Chiappa Rhino Review

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Chiappa Rhino Review

Post by Morne »

So, today I picked up a Chiappa Rhino revolver.

I took it home and immediately put about 100 rounds of .38 Special (Ultramax 158-grain LSWC) and 50 rounds of .357 Magnum (S&B 158-grain FMJ) through it. My thoughts:

1 - The recoil with .38 Specials was very, very gentle. For an aluminum snubby, this thing was MUCH easier on my hands than my wife's S&W 642 (which I despise shooting).
2 - The recoil with .357 Magnum did not produce as much muzzle flip as I am used to, say with my trusty Taurus 617, but the HURT is still there that you expect in a lightweight snubby. Torque or no, that is a LOT of energy smashing back into your hands with very little mass to help soak it up. I probably could have fired another 50 rounds before being really tired of it, but you're not going to enjoy it. Is it better than shooting the S&W airweights? Yes, by a mile. Is it as nice as shooting a steel-framed conventional .357 with a 6" barrel? Heck no.
3 - The "external hammer" is not a hammer at all, it is a "cocking lever". When firing in double-action, the "cocking lever" does not move at all. Thus, you could shoot the Rhino from inside of a coat pocket (or purse) and not worry about anything snagging. If you do choose to "cock" it, the "cocking lever" returns to its normal position, but a little red flag pops up to the left of the rear sight to indicate "SA" status. This flag also bobs up and down during the DA sequence, which can be a tad distracting.
4 - The ejector rod is long enough to completely extract the rounds, unlike some wheelguns. That said, the star's pattern SUCKS. You cannot cup your weakhand to both cycle the rod and try to catch the brass without getting a casing stuck under the ejector. I must have done it 6 times, and I am quite adept at wheelgun manipulations.
5 - I used a HKS 10-A speedloader, but I noticed that the .357 Magnums didn't load just right (hint, hint, close but not exactly the right size dummy!). Reading other reviews on the internet it seems that the HKS Mk-3A is the correct size. Live and learn. At least none of the controls/grip is in the way when using the speedloader.
6 - The cylinder release is a bit odd. With Colts you pull back, with S&Ws you push forward and with Chiappa you "thumb it down" like you're turning off a safety. I personally think that the cylinder is a bit tight to swing out, but that might be because it is new.
7 - The trigger - well let me tell you it ain't no butter. The DA trigger pull is heavy, enough that my forearm was starting to burn a bit doing dryfire drills. On the plus side, it was fairly consistent so the muzzle didn't wander a lot. Also, you could stage it pretty easily. The SA trigger was very nice, as SA's usually are.
8 - The cylinder did not feel very tightly locked in to me. In fact, I could rotate the closed cylinder (backwards only) using my fingers! That's probably a design issue, but as long as it doesn't affect function I guess I won't get uptight about it.
9 - Accuracy overall was suprisingly good for a snubby. I shot it better than average, with the last 3 rounds of my first cylinder tight enough to be covered by my thumb (25-ish feet distance). I think the easy "staging" of the trigger helped a lot, and of course the reduced muzzle flip helped on double taps.

And now for the pics (as dirty, because I didn't want to waste daylight taking pictures):

Some very wise men I know have said they'll never buy the first run of anything. They'll wait for it to get lots of real world feedback and let the manufacturer fix the inevitable problems before they adopt it. I daresay the Rhino is in this category. There are numerous little things that need improved (the ejector star, the cylinder staying in place, DA trigger pull feel) before this could be considered "ready for the big time". I'm going to keep shooting it, of course, and might even be caught at an event or two with it just for fun. But I rather doubt that it will earn a place on my hip for concealed carry anytime soon.

I'm a revolver fan. I carry them exclusively. So I WANT to heartily endorse this new model of wheelgun. But frankly, I can't.
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
Imcrazy

Re: Chiappa Rhino Review

Post by Imcrazy »

TIs' a very pragmatic revolver in its design with the lower bore axis and all, and its not as ugly as I remembered it being in prototype stages. I'm not a wheelie gun man but thats a cool concept.
-Aaron
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Morne wrote:So, today I picked up a Chiappa Rhino revolver.

I took it home and immediately put about 100 rounds of .38 Special (Ultramax 158-grain LSWC) and 50 rounds of .357 Magnum (S&B 158-grain FMJ) through it. My thoughts:

7- The trigger - well let me tell you it ain't no butter. The DA trigger pull is heavy, enough that my forearm was starting to burn a bit doing dryfire drills. On the plus side, it was fairly consistent so the muzzle didn't wander a lot. Also, you could stage it pretty easily. The SA trigger was very nice, as SA's usually are.
The DA trigger as described would be enough to take this off my must-have list.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

This is a darn good review. Constructive, real-world and hands-on data. All of what you want to hear, none of what ya don't.

Much appreciated and I hope you'll call it back up and add to the same thread as you learn more here and there.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pleasantguywhopacks »

Not quite sure what your describing with the cylinder. Is the timing and lock up off?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA
Vex

Post by Vex »

Question, and I apologize if it's been answered already: After you cock the hammer and the cocking lever returns to normal position, how do you decock the gun safely?
  • “You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun than you can with just a kind word.” - Al Capone
  • “Victorious warriors win first, then go to war; defeated warriors go to war first, then seek to win.” - Sun-Tzu
charben
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by charben »

I like the looks of the longer barreled versions. Kinda menacing. Interesting that they are distributed by the same people as hi-point.
Chris

Crushing the First Amendment, one post at a time!

"If you walk out of your house carrying your gun (openly or otherwise) and you DO NOT fully understand the law, then you are NOT completely armed..."
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

pleasantguywhopacks wrote:Not quite sure what your describing with the cylinder. Is the timing and lock up off?
No. But when the cylinder is closed and a chamber is aligned with the barrel you can rotate it (backwards only) wth a bit of oomph to the previous chamber and so on. It "clicks" into place at each chamber, but the detent (or whatev it is called underneath the cylinder) just doesn't hold it quite well enough in one direction. I have never before had a revolver do that.
Vex wrote:Question, and I apologize if it's been answered already: After you cock the hammer and the cocking lever returns to normal position, how do you decock the gun safely?
Ya know, I THINK there are "decocking" instructions in the manual, but off the top of my head I don't know. I kind of like the cocking lever idea, because it gives you both the DA/SA option and the "fire from within concealment" option. The classic hammerless (like the ubiquitous S&W 642) cannot be cocked to SA condition. Especially when teaching newer shooters, I like being able to use SA mode.

To give a little more positive light to this gun, it really is a better choice for your typical "newer shooter" than the S&W 642 or Taurus Judge. The recoil, especially with .38s, is tame and the muzzle rise is noticably reduced. Especially for a "lightweight aluminum snubby" it is very well behaved.
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

docpadds

Post by docpadds »

I really want to get one into the store or onto the table for gun shows but i dont want to just have a $650 piece of eye candy, we have 1911s that take that role :)
https://t.me/pump_upp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

M- does the traditional sight picture have to be adjusted by the shooter to compensate for the round leaving the bottom, rather than the top, of the cylinder?
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

Tweed Ring wrote:M- does the traditional sight picture have to be adjusted by the shooter to compensate for the round leaving the bottom, rather than the top, of the cylinder?
Nope.
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

Morne wrote:
Vex wrote:Question, and I apologize if it's been answered already: After you cock the hammer and the cocking lever returns to normal position, how do you decock the gun safely?
Ya know, I THINK there are "decocking" instructions in the manual, but off the top of my head I don't know. I kind of like the cocking lever idea, because it gives you both the DA/SA option and the "fire from within concealment" option. The classic hammerless (like the ubiquitous S&W 642) cannot be cocked to SA condition. Especially when teaching newer shooters, I like being able to use SA mode.
Grant Cunningham wrote: When the Rhino is cocked, the external hammer is held in the forward position under spring pressure. To decock the gun, it is pulled back and held while the trigger is pulled. Then the user allows the external hammer to slowly and carefully return to the rest position.
A really in depth review was done by Grant Cunningham on the Rhino, with lots of good pictures of the innards of the rhino and how the thing works.
http://www.grantcunningham.com/blog_fil ... olver.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Grant was interviewed about the Rhino on the ProArms podcast. An Interesting listen if you have the time.
http://proarmspodcast.com/2010/11/18/063-rhino-why-yes/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
shaner

Post by shaner »

nice review man , but she sure is ugly
Whirlwind06
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Whirlwind06 »

What was the price out the door? If you don't mind me asking
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

Interesting note on the trigger pull.
RHINO PERFORMANCE KITS

A revolver bred for competition! The Rhino Revolver’s unique combination of ergonomic design and physical characteristics will make it a natural born revolver for competitive shooting. Chiappa has developed a series of competitive enhancement kits to meet the specific needs of competitive shooting sports which will increase the Rhino’s performance to the greatest degree. Both double action pull and single action release will be greatly enhanced by these performance kits. Please note, that due to the lighter pull obtained, some of these kits may not be suitable for defensive purposes and should not be utilized in a “Service” revolver. Every Rhino will be manufactured with a standard “Fire Control” set, however you will have the option for the following performance “Fire Control” sets:

Stage 1: While maintaining reliability for a “Service Revolver”, Stage 1 Fire Control reduces both double action trigger pull and SA release from the standard model bringing the DA pull to approximately 8-10 Lb, with a very smooth DA cycle.

Stage 2: Perfect for combat / tactical competition, Stage 2 Fire Control kit reduces the DA trigger pull is reduced and will allow speed on trigger release. DA Trigger pull is reduced to 7-8 pounds delivering a very soft but reliable DA trigger pull with reliable ignition* (this set must be used with soft primers to insure reliability)

Stage 3: For speed events and precision shooting, the Stage 3 fire control kit is the perfect choice! Stage 3 reduces the double action pull to a mere 6-7 pounds, providing a very smooth and lightning quick trigger return. (This set must be used with soft primers to insure reliability)

Only authorized service centers can perform these modifications, because they will have necessary tools and original components for replacement.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson