Buying a firearm for someone else.

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

mcannell

Buying a firearm for someone else.

Post by mcannell »

Hi Everyone,

I have a question about purchasing a handgun and then gifting it to a family member. This family member is over the age of 21. Since there isnt any weapon registration laws in Ohio I figured it's not a big deal to gift a pistol to someone. On the other hand I could be completely wrong. So if anyone has any info on this topic please let me know. Thanks!
tomfolery

Re: Buying a firearm for someone else.

Post by tomfolery »

So YOU are buying a firearm with the INTENTION of giving it to SOMEONE ELSE...correct?
"One is none, two is one, and three is just a good time"
3 Guy Supply, 01 FFL, NRA Certified firearms instructors. Ask me about CCW classes.
Firearm refinishing services available.
scriz

Post by scriz »

I would honestly just give them the money for said firearm.

I believe this could still be considered a straw purchase. Although, I am not a lawyer.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

As long as no money exchanges hands, gifting is 100% legal as long as said person can legally own one.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

JediSkipdogg wrote:As long as no money exchanges hands, gifting is 100% legal as long as said person can legally own one.
Jedi's got your answer. The question here is whether you're a "proxy" purchaser for another person. In other words, whether you're buying it because the person who actually will take possession either cannot pass the check or doesn't want his name associated with it.

In your case, there's nothing wrong with you buying it in this circumstance and, so long as the intended recipient is lawfully allowed to possess it, there's nothing wrong with gifting it to him.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
BobK

Post by BobK »

A legitimate gift is perfectly legal.

When you complete the 4373, realize that you are purchasing the firearm for yourself first, and accepting possession of it. Only after the transaction will you turn around and give a gift. Thus make sure you answer question 11.a as "Yes" (You are the actual buyer).
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
2004exrider

Post by 2004exrider »

Although both purchaser and reciever of firearm are legal to own it, couldn't this still technically be considered a straw purchase?

Jimmy
Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace
No Guns, No Safety, No Peace
charben
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by charben »

2004exrider wrote:Although both purchaser and reciever of firearm are legal to own it, couldn't this still technically be considered a straw purchase?

Jimmy
Not if the gift-receiver does not exchange money (or anything else of value for that matter) for the gun. The bottom line is that if the gift-receiver is exchanging anything of value for the gun, then the gun really isn't a gift. That would make the exchange a straw purchase.
Chris

Crushing the First Amendment, one post at a time!

"If you walk out of your house carrying your gun (openly or otherwise) and you DO NOT fully understand the law, then you are NOT completely armed..."
Tourist
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Tourist »

2004exrider,

Normally, it would only be considered a straw purchase if the person receiving the gift gave the person buying the gun the money to buy it because the receiving person is not eligible to buy it.

I suppose that the buyer could use his own money and get some other compensation, and if the receiver is not eligible to buy the gun, it would still be a straw purchase.

Of course charben just said it more concisely.
2004exrider

Post by 2004exrider »

charben wrote:
2004exrider wrote:Although both purchaser and reciever of firearm are legal to own it, couldn't this still technically be considered a straw purchase?

Jimmy
Not if the gift-receiver does not exchange money (or anything else of value for that matter) for the gun. The bottom line is that if the gift-receiver is exchanging anything of value for the gun, then the gun really isn't a gift. That would make the exchange a straw purchase.
Tourist wrote:2004exrider,

Normally, it would only be considered a straw purchase if the person receiving the gift gave the person buying the gun the money to buy it because the receiving person is not eligible to buy it.

I suppose that the buyer could use his own money and get some other compensation, and if the receiver is not eligible to buy the gun, it would still be a straw purchase.

Cool, thanks for clearing that up.

Jimmy
Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace
No Guns, No Safety, No Peace
FormerNavy

Post by FormerNavy »

Tourist wrote:2004exrider,

I don't believe this is the case. I don't think that the final recipient of the gun has to be ineligible to buy it himself in order for it to be a straw purchase. For example, you and I can both buy guns and are legally able to own them - if I give you the money to buy it for me, then it's a straw purchase even if I am legally able to otherwise purchase and own it myself.
Tourist
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Tourist »

FormerNavy,

It seems that in its wisdom the BTAFE has redefined the term "straw purchase". It used to mean buying something for someone who could not buy it him/her self.

You are right the term, as it is used for firearm purchase, does not make the exclusion for someone who could actually buy it for themselves but asks someone else to buy it. Sorry for the confusion. :oops:
charben
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by charben »

FormerNavy wrote: I don't think that the final recipient of the gun has to be ineligible to buy it himself in order for it to be a straw purchase.
Yep, I missed that part of Tourist's comment. It's not a matter of being eligible or not. It's the fact that someone is buying it in the place of another. In other words, if I gave Jake $400 to buy a Glock at his local gun shop, then I later met up with Jake to pay him for the gun, THAT is a straw purchase even though I would have been eligible to purchase the gun on my own.

Now, if Jake was going to buy the gun for me and give it to me as a gift for being a great friend, that's a different story! Hint hint!
Chris

Crushing the First Amendment, one post at a time!

"If you walk out of your house carrying your gun (openly or otherwise) and you DO NOT fully understand the law, then you are NOT completely armed..."