What holster do you use for CCW?

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

CurtInOhio

Post by CurtInOhio »

Archerace,

I use a Smartcarry, too, and I've checked with a couple sherriff's departments and was told that having the grip exposed would satisfy the plain sight requirement. When I get in the car, I just pull the whole holster up so that the grip is exposed. And I'm losing weight, so it's more and more in plain sight every day :)

Last weekend, I spent the day barbecuing at a friend's house for about 12 hours; they never knew I had the Smartcarry on, which is the idea, right? That was the first time I was around a lot of people at an event like that while carrying, and I felt comfortable that no one would have a clue.
Curt M
FASTK

Post by FASTK »

In summer - a fanny is the preferred CCW, works especially well for vehicle carry as all you need to do is zip it wide open on your lap.

For any cooler weather a shoulder rig, Miami style works for me, having had two separated shoulders, a 3:30-4:00 reach is not an option.

Now on the motorcycle, I have only ridden with the firearm in a shoulder rig on the outside of my riding gear a few times, had a cop do a triple take but no stop. Plain view is the law.... :roll:
Columbus, OH
Glock 17 & 26
marinecorpsmike

Post by marinecorpsmike »

I use a Smartcarry for my Kahr PM40 and it works very well. It's comfortable sitting or standing. Not the best for the "plain sight in the car" rule, but doable.
toddhill

Post by toddhill »

I've been using an ankle rig at work for my S&W 642 and I really like it since I have to wear dress pants & shirt... I bought 5.11 tactical boots to support it and it has been working great.
biff138

www.abetterholster.com - The Concealment Shirt Holster

Post by biff138 »

I use the Concealment Shirt Holster from A Better Holster.com.
Their website is www.abetterholster.com
It is an Ohio based company, and it is by far the most comfortable holster I have ever worn in the last 10 yrs. It was designed by a undercover Federal Law Enforcement Officer and will work for just about any gun and it conceals great.
MDM

Post by MDM »

What kind of firearm are you carrying. Might be good for a small revolver but I`d be concerned about carrying a chambered auto in that rig. It looks like it might be comfortable even though I`m not a big fan of having my gun under my arm.
"A citizen who shirks his duty to contribute to the security of his community is little better than the criminal who threatens it."
conspire

Post by conspire »

I use different things for different situations. If i'm just out and about, I use inside waistband. If I'm on a bike ride, I use a fanny pack holster. Winter time I prefer shoulder holster.
biff138

Concealment Shirt Holster

Post by biff138 »

MDM,
It is fine for larger guns, especially full size semi autos. A friend of mine is LAPD and he carries his Beretta in one. I carry a Sig 229 in it daily. I have on occassion carried a Glock 23 in it also. The Sig is obviously heavier than the Glock, however, the shirt does not sag at all. I've worn it for more than 14 hrs at a time and never a experienced problem.
You should give it a try.
H_MaN

CCW Holsters

Post by H_MaN »

I use two different holsters, a Fobus Paddle for in the car and a Hedley Pocket holster for everywhere else.

http://hedleyholsters.com/
Navy_Marksman

AKJ Concealco IWB Holster

Post by Navy_Marksman »

Just a quick note:

It took 9 weeks to get but after using this holster for one week it is everything that it is advertised and more. It is confortable and conceals well. The workmanship is great. I would strongly recomend this custom manufacture. Communication is week but this is a one man craftsman and a expert craftsman he is. So look him up on the web and you will not be disapointed in this product.

John