Removing J-Frame lock

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Atilla

Re: Removing J-Frame lock

Post by Atilla »

Finally got the 642 to the range today. All went well, but I was also trying out a Taurus 605, which had a much smoother trigger. Fired 158g std 38s, 125g +P, and some 125g magnums out of the 605. Between bifocals and fixed unicolor sights, the CT laser on the 605 was a tremendous aid. I may have to spring for one for the j-frame. I am confident either revolver be as accurate and reliable as I am, so which one will be my EDC depends more on the weather. I am ordering a replacement locking flag should I ever sell the 642 ($4.12). My old 642 which is still with an ex girlfriend did not have the lock. Live and learn. This was the first time I opened up a revolver, makes a pistol look simple. Update: S&W is sending me out a new 'lock arm E' gratis . The person I talked to said all revolvers still have the internal lock, in 2009 they did sell a group of non-IL Centennials using frames they had in storage.
C'mon! We're all going to die, die standing up!
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Just a thought.
How about putting a drop of Locktite on the lock mechanism so it can't be turned?
Pun intended. 8)
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
Atilla

Post by Atilla »

AlanM wrote:Just a thought.
How about putting a drop of Locktite on the lock mechanism so it can't be turned?
Pun intended. 8)
The locktite/superglue fix was mentioned in the S&W forums. So was removing "locking arm E". I am fine with the nub being ground off and a (free) replacement from S&W should I ever want to sell it ( or move to Maryland ).
C'mon! We're all going to die, die standing up!
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

pleasantguywhopacks wrote:Some new jframes are being made (optional) with out the lock IIRC.
As far as I know, that's only the Model 40 j-frame lemonsqueezer...which has a grip safety. There was a run of 642s without locks, but word was it was just old, misplaced frames being used up.

Where's old Luke...he loves the OBLs on S&Ws?
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
weakhand luke

Post by weakhand luke »

Lock and load...

Gun mutilation is a sickness.