What holster do you use for CCW?

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

OHIOSTEVE

Post by OHIOSTEVE »

Glock Rock wrote:
weakhand luke wrote:I love my Alessi ankle holster. Very comfortable and easy to adjust to plain view in the car.
I have one of these also & love it... haven't the cajones to use it for "plain sight" yet.

Let us know if you ever the get the opinion of law enforcement - sure would like to use it for OSP car carry. :)
Our county sheriff who is EXTREMELY anti ccw told me that an ankle holster with the pants leg pulled up would comply with the open carry provision....HOWEVER I do NOT trust the guy to follow what he says.
OHIOSTEVE

Re: fat guys

Post by OHIOSTEVE »

CMiddleton wrote:I want to know what you guys with bellies do? I have a belly, and if it gets much bigger, I can hide a baby glock in my belly button. But in the mean time, where do the guns go? Suggestions?
BTW I am a 42x34 if anyone with similar dimensions wants to suggest a mode of carry.
Same problem here...bought a CTAC and sent it back and had them extend the back panel to cover the hammer on the 1911 cause it was digging into my side BADLY...Sent me a new one and then the back panel was digging into my side...sent them both back....HOWEVER the customer service was the best I have ever encountered.
BTW for those who carry a full sized 1911 how do you manage all the covering and uncovering...I am a salesman and sometimes have 6-8 stops in a day at customers houses...,All I need is for a customer to see me covering a gun...Sometimes I have to take a new sales person along for training....Hard to explain to them why you are pulling a gun out of your pants ( SMART CARRY) when they get in the car. I wear casual dress( no jacket) and have pretty much stopped carrying due to all of the hassle...and buying a new gun is not gonna happen at this time.
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

OHIOSTEVE wrote: BTW for those who carry a full sized 1911 how do you manage all the covering and uncovering...I am a salesman and sometimes have 6-8 stops in a day at customers houses...,All I need is for a customer to see me covering a gun...Sometimes I have to take a new sales person along for training....Hard to explain to them why you are pulling a gun out of your pants ( SMART CARRY) when they get in the car. I wear casual dress( no jacket) and have pretty much stopped carrying due to all of the hassle...and buying a new gun is not gonna happen at this time.
Your post only underscores what I have felt for a long time. Duty weapons, and military sidearms are just not suitable for CC. There is too much risk of being indiscreet at a very bad time. Not to mention there is almost no way to carry them comfortably even half the time.

Yes, it would be nice to have access to the kind of firepower these types of weapons offer. It just isn't practical, though, IMO.
Rob-Black99RT

C-TAC for the G30

Post by Rob-Black99RT »

Just picked up a C-TAC holster for my G30 with rails (frame recall upgrade) since they're the only folks I know of making one to fit that model. So far, it's great. It's a lot more comfortable than the Sidearmor IWB I was using before on the non-railed G30 frame. Here's pics:

Unconcealed:

Concealed:

Works well for me. 8)
- Rob
G30
rhwiley

Post by rhwiley »

I dunno, I stand just a little over five feet tall and weigh less than 150 lbs soaking wet with a bar of GI soap in each hand, yet I manage to carry a 5" government model or a Browning Hi-Power without a lot of effort. [I confess I prefer the smaller Officers Model, but one makes do...
Tom,

What holster are you using? I'm carrying a Colt Officers 3 1/2" in a Haugen Pro Carry holster, and although I like my holster for how well it's built, the problem remains I need to be careful to wear loose clothes when carrying, ect. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Bob Wiley
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Re: C-TAC for the G30

Post by Petrovich »

Rob-Black99RT wrote:Just picked up a C-TAC holster for my G30 with rails (frame recall upgrade) since they're the only folks I know of making one to fit that model. So far, it's great. It's a lot more comfortable than the Sidearmor IWB I was using before on the non-railed G30 frame. Here's pics:

Unconcealed:

[img]
Concealed:

/www.ps127.com/G30/C-TAC-small-pics/07190002-small.JPG[/img]

Works well for me. 8)
If you say that's comfortable I have no choice but to take your word for it. :shock:
Rob-Black99RT

Re: C-TAC for the G30

Post by Rob-Black99RT »

Petrofergov wrote: If you say that's comfortable I have no choice but to take your word for it. :shock:
Yeah, it's actually not bad at all. Sure, OWB is the best for comfort (obviously), but for a concealable, tuckable holster, it works pretty darn well.
- Rob
G30
rhwiley

Re: Short fat guys

Post by rhwiley »

When the weather is cool enough for a covering garment, I go with a Milt Sparks Summer Special, or their Summer Special II which rides a bit lower and has changeable belt loops.
That's about how I feel about my Haugen Pro-Carry - it'd be great for cool weather, but wearing two shirts while outside can be a little obvious in this weather.

