Gun Review: Hi Point 4595

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

2004exrider

Gun Review: Hi Point 4595

Post by 2004exrider »

So i've been looking around at getting a carbine that shoots a pistol caliber. I had a couple different brands in mind, but ended up getting the Hi Point. The price was right and they finally changed the design, no more "Planet of the Apes" theme. :lol: The gun is pretty light and comes equipped with three different rails. I ended up throwing on a Tasco Red Dot and a vertical fore grip. Once i got it sighted in (50 yards) the thing is a tack driver! Holds a nice pattern even with the cheap ammo (Tula & Blazer) I was running through it. It is very easy to control while shooting whether your sitting or standing up. There are a couple things i would change if I were head of the company though. It only comes with a 9 round single stack magazine. They should either make it equipped with a double stack "hi cap" or make it accept Glock mags like the Keltec Sub 2000. I have heard that you can modify after market 1911 mags, but they arent as reliable as the OEM. The trigger pull could be a little lighter, but its manageable once you get used to it. They also have the bolt handle and sling mounts on the wrong side. If you're a lefty it might work good, but it just seems akward.

I have heard a lot of bad things about Hi Point over the years, but I'm glad I took the time to do my own research and hear from people who actually own them. I must admit I'm impressed with this little rifle so far. While it is inexpensive, it is doing everything i would ask of it, plus they come with a no questions asked warranty. Whether you're the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 10th owner they will repair/replace it for only the cost of shipping. So I gotta give credit where credit is due, the guys at High Point have done a good job and have one more happy customer.

Jimmy
Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace
No Guns, No Safety, No Peace
tomfolery

Re: Gun Review: Hi Point 4595

Post by tomfolery »

Good stuff!
"One is none, two is one, and three is just a good time"
3 Guy Supply, 01 FFL, NRA Certified firearms instructors. Ask me about CCW classes.
Firearm refinishing services available.
soontobedeity
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by soontobedeity »

My neighbor has one and it's a lot of fun to shoot. I'm considering picking up one myself.
HILLTOP

Post by HILLTOP »

I want one! After being disappointed with the Kel-tec, I hope this one is better! I have nothing against Hi-Point, has anyone had issues with reliability/malfunctions with any of their firearms?
Steve
HILLTOPFIREARMS.COM
dan dan the XD40 man

Post by dan dan the XD40 man »

I've had good luck with their rifles. Never shot one of their handguns though.
Poop!
yogidave

Post by yogidave »

Hipoint gets a bad rep for being ugly chucks of metal, but I have owned a pistol and a carbine and NEVER had a FTF of a FTE. I picked one up used and took it to the range and it shot flawlessly and when I took it home to clean it was caked with junk and more junk. It literally looked as if it was packed in cosmo and had 5000 rounds of blanks through it but cycled just fine. I called the factory to but a rail for it and they send one free of charge, so yes their pistols are heavy and not the best for carry but between the reliability and customer service they are great. IMHO
hkuspclem40

Post by hkuspclem40 »

I have the old school .40 and love it. The .45 looks cool. 8)
NRA Life Member
2004exrider

Post by 2004exrider »

Just watched a video on YouTube, guy took a 15 round 1911 mag and made it fit in a matter of seconds. All he had to do was flare out the mounting hole on the magazine. I may have to give this a "shot". Cheaper Than Dirt has them for $30 if anyone is interested. I hear the promag drum is the only one that doesn't like to fully cycle.

Jimmy
3GunTheory

Post by 3GunTheory »

Good to hear the Hi Point 4595 is a good value.

I am weighing buying the Hi Point 4595, a Rossi Ranch Hand .357 Magnum "Pistol" or a Century Arms Golani .223 next year.

The only negative I see is the lack of ammo capacity in the mags.
"God made man and woman; Colonel Colt made them equal'." (Ann Coulter)
Praise The Lord but Polly pass the Ammo.(Unknown)
True Happiness is a warm 12 Gauge,.45 ACP,.357 Mag,.410, or .38 Special and an Ice Cold Sun Drop.(Luvs.357)
GOD is Great and Guns are Good.(Lynard Skynard)
The 1st One through the door gets the copper coated candy.(Andy The Gunshop owner "Dawn Of The Dead)
2004exrider

Post by 2004exrider »

3GunTheory wrote:Good to hear the Hi Point 4595 is a good value.

I am weighing buying the Hi Point 4595, a Rossi Ranch Hand .357 Magnum "Pistol" or a Century Arms Golani .223 next year.

The only negative I see is the lack of ammo capacity in the mags.
I completely agree about ammo capacity, major bummer. I still gotta try out an aftermarket 1911 mag, when i finally get one I'll be sure to update the thread.

Jimmy