1911 holster (Open carry) options

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

TJW815

Re: 1911 holster options

Post by TJW815 »

Thanks I may take a look at one.
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

I know it's a gamble, but a cheap shoulder holster will not fit well, will not move well with you, and I have seen one actually fall apart, under stress. I don't spend the extra money on the side straps, which loop around one's belt on each side, as I find them to be too confining.
Quack

Post by Quack »

I don't OC, but my OWB holsters are all Blade-Tech.
my IWB holster for a 5" 1911 is a MS VMII

TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

Tweed Ring wrote:I know it's a gamble, but a cheap shoulder holster will not fit well, will not move well with you, and I have seen one actually fall apart, under stress. I don't spend the extra money on the side straps, which loop around one's belt on each side, as I find them to be too confining.
I'm a firm believer in you usually get what you pay for. This week I'm going to try out a galco rig but it will be a winter time setup if I like it.
Poneill272

Post by Poneill272 »

Check this guy out, http://barberleatherworks.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I just had an iwb and owb made by him, and a new belt. He lives here in Newark and is great to deal with. I'll never buy another holster anywhere else after the experience I've had with this guy. His turnaround time is faster than what the website portrays. I had both holsters and a belt made in 7 days and the quality is top notch.
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

TJW815 wrote:
Tweed Ring wrote:I know it's a gamble, but a cheap shoulder holster will not fit well, will not move well with you, and I have seen one actually fall apart, under stress. I don't spend the extra money on the side straps, which loop around one's belt on each side, as I find them to be too confining.
I'm a firm believer in you usually get what you pay for. This week I'm going to try out a galco rig but it will be a winter time setup if I like it.

Danny Alexander and I, among others got into a bit of a scrape. He was wearing a cheap shoulder holster. The concussion blew it apart. Had he not had a leash on his M9, attached to his belt, some foreigner would likely have it jammed in his belt.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

true_pair wrote:question for the guys or gals with shoulder rigs. Do you use it in the summer? do you use buttoned shirt over T shirt to conceal it?
Most of the time, the shoulder rig is a cool or cold weather setup for me. However, if I wear a suit or sport jacket, I will use it during the summer as well. I have the Miami Classic II and I do use the tie downs on both sides as I like having the system tight instead of being able to move around.

If not wearing a suit or sport jacket during warm weather, I use an OWB holster with an untucked shirt.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
Brian D.

Re: 1911 holster (Open carry) options

Post by Brian D. »

Dunno if Alessi is still turning out holsters, but their shoulder rigs are pretty dang nice too, in all respects. They retained the gun horizontally, using a 'pull thru' snap. (It releases only in the direction the gun's rear is being pulled from, hope that makes sense.) Secure but yet very fast to deploy.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

I don't open carry, but if I did, I'd wear the shoulder holster year around. I have found the SH to be a very convenient way to carry an M9.
Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

I don't usually open carry my 1911, but I've got an old WWII tanker holster I thought would be awesome for an open carry event. Only problem is that one of the brass snaps is corroded and busted which I understand is common for one this old. El Paso Saddlery makes new ones that look very nice though.

http://www.epsaddlery.com/pc-154-25-194 ... rrels.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;