Also, I'm a little fond of solid leather designs though. Not very handy for taking the Colt off my side when going into a CPZ, but I'm a little paranoid about one of the snaps coming undone in public areas. Then again, I could always make a statement by just wearing an empty holster into a CPZ... nah!

However, I will have to look into Kramer Fits All/Tuckable.
Current this is what my holster setup looks like (when carrying open).

A side note: I just realized after looking at this photo - this soldier needs to get back to the gym/track before I need to do another weigh-in. Eeek! I thought I'd better say it before anyone else does. :lol:
I don't work for these guys, but I appreciate their well made holsters.
Neither do I work for them - but it's always good to get helpful information. Thanks!

Bob Wiley
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

Petrofergov wrote:

Yeah, yeah, "This is my rifle, this is my gun...."
I used it once. I was charged with 'assault with a dead weapon'.
BeltFedWeapon

Post by BeltFedWeapon »

I purchased a leather Blackhawk pancake holster for my Kimber Pro Carry II. Very nice and well built.
Lee in OH

Post by Lee in OH »

DeSantis OWB brown leather with a 5" 1911.
ArcherAce

Post by ArcherAce »

In cooler weather, when I can use a cover garment, I carry my Glock 19 in a Fobus roto holster. I like being able to adjust the cant. Also, it worked out great as my first holster. Being adjustable it let me decide how I wanted to carry. Small of back, crossdraw, strong side... For $20, it was a heck of deal.

For IWB, I use a Comp Tac C-Tac that I bought used off another forum. It's thin and pretty comfortable. I can conceal the Glock 19 with just a T-shirt. The tuckable option of the C-Tac works well also if you're wearing a dress style shirt. For some reason I haven't try tucking in a T-shirt with it. Strange, since I prefer my shirts tucked in.

If I'm wearing shorts without a belt (gym style) or if it's really hot out, I'll use a Smart Carry. I've only been carrying since December, but I've come to believe that this is the best option for concealment and comfort. The Glock 19 fits well in there, but it really shines when I drop my thin Kahr P-9 into it. Riding a bike, working in the yard cutting the grass, sitting, standing, whatever, the Smart Carry is my hands down first choice for a holster.

The only drawbacks to the Smart Carry are the speed of drawing and satisfying our stupid "plain sight in your car" law. They say you can draw quickly with the Smart Carry, but I haven't had the time to practice with it. As far as the plain sight in your car goes, I'm hoping that I can just pull it up out of my pants a bit so it "Mexican Style". Hopefully I'll never have to test that theory. :roll:

My first post! WooHoo!

Rob
Brian_Horton

Post by Brian_Horton »

ArcherAce wrote: For IWB, I use a Comp Tac C-Tac that I bought used off another forum. It's thin and pretty comfortable. I can conceal the Glock 19 with just a T-shirt. The tuckable option of the C-Tac works well also if you're wearing a dress style shirt. For some reason I haven't try tucking in a T-shirt with it. Strange, since I prefer my shirts tucked in.
I tuck my CTAC all the time. It works very well doesn't it? I carried my 1911 Commander Bobtail all day at the OFCC picnic with my shirt tucked in and it was very concealed and comfortable.
When the goin' gets tough, the tough go cyclic.

Happiness is a crew served weapon.
ArcherAce

Post by ArcherAce »

As a rule, "Mexican Style" doesn't meet the requirements of the law for vehicle carry.

However, if you've got it sticking out of a Smart Carry, that might qualify as a holster. Then, of course, the question reverts to: "Is an inside the waistband holster in 'plain sight'"?
That was the idea, Tom. I was thinking (hoping) that I could have it pulled out of the holster abit with my shirt tucked in behind the handle. It would appear to be carried mexican style.

Which leaves me wondering how much of the gun has to be exposed in order for it to be considered "in plain sight"? Does it have to be a certain percentage of the overall size of the gun, or can you have as little as the magazine plate sticking out?
Congrats! Welcome to the Forum.
Thanks!