Silvertip Ammo

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Willy P

Silvertip Ammo

Post by Willy P »

We have a defensive round thread around here some place and we started talking about Silvertips there. It got me to thinking and I got out a box I had carried for a while and now have in my "shootemup" stack. I took my calipers out and measured each round. I found that several rounds were short! 60 thousandths or less. I'm sure that all were at the nominal I found for the round 1.210" that most were but some had suffered the effects of being the "Barney round " too many times. I measured all the current rounds I carry ( CorBons ) and noted all were within 1 thousandth or so of being the same length. I also noted that they use a case canilure <sp> to stop the bullet from backing into the case from repeated battering. Anyone else looked at used Silvertips lately?
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Hmm, Interesting observation indeed.

Hopefully someone with silvertips will see this and give their ammo a once over.
Life is precious, Got Sig?
Sig P250 Compact .40s&w
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Re: Silvertip Ammo

Post by TunnelRat »

Willy P wrote:I found that several rounds were short! 60 thousandths or less. I'm sure that all were at the nominal I found for the round 1.210" that most were but some had suffered the effects of being the "Barney round " too many times.
I have had the same problem with Speer Gold Dots in my Kel-Tec 3AT. Those top two rounds just keep getting shorter and shorter... :?
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
Willy P

Post by Willy P »

It makes it tempting to drop the first round in the chamber by hand and let the slide slam home on it BUT that is supposed to stress the extractor!
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

Willy P wrote:It makes it tempting to drop the first round in the chamber by hand and let the slide slam home on it BUT that is supposed to stress the extractor!
Won't hurt it a bit.

That refers to bolt action rifles in which the cartridge rim slips under the extractor claw as it is stripped from the magazine. For example the mauser action behaves this way.

Extractors that have a spring assembly behind them are not harmed.
Concealed and Confused

Post by Concealed and Confused »

Well I was not sure about Silvertips in my Glock23. Don't really know why just that , nobody ever had spoke of the use of them in a Glock..Having said that. I have used Silver tips for years in my Ruger Redhawk .44Mag, in my Colt Python .357Mag and in my Colt .45 Sliver Stallion with no problems ever.. It's just a nasty load that I've always liked. Silvertips have been about the only loads that have never given my .45 some kind of fit. Most or at least , alot of other loads don't like to leave the gun all the time and like to jam. Never have had a jam or misfire with my .45 with Silvertips. Never had a misfire with any of them ever and, their's been 1000.'s and 1000.'s of rounds put through them all. I have been using GoldDot's in my Glock with no problems so far. The Glock's my newer one.
Good or Bad, Thank you !
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

Yup, and they work good on werewolves, too. So I'm told.. 8)
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

tommcnaughton wrote:Yup, and they work good on werewolves, too. So I'm told.. 8)
:lol:
Life is precious, Got Sig?
Sig P250 Compact .40s&w
Willy P

Post by Willy P »

P4G I was taught it was a tactical NO NO to drop one in the spout and drop the slide on it. The being hard on the extractor was what I thought the reason was. All that was said at the time I was taught was it might cost you your life. Maybe it had something to do with a possible failure to eject for some other reason but I was taught not to do it. I know on rifles with the claw extractors and controlled feeding that the cartridge base needs to slip under the claw for a proper feeding of the round but had only guessed at why not to do it on a pistol. There was enough stress put on not doing it I will still continue not doing it and alternating my Barney round also.
Concealed and Confused

Post by Concealed and Confused »

tommcnaughton wrote:Yup, and they work good on werewolves, too. So I'm told.. 8)
:lol: :lol: Just let one come to find out , NO WAIT... A werewolf , maybe I'll shoot while running and try to update ya on that :lol:
Good or Bad, Thank you !
Redhorse

Post by Redhorse »

Extractors that have a spring assembly behind them are not harmed.
Gotta get behind P4G on that one. Any extractor with a spring assembly behind it should hold up to that no problem. If however, the extractor itself is in fact a flat spring, you would be "using up" that spring tension in a hurry. Certainly running the risk of breakage on one of those.
Freedom isn't free!
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

Willy P wrote:P4G I was taught it was a tactical NO NO to drop one in the spout and drop the slide on it. The being hard on the extractor was what I thought the reason was. All that was said at the time I was taught was it might cost you your life. Maybe it had something to do with a possible failure to eject for some other reason but I was taught not to do it. I know on rifles with the claw extractors and controlled feeding that the cartridge base needs to slip under the claw for a proper feeding of the round but had only guessed at why not to do it on a pistol. There was enough stress put on not doing it I will still continue not doing it and alternating my Barney round also.
I didn't say it was a good idea. :D I just said it wouldn't hurt the extractor. I agree it is probably a poor practice strictly from a tactical point of view.

Good extractors are made of spring steel. Even in the case of a mauser rifle, which is definately a no no...it would take many repeats to actually get the thing to break.