Your personal firearm firsts

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Your personal firearm firsts

Post by Sevens »

tecpatl4 wrote:My dad was a small town cop. I don't know where he got it but I suspect it was his throwdown piece.
Wow. That's making a.... statement?! Do we both think that means the same thing?
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

First firearm I ever shot was a family friend's service (he's a local LEO) Glock 9mm.

First pistol I ever fell in love with was this same gentleman's single-stack 1911, 45 ACP. To this day, I don't know exactly what that pistol was, but I do remember the Colt stampings.

That was back when I was about 13 years old. That single range experience sparked my love for firearms.

In the interim, I've been to the range about a dozen times, and got to shoot various firearms (both long-guns and handguns), courtesy of some generous friends. These outings usually spaced themselves apart on the order of a year or two, if not more, in between each one. I distinctly remember my undergraduate years as being among the dry spells (although I was heavily into paintball at the time; this was the early to mid-late 90s), and again a period from just when I left medical school until more recently (between 2004 and just this past year).

The first firearm I owned?

A new-to-me XDm9, with slight modifications, which I bought from a friend, for home-defense.

I now try to visit the range (about 20 miles from me) at least twice a month, and typically go through about 400 to 800 rounds on each visit. Among my very modest armory now is a new as of Jan. 16th XDm9 3.8 Compact, through which I've already put through about 750 rounds, heavily biased towards my chosen SD/HD ammo (Federal HST 147 gr.), which will be my EDC. I'm currently seeking my Ohio CCW, along with basic defensive pistol and low-light training, set to begin this Spring.

On my list are a good home-defense shotgun, as well as the appropriate training to go with that big firearm. In all my years, I've actually yet to fire a shotgun.... :shock: So I'm looking forward to that, in more ways than one. :mrgreen:

I know that no home should be without a good rifle, but I'm still on the fence about it - and no, I really don't know why. :oops:

Oh, and yes, I lust after single-stack 1911s. It's something that I've tried to keep myself from, whenever I step into a shop or gun-show: or even when friends bring them to the range. I fear that if I do go down that road, I'd quickly go broke! :lol:
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
tecpatl4

Post by tecpatl4 »

Sevens wrote:
tecpatl4 wrote:My dad was a small town cop. I don't know where he got it but I suspect it was his throwdown piece.
Wow. That's making a.... statement?! Do we both think that means the same thing?
He never denied it, but wouldn't ever talk about it either.
NordicRX8

Post by NordicRX8 »

First "gun" was a Daisy Red Ryder when I was 8. Surprised I got one for Christmas from my anti-gun immigrant parents. Mom did like the fact that her strawberries and other fruit crops were not ravaged as much after I started hunting in the backyard. :lol: She just requested that I bury all the chipmunks and bring her all the rabbits.

First firearm was a Stainless Ruger Old Army since I was living in NYC at the time. Blackpowders were exempt from NYC 'civilized' gun restrictions. I had old schoolmates and friends in the suburbs that I visited, just to shoot and fish with. I never dared to carry that cannon while living in the jungles of NYC... a 5" Tanto served me better.

First centerfire handgun shot was a SIG 220. Nice gun. I was a better shot than its owner. :) Tried to get him to sell it to me but he couldn't part with his .45 He did offer me a .44 Charter Arms Bulldog, but after it gained notoriety from the Son of Sam killings, I passed on it.

First shotgun I bought was a Mossberg 500 camoflaged field/slug combo... I traded it for a Nintendo system w/50+ games.

First handgun I bought as a Buckeye was a Ruger MKII Stainless w/6" Bull Barrel. I kept this until way after the MK IIIs came out and sold it... to fund a .22 Kimber conversion kit (for the many 1911s I have accumilated)

First EBR I purchased was a few weeks before the price increases resulting from the 94 AWB. A Colt H-Bar Sportster. Picked up at one of the Lima gunshows for $650. I picked up my first caliber conversion kit at that same time. A Ceiner .22LR AR kit with one mag.

First 1911 I bought that brought on "the SiCkNeSs" was a Norinco. Right before Clinton banned Chinese gun imports with an E.O. :cry:

First squib I made reloading for my 1911 was within my first 100 rounds ever churned out. It was on an RCBS ammomaster I got from my wife as a B-day present. I shot that squib into the barrel (on the 2nd shot) of my brand spankin new Para P14 I got for Christmas 1994 (which was the first real gun I ever recieved as a gift). It was a cold day at the range (Sabres Club in Lima) and was lucky I wasn't doing a rapid fire drill and noticed a pop instead of a bang. That put the P14 out of commission for that range visit as I didn't have the tools I needed to remove a stuck bullet. I also wanted to pull the bullets from that first batch I made. I pulled 98 bullets that night after getting the 200gr LSWC dislodged from my barrel. Barrel looked and measured fine. No other squibs found. Over 100,000 more .45s churned out to date with no squibs on that same ammomaster press. I loaded up another slow 200 rounds (4.5 hours on a progressive) and shot them all a week later through the P14.

First revolver I bought was a GP-161 6" blued .357 from Target World down in Cinci. around 1996. I traded it in on a KGP-161 (Stainless version) + $50 a few weeks later with a co-worker. I eventually traded the KGP-161 on a 90% blued Auto Ordnance 1911 at the Lima gun show.

First polymer gun I bought was a G23 (.40S&W) at E.J. Griffiths and Sons liquidation auction when they went under. Stood around all fracken day (started at 10am - walked out with my Glock at 3:45pm) to save $49 on a new G23! I thought I was gonna get a bargain, but didn't see ANY deals. :roll: I ended up trading it straight up for a G17 (9mm) which I liked shooting better. I eventually traded that G17 (and 1000 9mm Federal Brass, 10 boxes of 9mm Silertips, 500 .40 cases and 10 boxes of PMC Starfire ammo) towards a Colt Commander and some 200 rounds of WWII GI Ball ammo. The sickness strikes again :P

First CCW was a Kimber Stainless Ultra II picked up at Vance's on sale. It was my first time there... wow! what a store. The neighborhood made the hair on the back of my neck tingle, but the store is an oasis. Vance's should have a frequent buyer's club!!! I travel to C-Bus for work about once a year and always stop by Vance's before heading home... I've never failed to walk out of there without spending some of my paycheck/savings. :oops:

All the above firearms and my entire collection of arms up until July 2010 were lost in a terrible boating tragedy... I won't go into details as the memories are just too hard to bring back. Lets just say... if you need to find these treasures, check in the Atlantic ocean 2 miles out from the Connecticut coast line.

First custom gun... is currently getting worked on by a local smith. He's milling a Colt Commander slide for Novak sights (and then rebluing the slide - it was fading) and Hot Blueing the "in-the-white" Fusion Arms forged frame I built the gun around. The gun is a Commander length 1911 in .460 Rowland. The compensator on the Clark Custom conversion kit is 1" long so overall my .460R Commander will be roughly 1/4" longer than a standard Govt. model. It has a Cylinder and Slide 4# ignition kit in it and lots of other goodies. It has the BESTEST trigger of all my 1911s! Would love to make it a hunting handgun, but in Ohio barrels have to 5" min. Does anyone know if a compensator counts as part of the barrel length (to the ODNR anyway)? :D
Suppose the Second amendment said "A well-educated electorate being necessary for self-governance in a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed." Is there anyone who would suggest that means only registered voters have a right to read? – Robert Levy

A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys... - Charlton Heston
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

NordicRX8 wrote: All the above firearms and my entire collection of arms up until July 2010 were lost in a terrible boating tragedy... I won't go into details as the memories are just too hard to bring back. Lets just say... if you need to find these treasures, check in the Atlantic ocean 2 miles out from the Connecticut coast line.
Sorry for your loss. Coincidentally, I had nearly the same problem, except mine were lost deep in Lake Erie. It's sad really... :cry:
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

First rifle I ever bought-- A Stevens Model 89. I found this new at the LGS and it was a lever action .22 rifle... or rather, it looked like one. It was actually a lever operated single shot rifle. No magazine, not a repeater of any kind. Open the lever and the breech block would tilt downward from the top to show the breech end of the chamber. You'd slide one round in and then manually cock the rifle. After firing, you'd open the lever and as soon as the breech block tilted down, the empty case would eject under spring pressure. I don't recall it costing a whole lot, but I thought it would be very cool to own a lever action rifle. But alas, it wasn't really a lever action, like I wanted. The trigger was very heavy, the sights were lousy and the receiver wasn't drilled/tapped for a scope and there was no integral rail for one, either.

I ended up selling it about a year later at a gun show. I lost money on it, but I remember it not being such a loss that it bothered me. I never did buy a real lever action after that, neither rimfire or center fire.

First true target rifles that I ever shot belonged to the local Sportsman's Club that I was a member of in High School. I competed on the smallbore four-position rifle team and we used the Remington 540-X single shot rifles with aperture sights. Those things were absolute tack drivers at 50 feet... when goofing around, we'd shoot flies off our targets and it wasn't even that difficult. There were also some older rifles that the club had possession of -- as I recall, these were actually owned by the CMP and on indefinite loan to the club. I was shooting there in the late 80s, and I'd be willing to bet that these older rifles had been there since the 60s. I did get to shoot a couple of them, they were Remington Model 513-T Matchmaster rifles. They were large, heavy and they didn't have the slick adjustable butt plates that our 540-X rifles had, but they were no slouch when it came time to drill bulls. These were magazine fed, but we didn't have any magazines, so we single loaded them. There were also a couple of Rem 580's there also that I shot. For all of our practice and match shooting, we used Winchester T-22 standard velocity target ammo.

At matches, we got to see some of the kids shooting the very cool Anschutz rifles, but I've never fired one.

The first center fire rifle that I ever shot was a bolt action .30-06 that belonged to the brother of a friend of mine. We turned a squirrel inside out with it. I don't recall who made it, but it had iron sights and no scope on it. I do remember some decent recoil! :P
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
sw38

Post by sw38 »

well, new to the forum and to CC-- Hello All
My first rifle shot was asimilar experience at scout camp only no one ever taught me that I was left eye dominant until my 3rd try at qualifying and then it was off to the races!
I didnt purchase a gun until about 5 years ago living on a rough side of tow and didnt have much money so the Hi point c9 went bang and hit a plate worked out well for my budget
Since then I bought a marlin 22 rifle and threw a scope on it for target shooting and just last month bought a S&W Bodyguard 38 for carry.
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

TunnelRat wrote:
NordicRX8 wrote: All the above firearms and my entire collection of arms up until July 2010 were lost in a terrible boating tragedy... I won't go into details as the memories are just too hard to bring back. Lets just say... if you need to find these treasures, check in the Atlantic ocean 2 miles out from the Connecticut coast line.
Sorry for your loss. Coincidentally, I had nearly the same problem, except mine were lost deep in Lake Erie. It's sad really... :cry:
Wow, me too! I was out on a small vessel looking for the wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald when a storm blew up. The old sailors say I'd have made Whitefish Bay if I 'd put fifteen more miles behind me!

And all that remains is the faces and the names
Of the Rugers and the Sigs and the Marlins.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

Sure, Evan. And how many times did the ship's bell ring?
About 386 times?! :shock:
Welcome! I'll bet that snubby .38 isn't the easiest thing in the world to shoot well, but if you master it, you'll be a step ahead of the game! :)
MikeB
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by MikeB »

The first firearm I owned (and still own) was/is a Marlin Model 60 from K-Mart. I got it for Christmas when I was about 11. It still has the date, my name and old address written in ink under the buttplate. This rifle will go to my oldest son when he gets old enough. My father was a police officer and range master for the department so we had various firearms around the house all the time. The first pistol I owned was a shiny nickel S&W 357Mag when I was 18, it was replaced with a matte stainless S&W Mod 29 44Mag. I bought my first Glock (the original Model 17) used from El Cajon Gun Exchange in California for $300. Have had all sorts of interesting firearms every since. Bought a "Volunteer Commando" once from a gun shop in San Diego, a bad tommy gun knock off that used grease gun mags..
"Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty."
sw38

Post by sw38 »

Sevens wrote:Sure, Evan. And how many times did the ship's bell ring?
About 386 times?! :shock:
Welcome! I'll bet that snubby .38 isn't the easiest thing in the world to shoot well, but if you master it, you'll be a step ahead of the game! :)
Its not bad, I am just becoming comfortable with it-- I have been to the range with it a few times, and there's a lot of trash talk about them on the web, but I don't have anything to compare it to so its a very comfortable fit for me for carry
Deezey

Post by Deezey »

The first firearm I purchased was a Ruger 10/22 magnum carbine. My first pistol was a Rough Rider 22lr/22mag. Later I purchase a Walmart special Marlin 22lr and a Savage 22lr. A few years ago I added a Ruger New Vaquero in 357. And my EDC which is a Ruger Sr9c. Still have all of them. The 10/22mag is still my favorite rifle, even after 12 years and thousands of rounds.
A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves. - Edward R. Murrow
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

:x :oops:
Not every "first" is a good "first" :cry: But I still have 'em.

First gun I ever damaged: Remington Auto-5 Sportsman, semi-auto 12 ga. This was a shotgun my Dad owned and when he passed away, it was going to be my brother's, but not quite yet. Mom kept it around while I was still in high school and still active at the club. I got an opportunity to go hunting for the first time from a friend of the family and this is one of the shotguns I had considered taking. (well, there were three to choose from) But it was to be waterfowl hunting and I needed to plug the magazine so I cut a wire from a coat hanger and dropped it in to the end of the magazine and then later, when I couldn't get it out, I explored the screws on the side of the shotgun and put a nice long scratch in the receiver. What an IDIOT! I ended up getting the wire coat hanger out by about 90 minutes (seemed like it) of rotating the shotgun back and forth and "hoping" it would line itself up in the hole and fall out, which it eventually did. And the shotgun I took with me hunting? The Ithaca Featherlight, Model 37. It kicked in a nasty kinda way.

First handgun of my own that I ever damaged: The S&W Model 17 I spoke of earlier... I loved this revolver seemingly more than life itself and after a long Saturday at the range, it came home quite filthy from powder residue to I took to cleaning it as I always did. I tried to be careful and not over-zealous, but I ended up rubbing a bit of the bluing right off a cylinder flute simply by using a patch with some Hoppe's #9 on it. Wore out a little spot, just from trying to rub it clean from powder fouling. When I noticed it, I almost shat myself. And I think it was that specific moment, that exact hour, minute and second of that day, month and year where I instantly became attracted to stainless steel handguns. To this day I'm somewhat suspect of gorgeous, deep blued finishes. I mean -- I love 'em, I'm just afraid to own them. I believe I will wear a spot of bluing away when I'm cleaning. :cry:

First handgun that I made a mark on my house with: Let me explain... NO, I did not shoot a hole in the ceiling. But after I took my concealed carry class but before I had my CHL, I was carrying around the house, trying to get used to it. I had bought a cheap Uncle Mike's should holster and in it I had my Taurus PT-99AF, fully loaded. I had been adjusting this cheap rig in front of the mirror in the bathroom and the adjustment was getting really annoying. I went to leave the bathroom and the loaded and heavy pistol swung forward in this cheap rig and dinged the hell out of the door frame. The pistol took no damage but the door frame has a perfect, and I mean perfect imprint of the lines in the rear of the grip from that loaded double stack 9mm. It's funny to me because I see this ding on the door frame daily. :lol:

First time I ever dropped a handgun: And only time, thank god! And better still, I did NOT try to catch it! I dropped my Ruger P95 when coming in to the house with an armload of crap and clothes and my work bag and the mail and the pistol in a holster, but the holster in my hand. Pure stupidity to even attempt to carry all of that and a loaded handgun, but I learned from it. No damage to the already ugly pistol. Big damage to my pride and a learning experience.
Shaolin_dragon

Post by Shaolin_dragon »

First gun I shot - a bolt action .22, while I was with the ATC (Air Training Corp) back in old Blighty.

First GP rifle was the L98A1 Cadet GP rifle in 5.56, again, while I was with the ATC. Single shot rifle, with a cocking lever on the right, which wasn't a problem for me, but those lefties who were shooting...they had a devil of a job trying to cock it, while keeping it on target downrange.

First gun owned - nothing until I moved here in 2005. After all, guns are evil, guns are bad...UK-wise anyway!! Then my first gun was a Model 67 S&W .38. She is now my safe queen. I take her out every now and then, and strap her on, then go for a walk with her. Just for old times sake!! She's a considerable bit bigger and heavier than my current EDC. She was my carry gun for the better part of a year, before transitioning to my current EDC.

First semi owned - my current EDC. A Sigma 40ve. Lovely bit of work there, and I dont care how much bashing the Sigmas get, I've run the better part of 600-700 rounds through her, and have yet to have any FTF's or FTE's.
I carry, because I care!
awaggoner

Post by awaggoner »

First gun I shot was a Red Ryder around the age of six or seven. Got that gun for Christmas and still have it today. This past Christmas, I shared that experience with my eight year old nephew. My wife and I went shopping for one and ended up bringing home two. He got one, I kept the other.

After the first BB gun, there were a few others to follow. The next Christmas I got a pump BB/Pellet gun with a scope, and the Christmas after that I got a CO2 pellet handgun that was semi-auto. Many dead cans, boxes, and starlings.

My first real gun I shot was my dads Nylon 22lr. Shot that during the summer and the next year for Christmas, I got my own 22. It is a Remington Viper and has just recently been retired to safe queen status. It will be my children's first gun someday.

My family always jokes that Christmas is not complete until someone opens a gun. This past year was the same and I received a 10/22 that is my new every day 22.

First shotgun I shot was my grandfathers Browning 12G. I'm not real sure on the model, but its the one that has the odd shaped receiver that kind of has a "hump" on it. To this day, that is by far my favorite shotgun to shoot. Every time I see one for sale I stop and look.

First handgun was my Dad's S&W 22 probably somewhere around 13-14 years old. Enjoyed shooting it but never really got into handguns till later in life. The summer between my Junior and Senior year of college, our fraternity house had a home invasion and that is when my interest in handguns took off. I had just turned 21, so my Dad and I went to a PRO gun show in Wilmington and I made my first purchase. It was a Taurus 92 9mm. At that point carrying concealed was still in the works, so it was a home defense gun. As soon as CCW passed, I was in the class and applying for my license.

Over the years I have bought/sold/traded many guns, but my favorite is still the 1911 platform. My gun fund is currently building towards a 4" model that will be a little easier to carry.
Don't question my right to own a gun, and I won't question your stupidity not to!