Your personal firearm firsts

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Your personal firearm firsts

Post by Sevens »

awaggoner wrote:...was my grandfathers Browning 12G. I'm not real sure on the model, but its the one that has the odd shaped receiver that kind of has a "hump" on it.
I'd bet that was the historic Browning A-5. If you look up at my post right before yours, under the heading where I damaged my first gun, that Remington Auto-5 is the Browning design but built & sold by Remington. These were very popular shotguns in days gone by. They were full recoil operated, no gas piston, and the entire barrel recoils into the receiver when you shoot them. That's why they have the big "hump." Cool old shotguns!
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
Bigdog450

Post by Bigdog450 »

My first gun to shoot was a Mossberg bolt action .410. My dad had 2 of them, don't really know why. I was 18 when I first shot a gun. Growing up I loved guns, bb guns, cap guns, anything that resembled a gun. That fascination continues into my adult life. First gun i bought was a Makarov 9x18 at a gun show in Cincinnati. Have bought and traded over a dozen since then.
williejoeshaver

Post by williejoeshaver »

My first guns purchased were a glorious two-fer on the same day. After some time on the range with someone who had a veritable arsenal from which to sample and after testing out many different items I started my collection with a Glock 17 and a Ruger GP100 and I cannot think of a much better pair of good-quality starters. First long gun I bought was an impulse-buy cheapo GP-WASR 10 and while it is fun it is a hunk of junk and I am lucky to hit the broad side of any given barn. The collection is now in double-digits missing only some representatives from the shotgun family.
scriz

Post by scriz »

First firearm I ever fired was a .22 rifle. Couldn't tell you what brand, was about 15 years ago. First handgun, Beretta M9, which was also my first carry gun (Inport Security Forces for US Navy) First true experience with a rifle Bushmaster M16A1, M4A2. First shotgun Mossberg M500. OC'd (Oleoresin Capsicum, pepper spray) November 27th 2007. :D

First handgun purchase December of 2007, Hi Point C9 (gotta start somewhere :D)
Rhino
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Rhino »

Don't remember what I first fired. That was too long ago and they all belonged to friends. First handgun I ever owned was a Ruger Police Service Six 357. It belongs to my wife now. It's still the sweetest shooting handgun I've ever fired. First rifle I ever owned was a Winchester Model 94 30-30. First shotgun was a Mossberg 500A. First gun I ever carried concealed I'm pretty sure was a Ruger SP101 357. There's an outside chance it was a Smith & Wesson 4516, but I'm pretty sure it was the SP101.
No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message. However, a rather large number of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.

The Constitution shall never be construed … to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.
-- Samuel Adams

Condensed Guide to Ohio Concealed Carry Laws
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

First AR I'd ever shot was U.S. Gov't issued, but I've never been enlisted. :oops: (thanks to all who HAVE!)
My records indicate that it was a Hydramatic M16A1, fired at the SAFS on the Viale range at Camp Perry, 1989. That would most definitely have been at the 200 yard line, and the next day at the 300 yard line. Wonderful memories! :)

Over the next twenty four years I was developing my extreme love for handguns.
And then, on the night that George Zimmerman was read his "not guilty" verdict, I finally became (yet another) American that actually owned an AR-pattern rifle. I bought a Rock River LAR-15 with a 20" barrel and precious little else from a good buddy for a fair price. Indeed... my first "evil black rifle."

Well, unless you wanna call a Kel-Tec Sub2k an EBR. It's more of a subgun, given that it runs the 9mm cartridge.
williejoeshaver wrote:My first guns purchased were a glorious two-fer on the same day.
Now the guy that posted this doesn't seem to have hung around our site, but he did leave me a nugget for another "first", and YEAH, I'm reaching at this point. :P

But my first-ever "two guns in one day" was back in June, 2009. On that day I made a trip out to Vance's to snag that aforementioned Kel-Tec Sub-2000 that I had actually ordered and waited to get. And just a couple hours later, I met a guy from these very forums (I was new here at the time!) and bought a Smith & Wesson Model 10-6 (circa 1983) with a nickeled finish and a four-inch tapered barrel. That guy isn't active anymore, either. Which is a shame, he seemed like a nice guy. That was also my "FIRST EVER!" purchase of a used firearm from an ad in an online forum. :D

There's really a first for everything, and I still love this thread. 8)
So please add some goodies to it! I wanna hear about your first guns and your early experiences in this hobby/lifestyle.
(even if it WAS only 2.5 years ago... heh heh, you know who you are... :P )
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

First rifle: When I moved away to go to college, my father gave me his old Mossberg 142A, which was given to him by his father. I, in turn, plan to give it to my oldest son at the right time.

