Thougts on 9x18 Makarov

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Thougts on 9x18 Makarov

Post by Petrovich »

I am a big fan of European handguns. I have a special place in my heart for old ones too. From the Makarovs, to CZ's to Walthers, Sigs, Nagants, Radom.....man they all get me hot and bothered.

Not all are suitable for CC, and many are downright obselete, but I love them dearly.

One cartridge I expect to see making a big impression is the 9x18 Makarov (muh-CARE-of) cartridge. I clocked some silver bear, russian factory ammo at 995fps. That was with 115gr. JHP. For comparison sake, Nato 9x19 with 115gr ball travels in the 1200-1300fps range. I'd say that's a favorable comparison.

Considering the fact you can still buy a bulgarian mak for about 150 bucks I encourage anyone on a budget to grab one for CC. It's a good, solid little piece of good quality and reliability.

Better yet, the P-64 'Polish Makarov' that was produced at the Radom armory is incredibly comfortable to carry and it fires the same round. The P-64 sports a loaded chamber indicator, an external safety that disengages the trigger/sear and engages a hammer block. Tolerances on that little gun are VERY tight. It does kick though....in fact it is ouchy to shoot. DA trigger pull is something like 30lbs.....effectively making it a SAO....which I don't mind at all since the hammer is easy to thumb.
Ukraine Train

Post by Ukraine Train »

I carried my Bulgarian Mak in a Falco leather IWB for a while before getting my Arcus. It's a great gun - reliable and accurate. I carried Barnaul 95gr JHPs but in retrospect I think I should have stuck to FMJ due to marginal penetration with JHP. I've never shot a P64 but like you said I've heard recoil is kind of painful due to the lighter aluminum frame as opposed to the Mak's steel.
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

Ukraine Train wrote:I carried my Bulgarian Mak in a Falco leather IWB for a while before getting my Arcus. It's a great gun - reliable and accurate. I carried Barnaul 95gr JHPs but in retrospect I think I should have stuck to FMJ due to marginal penetration with JHP. I've never shot a P64 but like you said I've heard recoil is kind of painful due to the lighter aluminum frame as opposed to the Mak's steel.
The frame is steel, but the gun is not a locking breech...strictly blowback.

I bought some 95gr. JHP hornady and that took some of the bite out of shooting it. The 115gr slugs were just too much.

I haven't read any data on penetration concerning the 9x18, but my guess is it's comparable to parabellum....certainly far better than .380.
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Another Fan

Post by Cruiser »

I carry a Bulgarian Mak in a Falco leather IWB also. Reliable and built like a tank.
I recently picked up a 'New" Polish P64. Reliable but not something to use for target practice!
These Eastern Block "Commie" handguns are nothing to take lightly. If you like steel check out the surplus market.
http://www.makarov.com/guns/index.htm
You can't buy here without an FFL but you can look.
Brian_Horton

Post by Brian_Horton »

I love Maks. I really enjoy shooting my Bulgie Mak. I've heard from many people that they think the Makarov is probably the most reliable semi auto pistol in the world.

I would trust my Mak as a carry gun. I just prefer a bigger round like the 10mm. Maks make great starter guns as long as the owner doesn't mind buying from places like AIM or Natchez and not being able to walk into a Walmart to buy ammo. Maks also make good car guns since they are so cheap. While I would hate to have any gun stolen and in the hands of a criminal, I would really hate it to be an expensive one.
When the goin' gets tough, the tough go cyclic.

Happiness is a crew served weapon.
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

P-64

Post by Morne »

I carry a P-64 for my daily wear. It's a sweet, short, slim, stubby little gun. The chrome lined barrel is great. Some people don;t like the bottom magazine release, but I prefer it. I used to have a Hungarian Makarov with the release just ahead of the thumb rest, I must have accidentally released that magazine a dozen times at the range! Hence I switched to the Polish Makarov, and have been much happier.

A little nylon holster with a clip attachs nicely to the seat belt for the plain-view law-thing, but while walking I just slip the gun in my pocket and the spare mag in another pocket. With as slim as it is (the real advantage it has over bulkier guns of any price) you can't tell what is in that pocket, it could just as easily be my wallet or a cell phone.
And yes, it kicks like a mule. But hey, that doesn't start to hurt until after 20 rounds or so. If I am ever in a real-world situation where I need to fire 20 rounds of 9x18mm, consult the following:

1) I have a problem no handgun will solve (large/angry wild animal, full-blown riot, small-scale war, large-size gang action, etc...)
2) I am out of ammo after 13 rounds anyway (1 in the hole, 6 in each of two mags)
3) After expending the first mag I had better be firing while moving to better cover
4) I must have failed at that whole "duty to retreat" thing
5) I'd hope someone will have heard world war 7 breaking out and called for some law enforcement types (or me on my cell phone while firing, that'll get the dispatchers attention)
6) I must not be shooting very accurately, or am so hopelessly outnumbered that statement # 1 applies (if the police show up and find 14 bodies, mine and 13 bad-guys, they'll know something surreal just happened)

Despite the kick, you can still go to the range and economically burn through 50 rounds every other weekend and be quite proficient with it. Any gun show will have 9x18 ammo cheap enough. I load alternating FMJ and hollow-points, just in case.
As to those who want a bigger caliber, I totally understand. But remember, the 9x18 you carry EVERY DAY (be honest with yourself here) beats the .45 you can only carry on cold days under bulky sweaters (which I have done also). Besides, shot placement is like 900 times more important than caliber. Carry the biggest caliber gun you are comfortable firing and can conceal readily in any clothing condition.

