that in the ordinary course of business repairs, purchases, receives in trade, leases, or sells a motor vehicle.

(2) This section does not impose a duty on a licensed motor vehicle dealer to know, discover, report, repair, or disclose the existence of a hidden compartment to any person.

(I) This section does not apply to a box, safe, container, or other item added to a vehicle for the purpose of securing valuables, electronics, or firearms provided that at the time of discovery the box, safe, container, or other item added to the vehicle does not contain a controlled substance or visible residue of a controlled substance.

Post by Loading »

It's a factory storage area. LOL Not really hidden.
Back hatch does not unlock with the doors, must use a key.
So it's more secure than in the glove box or under the seat.
And with a little work I'm sure a lock could be added to the lid.

Problem is I will loose my storage for jumper cables, tool box, oil, bulbs, hitch or 3
So I have yet to do it for that reason alone.
R.I.P The Late Great Sir Winston 1-5-01 to 8-10-13
CCIman

Post by CCIman »

Master lock makes a Python cablelock that I have theaded around my seat base. I I take out the mag, open the slide and slide the coated cable through the magwell and slide, and cinch it tight. Hard to get the gun out without large cable cutters, and in a spot where tools won't fit easiiy.
'CAN' does not equal "SHOULD'.
Greenleaf4902

Post by Greenleaf4902 »

CCIman wrote:Master lock makes a Python cablelock that I have theaded around my seat base. I I take out the mag, open the slide and slide the coated cable through the magwell and slide, and cinch it tight. Hard to get the gun out without large cable cutters, and in a spot where tools won't fit easiiy.
Is that legal in OHIO? Does it have to be contained within a dedicated locking box?
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

Greenleaf4902 wrote:
CCIman wrote:Master lock makes a Python cablelock that I have theaded around my seat base. I I take out the mag, open the slide and slide the coated cable through the magwell and slide, and cinch it tight. Hard to get the gun out without large cable cutters, and in a spot where tools won't fit easiiy.
Is that legal in OHIO? Does it have to be contained within a dedicated locking box?
If you choose to, you may leave the handgun in your vehicle however you wish, whether secured or otherwise.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Aesinsp »

I drive around in a 3/4 ton Suburban with a 500# safe to secure my weapons.. & an unbreakable huge chain welded to the vehicle's frame.
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."
Thomas Sowell, Knowledge And Decisions

Never forget and Never again, Molon labe
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Aesinsp wrote:I drive around in a 3/4 ton Suburban with a 500# safe to secure my weapons.. & an unbreakable huge chain welded to the vehicle's frame.
Do you have enough traction in the winter or do you have to put chains on?

Old memory just surfaced. One of the first front wheel drive vehicles I ever saw was in a very snowy winter in Idaho.
It had chains on the front tires.
I was seriously confused.
I believe it was a Toronado. It was that period of time ~1967/68.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

Aesinsp wrote:I drive around in a 3/4 ton Suburban with a 500# safe to secure my weapons.. & an unbreakable huge chain welded to the vehicle's frame.
This is worthless without pictures! :shock:
Abandon ye all HOPE!
rimfireOH
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rimfireOH »

Werz wrote:But "car hoppers" rarely carry tools. When they are arrested, the most incriminating things on their persons are usually multiple mobile telephones and pockets bulging with loose change.
In my neighborhood they carry a sock in their back pocket to act as a glove and not leave fingerprints.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

If I know in advance that I have to leave my gun in the car I always take my wife's car. I don't want my car's glove box to get damaged.....please don't tell her I said this....
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens