How about some pics

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

awalls

Re: My current carry weapon

Post by awalls »

I was thinking more in terms of cigarettes and aftershave. :D
I know but comming home to a free state is so much more important. Actually I can get anything I need over hear. But soldiers who don't have the freedom of movement that I have could use that sort of thing check out http://www.americasupportsyou.mil
appliance brad

Post by appliance brad »

Made in 1906, this is the action of my very first firearm. I received it for Christmas when I was 10.

My everyday carry rig, Sig Pro 2340 in a Biachi Black Widow.
Alcohol, tobacco, firearms and explosives should be a 24/7 convenience store, not a government agency.

www.firearmsalliance.org
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

Springfield Armory 'milspec' 1911A1 chambered in .400 Cor Bon.

Pingun.

Detail of front sight work done by SA custom shop.

I just clocked the rounds in the picture. They are 165gr Speer JHP's with 7gr. unique. Interestingly, they averaged 20fps slower than my cast bullet loads.

The load I worked up in cast was 175gr with 7gr unique and I averaged 1150fps.

Possible causes?

The load was too light for the 22# slide spring. I had several missfeeds due to the gun not cycling. This load obviously needs more jazz.

I think I'll consider a faster powder. I like unique with my cast bullets because I can load hot if I want to, but leading is kept to a minimum. With the jhp's that won't be an issue.

Recoil was dowright pleasant....I could've busted some pins with that load. This is my 'experimental self defense load' however, I'm trying to duplicate some of Cor Bon's results.

Any idea why a 165gr JHP goes slower than a 175gr cast with the same amount and kind of powder???

I'll guess....my cast bullets are well lubricated. The JHP's aren't lubricated. Am I getting higher chamber pressures and lower velocities? The cases are showing no sign of excessive pressure.
Rob-Black99RT

Re: Here's my primary...

Post by Rob-Black99RT »

Petrofergov wrote: Cool pic dude!!! Now...how 'bout some image editing so we can see it in its full glory???
Here you go...

I had to take a new pic because the one I posted previously was the full-size pic. I was just highlighting the rail on the original pic.

For giggles, here's a couple more pics of AR's (can't ever get enough evil black rifles). Mine's a bushmaster HBAR carbine with some toys, the one my dad is holding is a Stag M4 I built him for his birthday this past month. it's pretty much plain-jane except for a trigger job. I also jumped on the T-168 bandwagon and put one of those on it.

- Rob
G30
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

Rob-Black99RT wrote:
Petrofergov wrote: Cool pic dude!!! Now...how 'bout some image editing so we can see it in its full glory???
Here you go...

How do you like the stag receivers???

I don't care for the logo :x but I thought the quality was top notch. I compared the stag to a colt that I've had for years and I couldn't find a bit of difference. Did you get your receiver from AIM??? They still have them for a hundred bucks each. I got two with consequetive SN's.

I used a DPMS lower parts kit to build mine and it was pathetically easy. The only trouble I had was the darn trigger guard roll pin. The hold is only drilled through on one side and partially drilled on the other side. Great looking idea, but how the heck do you see to line up the pin??? I had to go by feel...what a drag.

Do you assemble your own uppers too? That's my next project. I actually have one in the shop getting a 6.8mm Remington SPC barrel and bolt installed. I am definately, however, gonna get the tools together and tackle building an upper. Trouble with building one is that it is mostly just to get a configuration you can't find. It's hard to buy all the parts without spending as much as you would for one that's already assembled.

It's really even difficult to justify that. Heck, if you tell DPMS what you want they'll build it for you for little more than you would spend doing it yourself.
Rob-Black99RT

Post by Rob-Black99RT »

