Squib round in my carry ammo

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

mattswabb

Squib round in my carry ammo

Post by mattswabb »

Went to the range today. I pulled out my carry weapon and started shooting. On the 3rd round it was very quiet. Turned out the bullet got stuck 3/4 way down the barrel. I had silver bear 145 grain hollow point 9mm in my gun. Does this happen often? I've put a 1000+ rounds thru this gun and no problem ever till today.

This could have easily been my 1st round in my magazine and this could have happened when I needed it to defend myself. So now I'm looking for a new reliable carry ammo. Any suggestions?

matt
AmericanGunner

Post by AmericanGunner »

What gun did this happen in ?
mattswabb

Post by mattswabb »

Smith & wesson sigma 9mm.
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

I'd be sorely tempted to switch brands....

I doubt if it's the gun's fault, but that's possible.

A local gunsmith did some work for me on a Colt Combat Commander, and some crud got into the firing pin tube. That caused the pin to hang up while in use, which let the firing pin stop fall out of the gun. Easy to fix, but not quick....

However, since the bullet got halfway up the barrel, I doubt if there are any possible problems that would be caused by the gun. (Or at least not many....)

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
jgarvas
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Re: Squib round in my carry ammo

Post by jgarvas »

mattswabb wrote:Went to the range today. I pulled out my carry weapon and started shooting. On the 3rd round it was very quiet. Turned out the bullet got stuck 3/4 way down the barrel. I had silver bear 145 grain hollow point 9mm in my gun. Does this happen often? I've put a 1000+ rounds thru this gun and no problem ever till today.

This could have easily been my 1st round in my magazine and this could have happened when I needed it to defend myself. So now I'm looking for a new reliable carry ammo. Any suggestions?

matt
Squid loads are supposed to be once in a huge number (million?), but you're the second one I've heard of in the past five months. The difference is the person I heard of last time was not using carry ammunition.

I would definately contact the manufacture and let them know. At the least you'll get another box of free ammo, but I would understand the hesitation to ever put that back in a gun.

This is why I make a habit out of practicing tap 'n rack drills when I get a chance to shoot. Take a few magazines and have a friend load some solid plastic (orange) dummy loads randomly. Just one in each magazine so its not obvious. When you pull the trigger and nothing happens, tap the magazine and rack the slide until you see it go back into battery.

If you cut one in half you might be able to get it to stove pipe (always fun to clear in a hurry).

If it doesn't make you freak out, put a spent casing in the magazine between a few rounds. Those will typically stove pipe on you, and if you put two of them in there side by side you can get a really nasty jam that almost forces you to drop the magazine to clear it.

(I do this with my non-carry gun since they're the same frame). Just keep in mind if you do anything like this you're doing it at your own risk -- especially if you're using real ammunition and not dummy rounds.

You can't prevent ammunition failure. You can only prepare for it.

-jeff
Jeff Garvas, President
Ohioans For Concealed Carry

Contrary to a popular belief when I brag about OFCC accomplishments I'm not looking for your thank you or personal recognition. I'd much prefer you send me an email telling me when you are going to get involved in doing what I've been doing since 1999. We are only as effective as we make ourselves. We need the next generation of OFCC to step to the plate.

Is that you?

To Contact Me: Use This Form and pick my name.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Id stay away from that ammo from now on if I were you.
Life is precious, Got Sig?
Sig P250 Compact .40s&w
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Jeff:

I don't think I'd touch that brand again....

But the real problem with squibs v.s. about any other failure mode, is that the ball may be somewhere in the barrel.

The next shot may make an unholy mess out of things.

(Guess it might scare off the BG's, but....)

Under the circumstances, if you think you've got a squib, it might be time to reach for that backup.

No backup? Right, we're in OH....

Regards,
Stu.

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
jgarvas
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by jgarvas »

SMMAssociates wrote:Jeff:

I don't think I'd touch that brand again....

But the real problem with squibs v.s. about any other failure mode, is that the ball may be somewhere in the barrel.

The next shot may make an unholy mess out of things.
really good point. I was thinking of it from the stand point that sometimes a squib load causes the next round to not load properly, but you're right, you can shoot into a jammed round.

In the heat of the moment you're not going to know if it fell out or got jammed. The one I saw (cable bought the barrel and uses it to teach what a Squib load is) was jammed into the barrel pretty good.
SMMAssociates wrote: (Guess it might scare off the BG's, but....)

Under the circumstances, if you think you've got a squib, it might be time to reach for that backup.

No backup? Right, we're in OH....
Heh. Or help them if it blinds/incapacitates you. I think if you're in a life or death situation chances are you might realize you had a squib load AFTER you shoot the following round, if at all.

I figure if I am ever forced to draw my firearm it will be within a close enough distance that a malfunction like that would hurt both of us. If you're already using a firearm to fend off a threat and it jams, what are you going to do, surrender? I'll probably take my chances pulling that trigger again, especially if they're advancing. If they have a gun, going for a knife would make you the guy that brought a knife to a gun fight.

A magazine article is in this topic somewhere :-)

I disagree with the conclusion that Ohio law prohibits multiple firearms. It simply doesn't clearly differentiate between your right to be in possession of a specific quantity (IANAL). I've transported multiple loaded firearms and been stopped by a cop who didn't seem to have a problem with it.
Jeff Garvas, President
Ohioans For Concealed Carry

Contrary to a popular belief when I brag about OFCC accomplishments I'm not looking for your thank you or personal recognition. I'd much prefer you send me an email telling me when you are going to get involved in doing what I've been doing since 1999. We are only as effective as we make ourselves. We need the next generation of OFCC to step to the plate.

Is that you?

To Contact Me: Use This Form and pick my name.
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Jeff:
A magazine article is in this topic somewhere

Go for it....

I've never had a squib load, but I had some super-hot .357's a friend loaded up about 30 years ago (I think I still may have a couple) that were on the ragged edge of sanity for the gun I had. If you mixed factory .357's with these, you would swear you'd had a squib. BANG, BANG, poof....
I disagree with the conclusion that Ohio law prohibits multiple firearms. It simply doesn't clearly differentiate between your right to be in possession of a specific quantity (IANAL). I've transported multiple loaded firearms and been stopped by a cop who didn't seem to have a problem with it.
Disagree with me, will you! :D

Seriously, I was taking a jab at the vehicular carry rules.

I agree - there's no quantity rule, but the vehicular carry rules make carrying more than one a little itchy.
Stu.

יזכר לא עד פעם
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

SMMAssociates wrote:I agree - there's no quantity rule, but the vehicular carry rules make carrying more than one a little itchy.
You just need a bigger glove compartment, or a bigger locking case (and a bigger bottle of aspirin)... :?
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
Mad Duck

Post by Mad Duck »

I'd bet it was the ammo, I have seen first hand the poor quality control the russians have on ammo.
In both wolf & silver bear
I know some people swear by it, & claim they have no problems, but it seems to be inconsitant in loading.
I had one time "locked up" an XD on a fired case of silver bear, the round fired, but the slide was locked tight to point we put the gun in a vise, & had to tap the slide back with a hammer.
I tell everyone when you are carrying, what are you betting on?, your life!, buy the best.
Safety Guy

Post by Safety Guy »

Here's another vote for changing your ammo. I might run the Russian stuff in an AK or SKS for practice, but never for "duty" or in something I really value (note: I don't own an AK or SKS).

I use Federal 9BPs in my 9mms. It's an old load, but reliable, not too expensive, and standard pressure so I don't beat up my BHP. The Glock 19 gets the same ammo by default. Training ammo has been WW white box ball.

I think the cheapest I'd go in 9mm would be the WW white box 115 JHPs for carry ammo. I used a few of those at TDI and they worked well.

Don't bet your life on the cheapest stuff Matt! Wolf doesn't have that great of a reputation. John Farnam often puts it down from all the problems that stuff has caused in his training classes.

(BTW, I ran Magtech .30 Carbine ball ammo in Farnam's "Urban Rifle/Shotgun" course and was pleased with the performance. I used PMC .30-06 at Gunsite's 270 course back in '92. Those two manufacturers are as "cheap" as I'll go.)

Karl
I WANT VERMONT! (OR "ALASKA")
That's FIRST AMENDMENT CRUSADER PIGLET!
BKVic

Post by BKVic »

While I shoot a lot of Wolf in my ARs and have never had a problem with it there is NO WAY I would EVER use the cheap Russian stuff for anything other then range ammo. Do your self a favor and step up to some quility ammo from Winchester, Remington or Speer.

BKVic
You can take the Mountaineer out of the mountains but you cant take the mountains out of the Mountaineer!! GO WVU!!!
THE BIG HAMMER

Post by THE BIG HAMMER »

mattswabb,
I bought 1000 rounds of that garbage ammo a few years ago to save a few bucks and I had nothing but problems with it. It would jam my S & W 5906 and I could't hit a bull in the butt with it. I also had the same problems in my Glock 19. Shot it up, and changed to a name brand and now I have no problems. Sometimes you have to learn things the hard way.
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
OFCC MEMBER, NWTF MEMBER,
PHEASANTS FOREVER MEMBER
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Re: Squib round in my carry ammo

Post by Petrovich »

mattswabb wrote:Went to the range today. I pulled out my carry weapon and started shooting. On the 3rd round it was very quiet. Turned out the bullet got stuck 3/4 way down the barrel. I had silver bear 145 grain hollow point 9mm in my gun. Does this happen often? I've put a 1000+ rounds thru this gun and no problem ever till today.

matt
I've had exceptionally good results with silver bear ammo and I've shot 9x18 (makarov) and .223.

The .223 is remarkably accurate...as good as my hand loads.

I've not had any squibs.
Ring wrote:
silver bear
as in the cheap butt russian crap?

stay the F away from that junk...
Not so fast. Where's your data?

I'm getting sub moa groups out of silver bear .223 55gr ball.

I clocked some silver bear 9x18 and it's pushing a 115gr hollow point at 985fps. No misfeeds or misfires either in my first 1/2 case. I liked it so well I bought another case.

Other than being a bit more dirty; I got no complaints with silver bear.
Safety Guy wrote: I would rather defend my own handloads in court than admit I didn't know exactly where my ammo came from.
I stick with conventional wisdom and keep factory ammo in my defense gun.

However, when I can load a box of 9x19 for $2.50 a box (I cast my own bullets) I can practice a LOT more than if I'm paying 120 bucks a case for factory ammo.

Not to mention sitting at the reloading bench is a great way to unwind.
Last edited by Petrovich on Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.