9mm ammo difference explanation?

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

CurtInOhio wrote:I decided to get a box each of 124 and 147 gr ammo. He suggested considering 124 in warmer weahter, 147 in cold weather... but that either would be great rounds all year. He also suggested getting some of each, firing them, and picking the one that I shoot best... good idea to me, so I'm waiting on it to get here to try out. I'll try out a box of each and decide which I like better, then probably go with that.
Yup, try it and see what you like, but more importantly, see what your gun likes!

My Hi-Power shoots factory reloads in 124grain and 115 grain all day long, but I recently bought a bunch of factory reloads in 147 grain that the Hi-Power just refuses to feed. It's not the magazines -- I know 'cause I tried six different magazines.

Maybe the length of the reloaded rounds isn't right. Maybe they just don't sit right in a full mag, but I found that if I loaded more than 10 rounds in magazine the top two or three would not feed.

The time to find out about a failure like that is at the range -- not in a gun fight!!! :?
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

tommcnaughton wrote:
CurtInOhio wrote:I decided to get a box each of 124 and 147 gr ammo. He suggested considering 124 in warmer weahter, 147 in cold weather... but that either would be great rounds all year. He also suggested getting some of each, firing them, and picking the one that I shoot best... good idea to me, so I'm waiting on it to get here to try out. I'll try out a box of each and decide which I like better, then probably go with that.
Yup, try it and see what you like, but more importantly, see what your gun likes!

My Hi-Power shoots factory reloads in 124grain and 115 grain all day long, but I recently bought a bunch of factory reloads in 147 grain that the Hi-Power just refuses to feed. It's not the magazines -- I know 'cause I tried six different magazines.

Maybe the length of the reloaded rounds isn't right. Maybe they just don't sit right in a full mag, but I found that if I loaded more than 10 rounds in magazine the top two or three would not feed.

The time to find out about a failure like that is at the range -- not in a gun fight!!! :?
That's why we reload. :D