How often do you clean your guns?

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

How often do you clean your gun(s)?

Only after shooting it. Clean is clean.
43%
Every month, even if I didn't shoot it.
15%
Every six months, even if I didn't shoot it.
8%
Annually, even if I didn't shoot it.
2%
Whenever I think of it, or get bored.
29%
Never. If it can't run with 10 years of dirt, it's not reliable enough.
3%

Total votes: 87

Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: How often do you clean your guns?

Post by Sevens »

I'd do it, but I'd stick to handguns, and we aren't local to each other... so the conversation is academic. :|

I wanted to mention that it was a couple years back that I transitioned from gun oil to a grease lube. On semi-auto pistol rails and barrel/bushing contact points, I use Shooter's Choice red lube, comes in a syringe and is all to expensive, but I like it. I like it because it stays where I put it and it doesn't fling off and even after a heavy round count, when I take the pistol apart, I can see that it's still in the mix and doing what I ask of it. My guns seem to run well on it.

I'm not the type to run things really wet, I know some are and some have great reasons to and some folks get (IMO) far too concerned about what other people do. I still do use Rem oil in my Ruger Mark II's action, and I use it in semi-auto rimfire rifles. I will also use a tiny dot of it on pivot points and such, but you won't find any of my handguns flinging or dripping oils or lubricants.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

I voted "When I think about it" but that's really not the case.

Range only guns get cleaned when they get grungy, start having malfs, or Red Dawn comes on the TV late night movie shows :)

Carry gun gets blown out with compressed air every couple weeks, cleaned once a month.

The safe toys (antiques) get a heavy oiling and a coat of Johnson's paste wax and left alone.

I'm not really worried about a stainless-steel gun that has some soot on the cylinder. Some people are really anal about that sort of thing.

I'm used to running most of my guns wet; they run smoother, the fouling cleans easier, and they rust less- I have humidity issues in my home. Sigs prefer to run wet anyway.

I switched to using primarily Mobil One 0w20 synthetic motor oil for general lubing and some hi-temp, hi-pressure grease for slides and moving parts. I like silicone grease in most cases but I have some special grease that comes in syringes I get from work that so far has been excellent for guns and even as a sprue lube for my bullet molds.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
TTMR

Post by TTMR »

When ever I get bored i pick a gun or two, detail strip it and clean it up.

They also get cleaned after every range session as soon as i get home.
Mrs. Daspirate

Post by Mrs. Daspirate »

We clean most of ours every time we shoot them. There's only about 2 that get shot rarely enough for that to be a concern, and one of those is a mosin nagant. I'm not sure it's ever been cleaned. :)
Last edited by Mrs. Daspirate on Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Cultivators of the earth are the most valuable citizens. They are the most vigorous, the most independant, the most virtuous, and they are tied to their country and wedded to it's liberty and interests by the most lasting bands."
-Thomas Jefferson
GWC

Post by GWC »

You mean we are supposed to clean guns?
"The police are not here to create disorder. They are here to preserve disorder".
Mayor Richard Daley, 1968

I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.
Shaolin_dragon

Post by Shaolin_dragon »

Mrs. Daspirate wrote:We clean most of ours every time we shoot them. There's only about 2 that get shot rarely enough for that to be a concern, and one of those is a mosin nagant. I'm not sure it's ever been cleaned. :)
I'm not sure you're meant to clean a mosin...doesnt not cleaning add to the fireball effect when you send a round down range and obliterate everything within a 10' radius? :lol: :lol:
I carry, because I care!
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Sevens wrote:I wanted to mention that it was a couple years back that I transitioned from gun oil to a grease lube. On semi-auto pistol rails and barrel/bushing contact points, I use Shooter's Choice red lube, comes in a syringe and is all to expensive, but I like it. I like it because it stays where I put it and it doesn't fling off and even after a heavy round count, when I take the pistol apart, I can see that it's still in the mix and doing what I ask of it. My guns seem to run well on it.
Thanks for the tip!
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
Jake
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Jake »

Once upon a time there was a thread where someone was accused of firing their gun in a park.
The accused was an Open Carrier who apparently scared a couple bird watchers.

After being cuffed and detained he was eventually released.
One thing he had going for him was that he had a clean gun on his hip.
He was cleared of firing the supposed shot.

Food for thought.
:wink:
NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Hope for the Best. Plan for the Worst.

http://www.salemhuntingclub.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-loca ... -reps.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

It wasn't THAT specific event, but the idea of such an event that is one of the things I hold near & dear when carrying my clean gun. Lots of lint, maybe, but no powder fouling. Anyone who's ever been around firearms would be able to tell that mine hasn't been shot.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
parbreaker

Post by parbreaker »

Sevens wrote:It wasn't THAT specific event, but the idea of such an event that is one of the things I hold near & dear when carrying my clean gun. Lots of lint, maybe, but no powder fouling. Anyone who's ever been around firearms would be able to tell that mine hasn't been shot.
That's definitely a good reason to clean your carry guns often.

Personally, I clean my guns every time I shoot them. If a gun goes about 6 months without being shot, then I give it a quick cleaning and re-lubrication.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

With a semiauto pistol I get ready to do some cleaning when the slide starts making a gerrrrrrr-schluuuuunk sound going back and forth rather than the normal shlunk-shlunk noise. :mrgreen:
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

After every range visit.....

I'm hoping someday to have a gun FS that Chris wants to buy. I'll be going to range with some dirty ammo just before he picks it up from me... :)
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
xmattkx

Post by xmattkx »

My pocket carry gun looks a lot dirtier all the time than my OWB Gun... Just lint and the like, but it keeps me cleaning it relatively often. Wouldn't want a misfire when you really need
Micro Desert Eagle - As reliable and accurate as it is ugly