Anybody ever do a trigger job on an AR???

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

Buckshot wrote:P4G,

The ATF doesn't have to be able to tell them apart.

They just have to walk in with their experts and testify to the jury that you were trying to make a full auto firearm.

These are the same guys that will duct tape, glue and wire together a receiver off of a full auto firearm demilled to their specifications and bust you for asselbling an illegal machine gun if they can get 1 round to fire when fired remotely with them under cover. Even if the "firearm" totally and destructively dis-assembles itself at the first shot!

Remember these are also the people that invented constructive possession! Own an AR15 and 1 part of the fire control system that is specific to an M16 and you are guilty of "making a machine gun"!

You don't have to make any mods to your AR15. You don't even have to try to assemble the prohibited part. Just having a prohibited part and an AR15 in your possession at the same time means you are guilty of attempting to construct a machine gun!

These are the same people that treated the wife of a part time police officein Bucyrus, Ohio so roughly while busting him for machine guns that were perfectly legal for him to own becasue he had all the paper for them FROM the BATF that they made his wife mis-carry and loose a chile.

It would take a little research, but if you want deatils of this I can dig them out in a few days. It was a famous case and a Federal judge in Cleveland ordered the return of ALL of his firearms including the machine guns and they got a MAJOR settlement for the lost baby.

Buckshot
No need to research the details for me. I believe every word you said. Sheesh, one has to look no further than ruby ridge and waco to realize the atf has a habit of going off half cocked.
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Re: Anybody ever do a trigger job on an AR???

Post by Petrovich »

Rob-Black99RT wrote:
Petrofergov wrote: Then I saw a post....maybe on here...that linked to a website that showed a procedure where you cut off part of the hammer spring and bend the trigger spring. I didn't want to try that.
15-minute trigger job... cut the right side spring leg on the hammer spring and bend the trigger spring legs up... doing this greatly reduces the trigger pull, but it also lessens the force being enacted on the hammer since you only have one leg of the spring (left) acting on the hammer. When I did this I was getting lots of light strikes, and that's not good in a rifle which could be used for defensive purposes... What I did was lighten up the hammer... a LOT... I cut the tail of the hammer off as seen in these pics: http://www.ps127.com/Bushmaster/hammer/index.html

This got the hammer speed back up and eliminated the light strikes... Now, I have around a 5# trigger (it feels around the same as my G30's which has a 5 lb connector), have no problems with light strikes, and since I did this about 8 months ago (pics above were taken long after I did it) I have had no misfires due to light strikes... the only bad round I've had since then was one round of Poly Wolf that wouldn't go off no matter how many times I hit it... I've shot XM193, Wolf Poly and the old laquer stuff, and Winchester 45 grain HP ammo through it without a hitch.

I also used white rouge buffing compound and an 8" buffer to polish up all mating surfaces to as close as I could get to a mirror. It takes some time, sure, but the results are very nice. I'm sure a Jewell trigger would be nicer in that it'd be adjustable and such, but I've got no real costs in this and I'm plenty satisfied with it.
I may still try that. What the heck, if I mess it up all I gotta do is buy more springs.
Rob-Black99RT

Re: Anybody ever do a trigger job on an AR???

Post by Rob-Black99RT »

Petrofergov wrote: I may still try that. What the heck, if I mess it up all I gotta do is buy more springs.
Be careful when grinding the hammer as it's easy (on an 8" wheel anyway) to get carried away when grinding off the tail and nick the area where the sear catches... Do that, and you have to chuck the hammer in the trash because the sear won't catch anymore. I use a pair of vice grips (set as tight as I can get them) to hold onto the hammer while grinding it. Out of 5 or 6 I've done I only screwed up one of the earlier ones when I let it get away from me, so be careful and you're good to go...

BTW, I really like the DPMS hammers for this since they're not notched and the carrier rides of them a bit easier, it seems (IMO). The DPMS hammers are *really* hard, though, so grind a bit at a time and try to not heat them up too much. FWIW, the Model1Sales hammer I used a while ago for a build took about 1/4 the time to grind down as the DPMS and Stag hammers I used later on. The steel in their hammers is much softer than the DPMS and Stag hammers.
- Rob
G30