Which is the best caliber for concealed carry?

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

What is the best caliber for concealed carry?

Poll ended at Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:41 am

9mm
34%
40S&W
21%
45ACP (Including the 45 GAP)
22%
38 Special
9%
357 Magnum (Including the 357 Sig)
7%
Other
7%

Total votes: 68

jhfenton

Re: How can the 10mm Auto not be on that list?

Post by jhfenton »

Brian_Horton wrote:The 10mm rocks!
It does indeed. (But I'm not sure I'd want to carry that 10mm GLOCK brick of yours around all day. I'll stick to my somewhat slimmer .40S&W GLOCK brick.)

John
Brian_Horton

Post by Brian_Horton »

jhfenton wrote:
Brian_Horton wrote:The 10mm rocks!
It does indeed. (But I'm not sure I'd want to carry that 10mm GLOCK brick of yours around all day. I'll stick to my somewhat slimmer .40S&W GLOCK brick.)

John
John,

Three weeks ago I bought a SS 10mm Dan Wesson 1911 Classic Commander Bobtail. It is much easier to carry and conceal than the Glock 20 and I still have 10 rounds of hard hitting Double Tap 10mm.
Captain Bob

Best caliber for carry

Post by Captain Bob »

I have to agree with the statement that two hits with a .22 are better than a miss with a .44 mag. However, most folks seem to go to the extreme with ammo quantity. I personally know of a fellow that carries a 9mm with a magazine capacity of 17 rounds and TWO spare full magazines. Thats 51 rounds of ammo! Statistics show that the average number of rounds expended in a defensive shoot are 1.8 (less than 2)! Why not carry a smaller comfortable with a single-stack magazine holding 6 or 7 rounds that's easily concealable instead of a big gun with a huge double-stack grip?
I have an STI LS-40 (.40 S&W) that is relatively small and light but has more than enough firepower, if ever needed. I believe that a trade-off of larger caliber with less capacity is the way to go.
Mark

Re: Couldn't select a caliber from that list

Post by Mark »

I couldn't enter a vote in good conscience. The choice for .45 caliber includes the new and still questionable .45GAP. Until there is a LOT more information available about the new shorty round, I am not gonna state an opinion.
I
The GAP has the same ballistics as the 45ACP(not +p). If you like a standard pressure 45ACP, the GAP is the same thing.

As for the 10mm fans...isn't 10mm about a dead cartridge? I don't see it ever catching on as long as it's so expensive.

Myself, I'm happy with my little 9mm. Cheap to practice with and very effective with the right ammo.

http://www.mullinsweb.net/corbon.htm
Harlie

Caliber questions are

Post by Harlie »

Like breakfast cereal questions. Every one has a favorite, and some wants to knock the other persons choice. What you have faith in, can carry well, shoot very well and believe in, is what works for you. When it's all said, done, it's shot placement that will win the day.
All our lifes choices are subject to scrutiny and controversay. .45 Gap may or may not be around in a few years, who knows. But SA down sized a 1911 frame to fit it? Why didn't they do this for a 9MM a long time ago?? Wouldn't it make a really nice carry package, whole 1911 frame and slide down sized to accomadate 9MM, similar to a LLama 380 in size.
I'll stick with a .45 ACP in a Sc, till something better appears..
Keep a keen mind, eye and edge.
INFIDEL, armed, angry and unapolegetic
Ole man from Thunder Mtn
Politicians & diapers should be changed often, both for the same reason
Mark

Re: Caliber questions are

Post by Mark »

Harlie wrote:Like breakfast cereal questions. Every one has a favorite, and some wants to knock the other persons choice.

Peanutbutter Captain Crunch is the best breakfast cereal and all others are sub-par. I started this discussion kind of as a joke. Notice in the first post I said sorry. No gun related bulletin board could would be complete without a gun caliber debate.

Next discussion: 1911 versus GLOCK. The choice between a pretty gun that jams a lot versus an ugly gun that shoots everytime.
the right wing zealot

Re: caliber for carry

Post by the right wing zealot »

I agree...ANY caliber beats nothing. I like 45 ACP. It leaves zero doubt, BUT I actually carry an SP101 snubby in 38 special most of the time due to the ease of how it is concealed in my circumstances.

As for 1911 vs. Glock...I was a huge Glock fan, but have become a 1911 convert within the last 6 to 8 months. I now prefer the 1911 for recreational use and hope that I never have to know how it is in any other capacity.
'Gun control' is being able to put two bullets through the same hole.
ama168

Post by ama168 »

I would have to go with the .40S&W Just think it is the best all around :twisted:
9by18

Post by 9by18 »

<---------- w00t
pachovia

Post by pachovia »

.40 S&W in my Kahr K40
Glock Rock

Post by Glock Rock »

Mark wrote: Next discussion: 1911 versus GLOCK. The choice between a pretty gun that jams a lot versus an ugly gun that shoots everytime.
Good gosh man I HOPE you are joking! :mrgreen:

Do you really think the 1911's are ugly :?:
jhfenton

Post by jhfenton »

Brian_Horton wrote:Three weeks ago I bought a SS 10mm Dan Wesson 1911 Classic Commander Bobtail. It is much easier to carry and conceal than the Glock 20 and I still have 10 rounds of hard hitting Double Tap 10mm.
Nice weapon! I'll have to get me one of those some day.

John
rouger10

Post by rouger10 »

Glock Rock wrote:
Mark wrote: Next discussion: 1911 versus GLOCK. The choice between a pretty gun that jams a lot versus an ugly gun that shoots everytime.
Good gosh man I HOPE you are joking! :mrgreen:

Do you really think the 1911's are ugly :?:
Glock Rock,
NICE ........

Roger
gd9704

Post by gd9704 »

I've gotta agree with Cap'n Bob that it probably isn't necessary to carry a whole box of ammo with you.
This reminds me--I just watched Die Hard for the 90th time...Good thing Bruce Willis had several hundred rounds on hand for his Beretta 92!! :wink:
Brian_Horton

Post by Brian_Horton »

jhfenton wrote:
Brian_Horton wrote:Three weeks ago I bought a SS 10mm Dan Wesson 1911 Classic Commander Bobtail. It is much easier to carry and conceal than the Glock 20 and I still have 10 rounds of hard hitting Double Tap 10mm.
Nice weapon! I'll have to get me one of those some day.

John
You need to go shooting with me again so you can try it out. It really is one sweet pistol.