Looking for a pocket gun

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

sabalo
Deceased
Deceased

Looking for a pocket gun

Post by sabalo »

I'm interested in a gun that I can stick in my pocket as a bug, of course in a holster. I want a 9mm at least, auto, very reliable and light weight as possible. Stainless would be nice but not mandatory. I expect with all the gun experience in this forum you would lead me in the right direction.
I would appreciate hearing from those who actually OWN the gun, not just heard about it from others. Thanks in advance for your knowledgeable assistance.
======================================================
The beatings will continue until morale improves !

"It's bowb your buddy week."
Harry Harrison - DEATHWORLD

Let's all remember that 9 Bengals were arrested in a 9 month period !
(Source-ESPN)

Jerk Herder®
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

Kahr PM9
Castle

Post by Castle »

S&W 442 or 642 Centennial Airweight in .38 spc +P
Keltec P3-AT .380 ACP

Of the two, I prefer the S&W. Yes, it's heavier, fatter and only holds 5 rounds, but it seems to carry better. For some reason, even with the DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster, the Keltec wants to print.

(Hey, they're both 9mms!)
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

Castle wrote:S&W 442 or 642 Centennial Airweight in .38 spc +P
Keltec P3-AT .380 ACP

Of the two, I prefer the S&W. Yes, it's heavier, fatter and only holds 5 rounds, but it seems to carry better. For some reason, even with the DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster, the Keltec wants to print.

(Hey, they're both 9mms!)
And the smitty doesn't print???
charles1198

Post by charles1198 »

I suppose it depends on how big your pocket is and how fat your wallet is. I prefer the Kel-Tec P3AT for its concealability in front or back pocket of jeans, shorts or even dress pants. It was only a little over 2 bills, too. Sadly, it is only a .380, but it is a good "always" gun.

A truly "pocket-sized" 9mm? I've never seen one. Everything I tried was too bulky or heavy for pocket carry.

Try a Kahr. I don't have one, but they are pretty small, though large in comparison to the Kel-Tec. Might work IWB or in cargo or coat pocket.

Size/weight/cost issues are a decision everyone has to make, and it's not always easy. For a BUG, I think you'd do ok with a .380.
Castle

Post by Castle »

Petrofergov wrote: And the smitty doesn't print???
Not like the Keltec. Looks more like a lump in my pocket whereas the Keltec seems to look like a pistol. Maybe I'm being overly sensitive. 8)

Weight-wise, the Keltec is sweet. Much lighter than a NAA or similar.

The Kahr PM-9 is neat, but a lot of $$. 'Course it's still cheaper than a Rohrbaugh.

I've never tried it, but I've a friend who carries a Glock 27 in his shorts. Must be skinnier than I am.
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

My Kel-Tec 3AT is just about the best pistol purchase I have ever made. It is truly an always gun, even in this stinking hot weather. It goes into my back pocket and just seems to disappear there. In a nice holster (ya gotta buy a holster!) it looks like a wallet.

When the weather is nice enough for a cover garment, I carry a 1911 or a Hi-Power with the 3AT as a Back Up Gun. When things are too stinking jungle hot for a cover garment, sometimes I'll venture out with just the 3AT. But, since I bought it a few months ago, I've never been without it.

It's a puny 9x17; much less powerful than a real 9mm. Probably less powerful (though not by a lot) than a .38 special coming out of a 2" barrel. But it gives me 7 rounds as opposed to the snubby's 5, and is just about the smallest handgun I've ever seen.

Are you sure you're talking about the .380 Kel-Tec? They make a P-11 9mm that is way bigger.

TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

charles1198 wrote:A truly "pocket-sized" 9mm? I've never seen one. Everything I tried was too bulky or heavy for pocket carry.
Looking at the Rohrbaugh in side-by-sides I'd say it qualifies. Can't speak to the weight issue, as I've not even been in the same room as one (leastways not that I was aware of :mrgreen: ). I do know I can get me three-four P3ATs, or a couple used J-frames, or a loaded compact Springer 1911 for the price of one...
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
toddhill

Post by toddhill »

I just got the DeSantis pocket holster and it actually prints more than my Action-direct pocket holster.

Not sure if you can tell from the pics though.
charles1198

Post by charles1198 »

http://www.geocities.com/r_oremland/Poc ... arison.jpg

Here's a good comparison chart. It might help in making an informed decision.

Looks like the Rohrbaugh is over 4x the price of my Kel-Tec, and several ounces heavier. Some of the Kahr's weigh twice as much, too...20-27 oz in a pant pocket is a little too much for me.

Tom -- nice holsters...K&D?
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Tall order

Post by Javelin Man »

I want a 9mm at least, auto, very reliable and light weight as possible.

You're asking a lot from a pistol. A Rohrbaugh or a Kahr PM9 may be the only ones small enough for you, but the weight may be uncomfortable. Another alternative is the Kel-tec P11. 14 unloaded ounces of 9mm power. It can hold 10, 12, or more +1. It's only a little bit larger than the Kahr.

You'd still have to have a big and strong pocket to hold any of these. I use a Kel-tec P32 in my pocket. It's nearly invisible at 3/4's of an inch thick. My S&W 36 looks like I'm showing off in my pocket. :D

The Kel-tec P3AT is an excellent alternative. We're all hoping and waiting for the day when Kel-tec comes out with a single stack 9mm. THAT would be the ultimate concealed carry weapon. Just one man's opinion.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
Scott

Post by Scott »

Castle wrote: For some reason, even with the DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster, the Keltec wants to print.
Mine doesn't print in my GunHide holster, unless my jeans are too tight. :oops: Gotta cut out the peach pies :lol:

This is how I've been carrying it since Spring, I guess. I took some fabric, rolled it up and sewed it into the holster extension opposite the grip. It gives the pistol/holster system more of a "wallet" look. I ditched the Hogue wrap around grip seen in earlier pics. Too "grippy" to get out of pocket easily.

Blip!
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Looking at the handy dandy chart the Seecamp gets my vote. My Xmass list justs keeps getting longer all the time. :D
Never Have So Many Owed So Much To So Few.
Linda

Re: Looking for a pocket gun

Post by Linda »

sabalo wrote: I would appreciate hearing from those who actually OWN the gun, not just heard about it from others. .
Sabalo, I carry a Colt 45 Defender in my front right pocket all the time. It's short, light weight (cast aluminium I think), easily concealable. I tuck it in an Uncle Mike's "In the Pant" #1 holster. With that holster, if I feel like it and have an extra shirt on, I can clip it to the top of my pants too. Handy little set up! What do you think though....,will a 45 do the job??? :lol: I think so!
"Women must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself."
Susan B. Anthony~July 1871
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

charles1198 wrote:Tom -- nice holsters...K&D?
Nope, not K&D -- though they make nice holsters, too.

This guy calls himself the "Guru" (hey, I thought that title was reserved for Jeff Cooper!).

Here's his web address http://www.pocketholsters.com

I've been very pleased with my holster. It is well made, attractive, effective, and it was delivered within 72 hours!
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.