9mm ammo difference explanation?

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Redhorse

Post by Redhorse »

Everybody needs a 9mm...if for no other reason that as a practice gun.
Your right about that... 8) might have to work on that this winter.
Freedom isn't free!
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

Redhorse wrote:
Everybody needs a 9mm...if for no other reason that as a practice gun.
Your right about that... 8) might have to work on that this winter.
As far as plain old shooting pleasure is concerned you can't beat a full frame 9mm semi auto.
Willy P

Post by Willy P »

One round I have not seen mentioned here yet are the new expanding full metal jacket rounds. I work with a guy that got some and loves them. He has not shot anything that is flesh and blood with one but his guns feed them well, they are fairly cheap rounds, what he has shot them into makes him think they will be ok and expand as they are supposed to. Anyone tried any???
valian

Post by valian »

Curt,
You mentioned that you are one of those people who likes to know the details before making a choice. Usually I do not recommend certain loads but encourage people to do the research themselves so they understand the principles and because making a choice about something that culd affect your life is not something you should just take someone else's word on.

If you want to start your education on wound balistics a good place to go is http://www.firearmstactical.com There are many articles there. While the site has not been updated for a long time the basics are there. For more info you can read www.ammolab.com but it is a pay site now, however, they do have some info for free and offer some recommended loads by caliber that have stood well in their testing and street (police) use.

Another place to check out is the terminal effects forum at http://www.tacticalforums.com

Good luck and happy reading

valian
ballistic

Post by ballistic »

Willy P wrote:One round I have not seen mentioned here yet are the new expanding full metal jacket rounds. I work with a guy that got some and loves them. He has not shot anything that is flesh and blood with one but his guns feed them well, they are fairly cheap rounds, what he has shot them into makes him think they will be ok and expand as they are supposed to. Anyone tried any???
I understand this is the latest brainchild of bullet designer Tom Brzynski (sp?) of Eldorado Starfire and Federal HydraShok fame. It appears this bullet was developed to address the anti-gun contingent's hysteria about the alleged devastating effect of hollowpoint bullets (e.g., turning organs into unidentifiable chopped meat, exploding as little hand grenades within the body, more lethal due to expansion, etc.) all of which is sheer fantasy. The EFMJ is a fairly inspired concept. You get expansion of a hollowpoint but from a full metal jacket bullet. As far as cost I don't think they're that inexpensive; they're marketed as a Federal Premium defense load. They're probably relatively expensive to manufacture. Of course, the all important question is: how do they work on the street? I haven't tried them, and unless they turn out to be the greatest thing since sliced bread I probably won't.
Glock and dagger

Post by Glock and dagger »

The different weights will affect the performance of the bullet. Go lighter, velocity and shortrange accuracy are enhanced, and the wound channel is likely to go farther and deeper, plus, there is a greater probability of an exit wound being formed.

Go heavier, the bullet has less velocity, is less likely to be affected by wind deflection, and deceleration due to wind resistance, will have more mass of which to affect a target, and will be less likely to pass through a human target.

This is true with all bullets, not just 9mm.
I'm Glock and Dagger and I approved this message.

"If it deprives just one citizen of their God-given rights, it's not worth it."
-evan price

FOOTOS... the Fresh Fighter
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

valian wrote: If you want to start your education on wound balistics a good place to go is http://www.firearmstactical.com There are many articles there. While the site has not been updated for a long time the basics are there. For more info you can read www.ammolab.com but it is a pay site now, however, they do have some info for free and offer some recommended loads by caliber that have stood well in their testing and street (police) use.

Another place to check out is the terminal effects forum at http://www.tacticalforums.com
Yup, all good sites... I second the recommendation... :)
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
Willy P

Post by Willy P »

I saw an interesting test the other day. It was a penetration test using wet newpapers. They tested a 30-06 expanding bullet round against a handgun with a hard cast lead bullet. The 06 made it 16 or 18 inches into the papers. The handgun doubled that distance. We are talking a major hunk of lead out of the revolver as it was a 50 cal Linebaugh with a fullhouse load but it was still pretty impressive and showed just how well a nonexpanding bullet can travel through pretty stout test media. It sort of highlighted fast and controlled expanding against not so fast nonexpanding. I learned first hand that a 180 gr hollowpoint from a 44 mag. has pretty sucky penetration on flesh and blood where the slower 240 gr hollowpoints will yield two holes for blood to flow out of a large percentage of the time. I still tend towards the light and fast for a defense round as I do not want to shoot through and through in a defensive situation. Wet newspaper is not a perfect test media but it is pretty tough and consistent in results. FWIW
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

Willy P wrote: where the slower 240 gr hollowpoints will yield two holes for blood to flow out of a large percentage of the time. I still tend towards the light and fast for a defense round as I do not want to shoot through and through in a defensive situation.
A little hole going in and a great big hole going out.

I don't mind a little overpenetration. I figure for every shot that hits, there's gonna be two or three misses, breaking windows down the street anyhow... :? So I want the one that arrives on target to do the job that is called for.

A nice 4" .44 magnum offers a lot of comfort in tight situations -- even if it does weigh about 3 lbs.... :wink:
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
Willy P

Post by Willy P »

:D You know Tom they make the 500 S&W in a 4" model, now there is some comfort. :twisted: Just teasing a bit. I'm just really retentive about the overpenetration on BGs as there were lots of folks not the far away the times I've been pressed and would have liked a firearm in hand.
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

S&W 500 Air Weight

Post by TunnelRat »

Okay, Willy, I see what you have in mind for a pocket gun...:D
Type: Revolver
Model: 500 Air Weight
Caliber: 500 S&W Magnum
Barrel Length: 4" (3" + 1" Compensator)
Capacity: 5 Rounds
External Safety: N/A
Hammer: .430" Target
Grip: Hogue Rubber Energy Absorbing
Trigger: .400" Target Frame: X-Frame Rd
Front Sight: Red Ramp
Material: Scandium Alloy Frame, Barrel Shroud and Yoke, Titanium Cylinder, Stainless steel barrel liner
Rear Sight: Micrometer Click Adjustable Black Blade Overall length: 10-1/4"
Weight: 26 ounces
TunnelRat

Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Re: S&W 500 Air Weight

Post by Petrovich »

tommcnaughton wrote:Okay, Willy, I see what you have in mind for a pocket gun...:D
Material: Scandium Alloy Frame, Barrel Shroud and Yoke, Titanium Cylinder, Stainless steel barrel liner
You'd have to be a raving, maniacal right wing extremist to shoot that thing. :shock:
ballistic

Re: S&W 500 Air Weight

Post by ballistic »

tommcnaughton wrote:Okay, Willy, I see what you have in mind for a pocket gun...:D
Have you read about the loads for this caliber? Egad! You can go to hell in your own way, but don't want to be anywhere near someone whose setting off any of those loads.
Willy P

Post by Willy P »

I had a buddy that shot IHMS for quite a few years. He had shot some of the "smaller?" caliber Linebaughs and was big enough to actually like them ( too much for me ) The Thompson Arms rep was at a shoot and let him try a 45-70 out of a Contender. He said he shot ONE round and handed the gun back to the rep. Every time he told the story he started shaking his hand like he just hit his thumb with a framing hammer :shock: I honestly have no wants to shoot that 4" 500 but they are swearing that the 460 in an eight inch revolver is not that much above a 240 gr 44 out of your 4 " mountain gun. When I'm all healed I want to try one and see if I still want to shell out the cash for one.

Afterthought: Can you imagine lighting that 4" 500 off inside your coat pocket. :shock: YIKES !!!
CurtInOhio

Post by CurtInOhio »

Valian, thanks for the sites; I've seen a couple of them, and I'll keep reading.

I also called Mike at Doubletap Ammo and talked to him about his ammo a bit. I decided to get a box each of 124 and 147 gr ammo. He suggested considering 124 in warmer weahter, 147 in cold weather... but that either would be great rounds all year. He also suggested getting some of each, firing them, and picking the one that I shoot best... good idea to me, so I'm waiting on it to get here to try out. I'll try out a box of each and decide which I like better, then probably go with that.

Mike McNett was great, and explained things very well to me.
Curt M