Petrofergov wrote: How do you like the stag receivers???
Had good luck with them so far. Took the first one and put it on a 20" gov't slab-side upper. Had it for a few months and then sold it. Built the second one for my dad, and I still have one Stag receiver sitting around waiting to find a home. All 3 were consecutive numbers 003xx, and they are a bit tight on the rear cut-out of the receiver. Apparently the early ones were.
I don't care for the logo :x but I thought the quality was top notch. I compared the stag to a colt that I've had for years and I couldn't find a bit of difference. Did you get your receiver from AIM??? They still have them for a hundred bucks each. I got two with consequetive SN's.
I got all 3 of them from my wife's cousin. He owed me a few bucks for a firearm I sold him (he was a gun dealer), and he asked if I'd like a few Stag lowers. I took him up on the offer. It's been costing me money ever since. :lol:
I used a DPMS lower parts kit to build mine and it was pathetically easy. The only trouble I had was the darn trigger guard roll pin. The hold is only drilled through on one side and partially drilled on the other side. Great looking idea, but how the heck do you see to line up the pin??? I had to go by feel...what a drag.
I went with a M1S parts kit for the first build, and it was pretty darn rough. The second build for my Dad I used a Stag LPK and I had it together in about 20 minutes. The rollpins go in SO easy.... I'll probably never use anything else besides Stag LPK's again unless somebody proves something else is better (doubtful). For the hole you're talking about, are you sure you're not talking about where that spring-loaded pin goes? The rear one is for the roll pin, but the front one is for the spring-loaded pin. That one you just have to push in and then snap it in place.
Do you assemble your own uppers too? That's my next project. I actually have one in the shop getting a 6.8mm Remington SPC barrel and bolt installed. I am definately, however, gonna get the tools together and tackle building an upper. Trouble with building one is that it is mostly just to get a configuration you can't find. It's hard to buy all the parts without spending as much as you would for one that's already assembled.
The upper for my dad I purchased from Northwest Tactical, and it came with an ARMS40A2 rear sight on it. Everything else I assembled, though. The Bushmaster I have I put a YHM lightweight FF tube on, changed the stock (came with A2), went with a 4-position and then drilled another hole to give me 5, and have done a home-grown trigger job that gives me about a 5 lb pull. It's not match quality, but it works for blowing up tannerite at 100 yards or punching paper. Next on the list of to-do's is a coat of gray Norell's Moly Resin and then adding some black and a little bit of white for a white/black/gray camo job. The Bushmaster has some dings/scratches in the finish, so I figured it couldn't hurt...
It's really even difficult to justify that. Heck, if you tell DPMS what you want they'll build it for you for little more than you would spend doing it yourself.
True, but there's just something about building one yourself (or at least partially building it), and then ripping off that first full mag without a problem.
- Rob
G30
Geezah

Post by Geezah »

As we're talking black rifles, especially ARs, I'll chime in,

My first was a Bushy M4gery, purchased from AIM during the AWB, I have since had a bit of smithing done so it is now completely evil :twisted:

Then came the Bushy Dissapator, also from AIM 8) this was directly after the ban expired.

Then,there's the STAG build, again from AIM. I used the parts kit they offer and purchased the stock from Eagle Firearms, I also purchased the upper from them. The only change I made was to purchase an ARMs #40L-SP and sell the #40 and add another EOtech.
SmegHead

Post by SmegHead »

Backup deer gun.

Smoke me a kipper. I'll be back for breakfast!
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Sig Pro 2340 in her Galco Fletch High Ride

Life is precious, Got Sig?
Sig P250 Compact .40s&w
P229DAKowner

Post by P229DAKowner »

Last edited by P229DAKowner on Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Daniel »

Just a quick reminder to everyone that the forum rules specify that posted images may be no larger than 640x480 pixles. There are a lot of pictures in this thread that violate that rule.
Daniel White
NRA Training Counselor
Northcoast Firearms Training

We must carry arms because we value our lives and those of our loved ones, because we will not be dealt with by force or threat of force, and do not live at the pleasure and discretion of the lawless. - Jeff Snyder
garyv311

Post by garyv311 »

Calvery Arms lower, Bushmaster upper.
~ The Golgothan
garyv311

Post by garyv311 »

Mark VII .44mag
~ The Golgothan
appliance brad

Post by appliance brad »

Cable wrote:Just a quick reminder to everyone that the forum rules specify that posted images may be no larger than 640x480 pixles. There are a lot of pictures in this thread that violate that rule.
Looks like I'm using the "post ban" capacity mags.

370X247 and 180X120 here. :D
Alcohol, tobacco, firearms and explosives should be a 24/7 convenience store, not a government agency.

www.firearmsalliance.org
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

My Kimber Compact CDP:

Last edited by TunnelRat on Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.