In car storage. ***updated with Pictures***

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

polizi212

In car storage. ***updated with Pictures***

Post by polizi212 »

Ok so what do you use to store you Firearm or other valuable in your car? I currently have a bulldog gun vault mounted in my Car and I was curious what others are doing to secure your weapon when you have to go into a CPZ!

This is mounted under the back seat of my SUV and I can easily reach behind me and remove and replace the box and lock it.

One other mod I did to my box is I added several layers of soft foam and cut out the shape of my Firearm and a Extra Magazine!

Once done my Ruger sits very comfortably in its box with a spare 15 rounds! and it no longer slides around!

BobK

Re: In car storage. ***updated with Pictures***

Post by BobK »

If you can reach back there and remove the box, so can any criminal. What's the point?
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

I have a small lock box bolted to the floor of my truck. It already had a fire extinguisher bolted there so I just removed that bracket and drilled holes in the box to match the existing holds in the truck.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

I have a nano vault attached to the seat frame with the supplied steel cable. It is barely big enough for my XDs daily carry piece and spare mag - I really don't have many options in my vehicle (97 Ford Taurus). Not enough space under the front seats for anything and no space under the rear seats at all. Only other option would be the trunk, which is not ideal...
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

JustaShooter wrote:I have a nano vault attached to the seat frame with the supplied steel cable.
I have the same setup. Mine will just barely fit a Charter Arms Bulldog and a Taurus PT145 together. Then I learned that cramming both of them in together put so much pressure on the latch that I almost couldn't get it open. When I finally managed to turn the latch hard enough, I was seconds away from popping it open with a large screwdriver.

These are not intended to be high-security vaults. They are intended to obstruct low-level "car hoppers" from scoring an easy gun theft.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Werz wrote:These are not intended to be high-security vaults. They are intended to obstruct low-level "car hoppers" from scoring an easy gun theft.
Roger that. I want to keep it from vanishing during a smash & grab or similar, I realize that with minimal tools & time it won't hold up. I'd like a more secure arrangement but for now, with my vehicle and funds it will do.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
polizi212

Post by polizi212 »

BobK wrote:If you can reach back there and remove the box, so can any criminal. What's the point?

Perhaps you are not familiar with the Bulldog Car Vault. This type of lock box uses a outer metal shell that the box then goes into and locks together! It also utilizes a security cable to further deter theft! Here are a few pictures and a link to you-tube so you can see what it is and how it works! In my humble and possibly uneducated opinion it is a far better option than a nano box using just a cable!

This is the outer Steel Shell!

Here we can see the box inserted into the outer steel shell!

I have this bolted to the floor of my SUV and it would take a thief more than a few minutes to find it and I figure a bit of time to remove it! I am using only as short term storage of my firearm.

Here is the youtube video link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d232-1PsWPM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I picked up my car vault from amazon for about $42.00 with shipping! A little higher than the nano boxes but you can see it has lots of room!
brian0918

Post by brian0918 »

Any reason not to use a glove box? Too easy to break into?
polizi212

Post by polizi212 »

brian0918 wrote:Any reason not to use a glove box? Too easy to break into?
Sure you can use a glove box but even if it locks you can easily gain access to it by pulling hard or a simple screw driver can break the lock. Most smash and grab thefts are fast they grab what they can see and they will look in center consoles and glove boxes looking for your GPS units, Radar Detectors,other electronics and change. They want to score things that they can sell. These types of thieves spend only a few moments in you car and don't want to have to really work hard to get anything out!

My goal when I decided to carry a firearm and knowing that I would have to secure it from time to time in my car was to make sure that my gun would be hard for them to try to take thus having them give up on the idea and just take my change! My Gun box is locked and bolted to the floor and I have the security cable attached as well, Also I have taken the extra step to hid my gun box under the seat and that makes it hard to see in its location unless you know its there or you look really hard!
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

brian0918 wrote:Any reason not to use a glove box? Too easy to break into?
Let me share some of the finer points of "car hopping":

The primary rules are: quick, easy and quiet. The "smash-and-grab" is done only when a valuable item - such as a woman's purse - is visible from the outside. Otherwise, the thief will simply try door handles. If the car is locked, the thief will go on to the next car. Once the thief finds an open door, the thief will quickly drag out the contents of the glove compartment and the center console. The thief is not going to take the time to look through the whole passenger compartment for valuable items unless the vehicle is in a fairly remote area. The thief knows that the glove compartment is where people keep spare change, cell phones, GPS units, and occasionally, wallets. It the thief finds a gun there, he/she will probably take it. I've had that happen to me, and fortunately, it was recovered within 48 hours. Nevertheless, the average "car hopper" is not going to go looking around the whole passenger compartment while executing a quick, low-risk, petty theft.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
brian0918

Post by brian0918 »

And if the glove box is locked? Is there any research on how easy they are to break into?

If it isn't difficult to break into, will the average smash-n-grab thief take the time to break into a glove box?

They do seem pretty flimsy so I wouldn't be surprised if a little leverage would open them.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

brian0918 wrote:And if the glove box is locked? Is there any research on how easy they are to break into?

If it isn't difficult to break into, will the average smash-n-grab thief take the time to break into a glove box?
I have yet to see one where they pried open the glove compartment. Nevertheless, I would rather they pry on my $25 Nano Vault than do hundreds of dollars worth of damage to my dashboard.
-- BobK
brian0918

Post by brian0918 »

Very true. I have a Nano Vault as well, but the cable that comes with it seems like someone could just snip it with bolt cutters.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

brian0918 wrote:Very true. I have a Nano Vault as well, but the cable that comes with it seems like someone could just snip it with bolt cutters.
True. But "car hoppers" rarely carry tools. When they are arrested, the most incriminating things on their persons are usually multiple mobile telephones and pockets bulging with loose change.
-- BobK
ROME

Post by ROME »

Werz wrote:Nevertheless, I would rather they pry on my $25 Nano Vault than do hundreds of dollars worth of damage to my dashboard.
In that case make sure your glovebox is unlocked if it locks. If it's locked they might think there is something in there worth stealing. I have a friend in Baltimore who has twice had her car broken into to steal her GPS, now she doesn't even bother to lock her car and just takes anything of value with her. Easier then continually replacing broken windows.