AK-47 Issue

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Fyresq

Re: AK-47 Issue

Post by Fyresq »

The only other polymer mags I've heard anything good about are the US Palm AK30. They get rave reviews, but at $30 each you can get 3 steel surplus mags.
NRA Certified Instructor - Basic Pistol

http://www.ohiovalleyfirearmstraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

Fyresq wrote:The only other polymer mags I've heard anything good about are the US Palm AK30. They get rave reviews,

From whom?

Most of the one's I've read, and my own experience with them, puts them in the "nice but way overpriced". Certainly nothing about them that's better than the Bulgy's (unless you need 3 US parts).
Required reading for newbies: DO NOT CALL AHEAD. EVER.

"If man asks for many laws it is only because he is sure that his neighbor needs them; privately he is an unphilosophical anarchist, and thinks laws in his own case superfluous."- Will Durant

Proud member of GeorgiaCarry.org, and The Second Amendment Foundation
Fyresq

Post by Fyresq »

Lysander wrote: From whom?
From most of the people I've talked to that have used them.
"nice but way overpriced".
I think that's what I said.
NRA Certified Instructor - Basic Pistol

http://www.ohiovalleyfirearmstraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rhino
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Rhino »

My mags are all steel surplus, for all the reasons mentioned here. I commonly pick up a couple of extras at each gun show, so I have a buch of 'em. My wife keeps asking me, "Don't you have enough of those?"

"Nope. No such thing as enough. Same as guns. Same as ammo."
No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message. However, a rather large number of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.

The Constitution shall never be construed … to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.
-- Samuel Adams

Condensed Guide to Ohio Concealed Carry Laws
im_n2_vws

Post by im_n2_vws »

I have 20+ mags for now. I keep buying more, but I also have 2 AK's.
NRA life member
OFCC member no. 7623
OGCA member
GSSF member
WaltherMan

Post by WaltherMan »

Hmmm, interesting conversation to read. I've run Tapco mags in my Draco for the past couple years and haven't had any trouble. Same experience with a friend of mine's Polish underfolder; no trouble. Luck of the draw maybe?

Out of curiosity I wonder what models of AKs people are having trouble with these mags in. I read somewhere that people sometimes have trouble with the Tapco mags in the WASR models due to the magazine well size being fudged up during assembly at Century. :?
CCIman

Post by CCIman »

I've used both clear and black no-waffle foreign polymer mags (I think they were from Aim), as well as steel Korean surp mags, few misc steel E European surp mags.

All in converted Arsenal SGL21 with no issues, except the mag release being too tight-- I've had to file the metal on the mag lever, and some catch lip on the steel mags. The mag the gun came with was the tightest
'CAN' does not equal "SHOULD'.
FormerNavy

Post by FormerNavy »

I installed a Wolff extra power recoil spring in my AK, and that seems to have solved my issue stripping off the first round in a fully loaded Tapco magazine. I took a couple different mags to the range, and they all functioned flawlessly now.
drewannrez

Post by drewannrez »

I use both milsurp and magpul both have been reliable...

I think the key is to make sure the mags are in good operating condition, also, so many combloc countries made mags that very few countries made them to where they were consistently manufactured to a standard which means there are slight variations in each mag...