Cleaing My XD9

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

EE
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Cleaing My XD9

Post by EE »

I use a BoreSnake and a reputable spray in cleaner to clean my XD9. I was once told that carburetor cleaner works very well for cleaning a pistol. Has anyone heard pros and/or cons on this? How about dipping the pistol parts in carburetor cleaner?

EE
Member: OFCC, NRA (lifetime), USCCA, JPFO
"The philosophy of gun control: Teenagers are roaring through town at 90MPH, where the speed limit is 25. Your solution is to lower the speed limit to 20."
- Sam Cohen (inventor of the neutron bomb)
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Re: Cleaing My XD9

Post by Petrovich »

EE wrote:I use a BoreSnake and a reputable spray in cleaner to clean my XD9. I was once told that carburetor cleaner works very well for cleaning a pistol. Has anyone heard pros and/or cons on this? How about dipping the pistol parts in carburetor cleaner?

EE
No need to go to all that trouble.

Carb cleaner would work, but remember it's gonna strip the metal of oil. You'll have to re-oil everything.

Strip the pistol and use a toothbrush dipped in solvent to scrub the bad areas such as the bolt face, extractor and slide.

Just get a good gun cleaning solvent in a spray can. I say that because if I suggest WD-40 I'll have a bunch of purists giving me dickens. :roll:

Spray the frame and slide with the solvent and then use compressed air to blow out all the gunk. It gets 'em squeaky clean and you leave behind a light coating of oil.

Clean the barrel separately, of course.

This technique is particularly useful when cleaning the frame. That's a lot of intricate stuff in there and it's nearly impossible to clean it properly by scrubbing and rubbing.

Once in a blue moon it's necessary to clean the trigger group of a S&W revolver..... :shock: The easiest way to do that is to remove the side plate and hose it out good with solvent, then blow it out with compressed air. I usually put my finger on the assembly and spray around my finger...a couple of those parts are just laying in there so you gotta be real careful.

I get a kick when people still refer to revolvers as being more 'reliable' that autos.....man, they ain't looked under the hood of a double action revolver.
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

EE wrote:I was once told that carburetor cleaner works very well for cleaning a pistol.
I wuz gonna use carburetor cleaner on my M911, but I couldn't find the carburetor... :?

Maybe it's fuel injected... 8)
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
rhwiley

Post by rhwiley »

EE wrote:I use a BoreSnake and a reputable spray in cleaner to clean my XD9. I was once told that carburetor cleaner works very well for cleaning a pistol. Has anyone heard pros and/or cons on this? How about dipping the pistol parts in carburetor cleaner?

EE
Carburetor cleaner works very well, and so does brake cleaner - but I cannot over emphasize (although someone else has already said it once) that this does strip the oil protection from the metal.

There are several of us in the military that have used this method in the past with very good results, but we always have used some form of oil (usually CLP) to recoat the parts.

On one particular occasion (about 4 years ago), we had a new supply sergeant that had all the M-16's, M-60's and M-9's cleaned using carburetor cleaner. Within about 2 months, all firearms in the vault showed varying degrees of rust (and the vault is dehumidified).

Personally, I'd only recommend using carb or brake cleaner if you've been shooting on the range in excessive amounts, and have some really stubborn carbon deposits. Just don't forget to recoat everything, and wipe it down afterward.
Mad Duck

Post by Mad Duck »

The real thing you have to watch is NOT to use anything with ammonia, long term it can affect the polymer.
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

Mad Duck wrote:The real thing you have to watch is NOT to use anything with ammonia, long term it can affect the polymer.
Good point!!!

Ammonia is the best cleaner for corrosive ammo...so it's not uncommon to find it in older formulations.

I like the ammonia cleaners 'cause they really rip the crud.

In fact, when at the range...carry a bottle of windex. After you shoot corrosive ammo through that old turk...do it a favor and run a coupla patches down the bore with windex.
swingset

Post by swingset »

WD-40 in the innards, compressed air to blow the crap out, solvent and a brush to the barrel, wipe it down with a light lube, gun oil on the rails and put it back together. Whala.

BTW, brake cleaner CAN whiten or discolor polymer. I use it on metal, but try to miss the plastic/paint/wood on guns.
Do not follow me, I may not lead. Do not lead me, I may not follow. Come to think of it, just stay the hell away from me.
EE
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Cleaning My XD9

Post by EE »

Thanks to all for your advice! I will not use carburetor cleaner or ammonia-based cleaners since the XD9 is not all metal. I have a pretty good array of cleaners and lubricants all specifically designed for guns; I will continue using these. I do use a toothbrush in addition to the BoreSnake and a soft rag.

I am really enjoying these forums. There is much to learn from others and the contributors are diverse and interesting. A week or so ago I joined Ohioans for Concealed Carry. I got my "No guns-No $" cards that I ordered when I joined, but no membership card. I am not really concerned about the card, though, since I can't think of when I would need it.

Best Regards,

EE
"The philosophy of gun control: Teenagers are roaring through town at 90MPH, where the speed limit is 25. Your solution is to lower the speed limit to 20."
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Re: Cleaning My XD9

Post by TunnelRat »

EE wrote:I got my "No guns-No $" cards that I ordered when I joined, but no membership card. I am not really concerned about the card, though, since I can't think of when I would need it.
You might want to show it to Officer Friendly if you ever get stopped in Columbus... :?
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
EE
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by EE »

Well it is not Officer Friendly who concerns me, it is Officer Unfriendly. If I show him my membership card, he will not be favorably impressed. After all, that bunch of rabble rousers (Ohioans for Concealed Carry) is trying to make a law he doesn't like even less likeable to him.

OK, so I deliberately ignored the sarcasm. I have never been to Toledo and rarely visit Columbus so I may never meet Officer Friendly. If I do should I mention your name or would that get me in deeper trouble?

EE