First handgun: I'd been saving for a handgun and had put almost enough away when the antis decided I should submit to various forms of infringement before I was able to own said handgun, so with permission from my wife to extract a bit from the budget I bought my Ruger P89 on the very eve of the Brady bill taking effect.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

OK, my first ATF 3310.4 "Multiple Handgun Purchase Record" form...was a box of Sig P-6's. Bought SIX of them from a supplier out of state and transferred them in...they make great truck guns.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

evan price wrote:OK, my first ATF 3310.4 "Multiple Handgun Purchase Record" form...was a box of Sig P-6's. Bought SIX of them from a supplier out of state and transferred them in...they make great truck guns.
Sig P6 was my first semi-auto purchase. That's what I took my CHL class with.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
QuackXP

Post by QuackXP »

First Firearm Ever Shot and First Rifle Shot - Age 7-9 - It was a .22. I'm guessing either my late grandfathers Stevens Visible Loader or my then fathers now mine Marlin Model 25

First Handgun Shot and First Revolver Shot - Age 7-9 - Ruger Blackhawk .357

First Semi Auto Pistol Shot - Age Teenager - Ruger Mk II

First Shotgun Shot - Age Teenager - Unknown single shot break open 12ga, at Boy Scout camp shooting trap.

First Centerfire Pistol Shot - Age 18-21- Glock 17 Gen 2

First Centerfire Rifle Shot - Age Late 20's - SKS

First Owned Handgun - Age Mid 20's - Colt Lawman Mk IV - Gift from grandfather.

First Purchased Handgun - Age Mid 20's - S&W Sigma SW9VE

First (and only) Sold Handgun - Age Late 20's - S&W Sigma SW9VE

First Owned Rimfire Rifle - Age Early 30's - Marlin Model 25 - Gift from father.

First Owned and Purchased Centerfire Rifle - Age Early 30's - Colt AR-15 LE6920
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
eugene

Post by eugene »

First gun to shoot IIRC was a borrowed .410 with slug for deer season.

First gun, Marlin .22 semi auto bad bought me years ago.

First gun I purchased, Henry US Survival last year

First pistol I shot was dads Savage ,22 single shot "revolver" he told me to take when I took the wife a son camping for the first time in case there were any bear. I tried target shooting the next morning and couldn't even hit the tree I had hung the target on.

First pistol I bought, smith and Wesson M&P 9c.
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

Terrific list!
Shows that I can add another... First handgun I ever sold:
Well, I didn't. I traded it. It was a Gen 2 Glock 19 and I sent it on with four magazines & a package of range ammo to another OFCC'er who is still active here. In return I go a very slick Smith & Wesson Model 60, 3" barreled .357 Magnum, with a bit of defense ammo and three holsters. I had thought a 9mm G19 would be a lot of fun when I bought it, but it felt unusually snappy to me for what was simply a 9mm. This is something I still have trouble figuring out... as I had owned, shot & loved my 10mm chambered Glock 29 for nearly TWO YEARS before I picked up this G19. In any case, I believe the gentleman I swapped the G19 to still has it, and I trust it's still serving him well. It was to be his EDC.

I liked the Model 60 very much -- my first ILS-equipped S&W, it felt well built and was absolutely smooth and wildly accurate. It did not, however, handle recoil all too well... or more to the point, I didn't handle recoil from it all too well. :| I'm a die-hard Smith & Wesson wheelgunner, but J-frames just aren't my cup of tea, so unfortunately, I did end up selling that great little revolver. I think if I still had it, I would investigate other grip/stock options and see if I couldn't mate the smallish revolver better to my hand. I wouldn't call it a huge regret, but I can definitely say that it was a very good revolver.
tdonnellyem

Post by tdonnellyem »

first rifle shot: i was 7-8 years old and got to shoot dads marlin model 99 .22lr
first handgun: i was 10 and finally brave/strong enough to shoot dads high standard supermatic citation. i mention strong enough because it has a 7" barrel with a scope on it. pretty heavy to hold at arms length. i mention brave because i always thought the slide coming back would cut my hand!
68G20

Post by 68G20 »

The first long gun I ever fired was an original Civil War used Pattern 1853 Enfield musket that I fired while seated on my fathers lap at the age of 7, Dad is gone now but that musket still hangs on my wall.
First hangun was Dad's 1st generation Colt Detective Special when I was about 10, it's in my gun safe behind me as I type this.
Be courteous,kind and polite and have a plan to kill everyone you meet
bearkitty

Post by bearkitty »

First handgun bought: S&W .38 Bodyguard

First handgun sold: the same S&W .38 Bodyguard (hated it!)

First handgun fired: It was a 9mm Glock of some sort, fired into the air (ugh!) in what I believed was the middle of nowhere. I've learned a lot since then.

First long-gun bought: an AR-15

First long-gun sold: that AR-15, shortly after I became unemployed and sold it to a friend who really wanted it, and who knew I really needed the money at the time. I've since replaced it :)

First long-gun fired: can only say it was on the clay course at Hill & Dale CC in NE Ohio...double barrel something that blistered my thumb by station 4. I was the top female shooter that day, and the only one to leave without a black eye. I still can't find anyone to tell me what it might have been - only that I won't find one in any gun shop 'round here

Favorite long-gun owned or fired: My Grandfathers WWII era Winchester 20 gauge. Except when hubby puts a Magnum in it to try to make me miss. It hurts, but I never miss!
"Awesome" is code word for CC in my house. Cuts down on the kids asking, loudly, in public, if I am in possession of anything that goes bang.