I love my P-64!
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Re: P-64

Post by Petrovich »

Morne wrote: I love my P-64!
I love mine too. When I am too lazy to carry anything else, I'll never leave the house without my P-64.

I'm gonna field strip mine and post pics...give me a few minutes. :D
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

P64

Post by Cruiser »

Nice, So where did you get the pocket holster?
williampelish
*** Banned ***

9x18 Makarov

Post by williampelish »

My Makarov was made in Hungary. Funny because I am Hungarian. I find it easy to shoot. However, my sight just never seems to be right and it has been adjusted over and over. This gun reminds me of a 380 I once had made by Bersa I once owned. Now that was a good gun.

Will

8)
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Re: P64

Post by Petrovich »

Cruiser wrote:Nice, So where did you get the pocket holster?
Galco. Order the one for the PPK. :D It's way overpriced (60 bucks), but very well made.

I tried a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster. It's lighter, and made of a sticky type polymer (smell like a new shower curtain). It's only 16 bucks and works just as good as the Galco. If I'd known about it I'd bought it before the galco.
Brian_Horton

Re: 9x18 Makarov

Post by Brian_Horton »

williampelish wrote:My Makarov was made in Hungary. Funny because I am Hungarian. I find it easy to shoot. However, my sight just never seems to be right and it has been adjusted over and over. This gun reminds me of a 380 I once had made by Bersa I once owned. Now that was a good gun.

Will

8)
Will,

Do you have an PA-63 made by the Hungarian company FEG? These are alloy frame two tone pistols that are pretty close copies the Walther PPK design. It fires the Mak round but it isn't really a Mak.

I used to own a PA-63, reliable and great size and weight for CCW. I sold it because it didn't fit my hand well It has a very sharp recoil that all seemed to go into a bone near the base of my thumb and I would have a sore hand for 2 days after shooting one box of ammo.

PS. Now don't call me a recoil wimp cause I love to shoot 10mm and I also have S&W 340PD which is a 12oz .357magnum. The 340PD has a very powerful recoil with .357mag in it but it is absorbed into the meat of my hands not one little bone so I'm not sore after shooting.
When the goin' gets tough, the tough go cyclic.

Happiness is a crew served weapon.
jhfenton

Re: P-64

Post by jhfenton »

Morne wrote:A little nylon holster with a clip attachs nicely to the seat belt for the plain-view law-thing
Whoops! If your holster is attached to the seat belt instead of to your body, you are in violation of the law.

Ohio Revised Code 2923.16 (E) and (E)1:

(E) No person who has been issued a license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun under section 2923.125 or 2923.1213 of the Revised Code shall do any of the following:

(1) Knowingly transport or have a loaded handgun in a motor vehicle unless the loaded handgun either is in a holster and in plain sight on the person's person or it is securely encased by being stored in a closed, locked glove compartment or in a case that is in plain sight and that is locked;
That's a matter of interpretation. I think the police (or a prosecutor) would have a hard time arguing that the statute means "attached" to the person's person when it says "on." If it's hooked on the seat belt up against his body, then I'd say it's "on" his person.

John

Disclaimer: I am not your attorney. This advice is worth what you paid for it.
awalls

Post by awalls »

I used to own a PA-63, reliable and great size and weight for CCW. I sold it because it didn't fit my hand well It has a very sharp recoil that all seemed to go into a bone near the base of my thumb and I would have a sore hand for 2 days after shooting one box of ammo.

I have a PA-63 that has pemamnently calused the top bone on my thumb. I have shot so many rounds through it it no longer cuts through my skin. I used to bleed every time I took it to the range. Size wight and its disign make it an awesome little ccw firearm. I must admit though anything over 7 yards and I cant hit the broadside of a barn with it. It also took me a long time to get the sights right.
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

awalls wrote:.
I have a PA-63 that has pemamnently calused the top bone on my thumb. I have shot so many rounds through it it no longer cuts through my skin. I used to bleed every time I took it to the range. Size wight and its disign make it an awesome little ccw firearm. I must admit though anything over 7 yards and I cant hit the broadside of a barn with it. It also took me a long time to get the sights right.
Wow....maybe your accuracy woes are due to flinching???

I've seen a couple PA-63's but never shot one. A guy at the range had one and he, too, had a tender hand from shooting it. The cut/callous you describe sounds like the slide is biting you. Not only does that hurt, it can also cause the gun to misfeed. I believe I'd look for another CC piece if I were you. :shock: