How minds get changed

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

CurtInOhio

How minds get changed

Post by CurtInOhio »

My wife took the CCW class with me and got her CCW, but had no intention of carrying. Everything going on in NO this week got her to rethink that, it seems. We went shopping today for a .380 for her, and we're going to find a Sig p232 for her to try out. She really likes the Walther p22, but doesn't want something that's just for target shooting anymore. She tried out several guns, and kept wishing they all fit like the p22... then tried the sig and really liked it.

On top of that, we're now getting a 20 gauge Beretta autoloader and a CZ O/U 12 gauge. While at the gun shop, I was also talked out of Federal Hydra Shok, and got Gold Dots instead.. and will be trying out 9mm Doubletap ammo very shortly (have to get it online, it looks like).

The whole CCW thing is an insurance policy... why not take it seriously and make sure I have enough ammo and the right weapons in case something really does happen that's more than just a single person confrontation.
Curt M
AmericanGunner

Post by AmericanGunner »

I can relate to your situation, before all the nonsense in LA started I was prepared to sell a few safe queens after watching and reading about all the evil deeds going on in louisiana I decided to keep them and make a purchase of a M4 and a 12 gauge not to mention I have begun stock piling ammo and food.
Mad Duck

Post by Mad Duck »

Curt, in the long run, she might be happier with a 9mm, rather than a .380. I find almost every .380 is more uncomfortable to fire than a 9mm,the smaller cartridge is more twitchy & seems to bite the web of my hand more. Lady D has the Bersa, but she really says the Sig 226 is more comfortable to fire.
If your Lady P would like to test shoot some 9's & the .380 you are more than welcome to come over for some rangetime, just give me a call, or email me.
CurtInOhio

Post by CurtInOhio »

MD, thanks so much for the offer, and I will take you up on it! Let me talk to her, and we'll figure out a time that's good and give you a yell to see if it matches a good time for you, too! I've thought a 9 in the right frame would work for her, too, but she doesn't like my polymer because of the recoil... something like an aluminum alloy frame might be the right thing for her.

I really appreciate the offer... I'd be more comfortable out there than at Target World!
Curt M
gd9704

Post by gd9704 »

Yep, after watching the lawless actions of street thugs this week in the news, my wife turned to me and said, "I'm really glad you keep some cash and all your guns and ammo in the safe. I feel safe and protected with those things readily available."

I couldn't agree more. While every one here appreciates the security of available firearms, I think that the "emergency cash" is just as important. Lot's of the good people that got caught up in that awful situation in the Gulf Region were stuck there because they had no money to get out.

I understand that many of the affected folks down there are poor. But I think that EVERYONE (poor or not) should have at least a few hundred bucks stashed away for emergency purposes.....
Linda

Post by Linda »

Curt, have her try a Colt .45 Defender. Aluminium alloy, and short enough to stick in her pocket! At least you'll know she's carrying enough power.
"Women must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself."
Susan B. Anthony~July 1871
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

Linda wrote:Curt, have her try a Colt .45 Defender. Aluminium alloy, and short enough to stick in her pocket! At least you'll know she's carrying enough power.
Woooo Hooooo......pistol packin' mamma!!!
Linda

Post by Linda »

Petrofergov wrote:
Linda wrote:Curt, have her try a Colt .45 Defender. Aluminium alloy, and short enough to stick in her pocket! At least you'll know she's carrying enough power.
Yeah Baby! And damn proud of it!!! :D

I've actually found that since I posted this, that a Defender is stainless steel and weighs all of 22 ounces! I was compelled to do research! :lol: A bit of a pricey gun, but it sure is a pretty little thing. Had it since about the day after the state finally passed HB12 last year!!!
"Women must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself."
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

Linda wrote:
Petrofergov wrote:
Yeah Baby! And damn proud of it!!! :D

I've actually found that since I posted this, that a Defender is stainless steel and weighs all of 22 ounces! I was compelled to do research! :lol: A bit of a pricey gun, but it sure is a pretty little thing. Had it since about the day after the state finally passed HB12 last year!!!
My dear wifeypoo is a lib and she doesn't even know it....I love her just the same, but it IS a distraction.

I should hook you two up and you can convince her that ARMED is better.

To her credit....when I can get her to shoot...she does fairly well with the subcompact XD9 I got her for my birthday... :P

I want her to carry, though....and I'm chippin' at the block but it's a big job.
Linda

Post by Linda »

Petrofergov wrote: My dear wifeypoo is a lib and she doesn't even know it....I love her just the same, but it IS a distraction.

I should hook you two up and you can convince her that ARMED is better.

To her credit....when I can get her to shoot...she does fairly well with the subcompact XD9 I got her for my birthday... :P

I want her to carry, though....and I'm chippin' at the block but it's a big job.
You are too funny Gov! Does your wife have any idea you're calling her such vulgar names, "a Lib"???? Bite your tongue! Will she be voting for the other guy, while you're voting for Petro?

Armed is definitely better, but it can't be forced upon someone. If and when she's ready, she'll do it. If I wasn't in the occupation I am, being a Realtor, I don't know if I'd jumped on the bandwagon like I did. But, given the places I have to go sometimes, I'm going to try to even my playing field. Although, I carry must all the time, not just when I'm working. I feel naked if I don't have it with me when I leave the house. I feel MUCH more secure when I'm out shopping or running errands now than I ever did in my life before.

If your wife would want to talk to me sometime about it, I'd certainly be more than willing to chat with her. If I recall...,you're from Nerk, O-hi? Did she take the CCW classes?

Did she appreciate the weapon you got her for your birthday? :lol: Bet she just loves it!!!
CurtInOhio

Post by CurtInOhio »

My wife finally decided to get a gun, but I was explicitly told that it would NOT be given to her as a gift... that's for jewelry and stuff like that, not firepower... I told her she can get me gun stuff for gifts, though.
Curt M
Linda

Post by Linda »

CurtInOhio wrote:My wife finally decided to get a gun, but I was explicitly told that it would NOT be given to her as a gift... that's for jewelry and stuff like that, not firepower... I told her she can get me gun stuff for gifts, though.
You just wait 'til she starts getting into all of this....,she'll be putting accessories on her Christmas list!!! There's those great leather purses, fanny packs, holster this, holster that, Jack butt shoulder harnesses, Uncle Mike always has gifts to give, and then you know Curt...,she's going to need a whole new wardrobe to dress around her gun for every season. Oh, and then she'll be joining OFCC and be needing some shirts and jackets sporting the OFCC logo, and don't forget an endless supply of ammo! And then, she'll need a years worth of membership to an indoor range.....,

And you guys want your wives to get into all this...., :roll:

By the way Curt, when her next birthday comes around, she'll have been out shopping around for a new gun that you can get her!
CurtInOhio

Post by CurtInOhio »

No, the gun thing will be a necessity, which precludes being used for presents... and the accessories will fall into the same category... unfortunately, she likes David Yurman jewelry for gifts!

And the OFCC logo stuff.... I don't have any, and don't have stickers on my car for that or NRA or anything like that... I guess I'm just of the opinion that I don't want to advertise the concealed carry part to anyone looking at my car or person. I don't know if it's just silly.. but how many of you wear shirts with CC or gun type logos, or have stickers on your car windows?
Curt M
BEAR!

Stickers

Post by BEAR! »

I have a bumper sticker that I've left on since the election, "If Kerry is the answer, it must have been a stupid question". :lol: Some people don't care for it. :roll:
NRA Endowment Member
OFCC Member

"Life is tough, its even tougher when you're stupid"- John Wayne

http://theoldtimeway.blogspot.com/