Your personal firearm firsts

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Your personal firearm firsts

Post by Sevens »

Hey, I thought of a "first" to add.
A first Wildcat chambering in my safe and at my load bench!

In the event you may not know, the term Wildcat in gunning refers to a cartridge that was conceived by someone AND in use by folks that is not and has not been available as built and shipped by gunmakers.

Lots of cartridges began life as Wildcats... if they are good enough and become popular, they become former wildcats. .300 Black Out is a recent one... the .22-250 is a legendary one.

Mine? .357-44 B&D! The letters stand for "Bain & Davis", the California gun shop that came up with the round and offered the gunsmith work to alter revolvers to accept them.

Basically, it is a piece of .44 Magnum brass that bottlenecks to hold a .357 bullet. It allows you to put a larger powder charge than you can in a .357 Magnum case.

It's fun and forming the brass isn't difficult. Big fireball when the hammer falls.

The launch platform is a 1978-built S&W Model 28-2, a great choice for alteration since they made so many. The 28 is an N-frame, so it's the same cylinder and frame size that most S&W .44 Magnums are made on. My .357-44 B&D cylinder is actually an altered extra cylinder, I also have the revolver's original cylinder with the gun.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

Sevens wrote:Hey, I thought of a "first" to add.
A first Wildcat chambering in my safe and at my load bench!

In the event you may not know, the term Wildcat in gunning refers to a cartridge that was conceived by someone AND in use by folks that is not and has not been available as built and shipped by gunmakers.

Lots of cartridges began life as Wildcats... if they are good enough and become popular, they become former wildcats. .300 Black Out is a recent one... the .22-250 is a legendary one.

Mine? .357-44 B&D! The letters stand for "Bain & Davis", the California gun shop that came up with the round and offered the gunsmith work to alter revolvers to accept them.

Basically, it is a piece of .44 Magnum brass that bottlenecks to hold a .357 bullet. It allows you to put a larger powder charge than you can in a .357 Magnum case.

It's fun and forming the brass isn't difficult. Big fireball when the hammer falls.

The launch platform is a 1978-built S&W Model 28-2, a great choice for alteration since they made so many. The 28 is an N-frame, so it's the same cylinder and frame size that most S&W .44 Magnums are made on. My .357-44 B&D cylinder is actually an altered extra cylinder, I also have the revolver's original cylinder with the gun.
That reminds me of the 20/50 round its a neck down 20 mm shell to 50 bmg. Anzo iron works sells the gun and the custom cart . They also sell a 20 mm rifle as well.
Black Rifles Matter
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

Very first firearm was a Ruger Anschutz match 64 22lr target rifle...age 14

First handgun was a Ruger Old Army..age 16

Followed by a Thompson Center Contender with 22 hornet 10" barrel....still 16

Then came a Ruger Mark II....maybe 17 yrs old.

First new gun I bought post 18 was a 20 gauge H&R topper.

Bill
Have a great day today unless you have made other plans :-).
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

:lol:
I think you posted on page 1 or 2. Shall we test your memory? :lol:
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

willbird wrote:My first rifle was a Savage Anschutz match 64, I was involved in junior NRA smallbore and used Adams Conservation club rifles for the first year or two...and dad gave me that rifle for a birthday present. Dad was a part time gunsmith and a small bore shooter had traded it in because it wouldnt shoot, well dad faced .03" off the action screws (which were bottomed out) and it started shooting again, with the old WW 22 target ammo it would shoot an amazing sub 1" group at 200 yards..more like 3/4"...wish I had saved that group dad gave to me with the rifle ("you have no excuses now" he said).

My first handgun was a Ruger Old army....I had looked at the cap and ball guns in Dixie catalogs for years, I was at least 16 and noticed Clelands had a used one in the case, I mentioned it to either dad or mom....well it showed up under the Christmas tree that year :-). When I started working I had the cash to get a Ruger mark II (wish I had it back now)...I was not 21 yet but dad bought it for me at a gunshow. The first new gun I ever bought was at Kmart, and it was an H&R topper 20 gauge.

Bill
Sorry Bill, I had to take someone's devilish suggestion and post up this old one from you for the heck of it. :mrgreen:
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.