how to legaly hunt with a AR for deer in ohio

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Ring

how to legaly hunt with a AR for deer in ohio

Post by Ring »

get your self a new virgin lower, "does not need to be marked pistol" as long as the "yellow form" was marked "receiver"
any "receiver" can be a pistol
pistols to not have a max barrel langth
any pistol can be later made into a rifle, and then back in to a pistol
a rifle can not be made into a pistol, only SBR
ATF logic, got to love it.

get a upper in any high powered straight walled cartage, 50 Beowulf, Bushmaster .450....

use a A2 buffer tube, but no stock, you can add a tennis ball to the back to keep it from slipping on the sholder. "ATF does NOT consider this a stock"
even though it can be used as 1 :twisted:

add a 2x7 scope or reddot

bipod would be nice as well, do not add a forward pistol grip "AOW" :| more ATF logic

ODNR does not restrict mag limits on pistols, only "handgun with 5-in. minimum length barrel, using straight-walled cartridges .357 caliber or larger"
machinegunkelly

Re: how to legaly hunt with a AR for deer in ohio

Post by machinegunkelly »

Would this also be legal to carry concealed with a CHL?

MGK
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

Or do this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKWK2idDdm4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
mdad

Post by mdad »

But, How do you deal with the Rules.

Handgun – 5-in. min. length barrel, using straight-walled cartridges .357 caliber or larger

Straight walled cartridges, and .357 or larger.??
The world is a dangerous place to live... not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. - Albert Einstein
Life Member NRA
Life Member North American Hunter
BigV

Post by BigV »

I believe you may be mistaken.
Please read This Thread
The information as I understand it is that once a butt stock has been attached to a rifle, it can NOT be made into a pistol.
Morne, help us out here...
BigV
letterofthelaw

Post by letterofthelaw »

You can hunt other game with a out of the box rifle cartridge based AR can you not? From what I saw on the ODNR, I did not interpret anything as restricting use of AR platform weapons to hunt. Verification / explanation would be appreciated :) Safe hunting and shooting anyways all!
BobK

Post by BobK »

I found the linked BATF***er letter interesting, including the phrase:
BATF***er wrote:"However, possessing a rifle buttstock that could be readily installed on your pistol could constitute possession of a short-barreled rifle."
If you have any other AR rifle in your possession, I would also be worried about them playing the game where they point to your AR rifle's buttstock and claim it can be removed from the rifle and installed on your AR pistol.
mdad wrote:Straight walled cartridges, and .357 or larger.??
You can have an AR chambered in other calibers, not just .223. It would need to be chambered in a cartridge that meets the requirements.
letterofthelaw wrote:You can hunt other game with a out of the box rifle cartridge based AR can you not?
Absolutely. Our only weirdness regarding hunting weapon options revolves around the much revered whitetail. Go slay coyotes, wild pigs, and other varmints in whatever manner makes you happy.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
Ring

Post by Ring »

But, How do you deal with the Rules.
Handgun – 5-in. min. length barrel, using straight-walled cartridges .357 caliber or larger
Straight walled cartridges, and .357 or larger.??
u didnt read my post did you?

get a upper in any high powered straight walled cartage, 50 Beowulf, Bushmaster .450....
The information as I understand it is that once a butt stock has been attached to a rifle, it can NOT be made into a pistol.
as per the ATF
any NEW reciver can be made into a pistol
any pistol can later be made into a rifle and back to pistol "TC Contender, Mech-Tech Carbine"
http://www.notpurfect.com/main/mechtech.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.jcweaponry.com/images/ar15/BB.JPG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.google.com/search?q=atf+ar+pistol+letter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

but if the gun was papered and a rifle and not a "reciver", then u cant make it a pistol.
Would this also be legal to carry concealed with a CHL?
yes, its a pistol, but a holster me be a problem

AR rifle's buttstock and claim it can be removed from the rifle and installed on your AR pistol.
use a 16" upper, there in no "MAX" barrel langht for pistols, so, with stock=rifle, with out pistol, no problems :)
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

Long guns can be made into SBR's and into AOW's. The "catch" is what type of AOW, I am speaking of rifle/shotgun combination guns.

Bill
Have a great day today unless you have made other plans :-).
Ring

Post by Ring »

willbird wrote:Long guns can be made into SBR's and into AOW's. The "catch" is what type of AOW, I am speaking of rifle/shotgun combination guns.

Bill

yes, but my goal was to make a gun that has rifle accuracy and distance that wasnt a blackpowder
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

Ring wrote:
willbird wrote:Long guns can be made into SBR's and into AOW's. The "catch" is what type of AOW, I am speaking of rifle/shotgun combination guns.

Bill

yes, but my goal was to make a gun that has rifle accuracy and distance that wasnt a blackpowder

I fully understand the goal, I was commenting on another posters comment.
a rifle can not be made into a pistol, only SBR
Bill
Have a great day today unless you have made other plans :-).
Ring

Post by Ring »

made with
http://pimpmygun.doctornoob.com/app.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

BigV wrote:I believe you may be mistaken.
Please read This Thread
Much wisdom is in the referenced thread.

For those who want to argue the point - be my guest. Argue not with me, but with the BATFE. Keep your lawyer on speed dial.

You have been given free advice.

After this:
Ring wrote:use a A2 buffer tube, but no stock, you can add a tennis ball to the back to keep it from slipping on the sholder. "ATF does NOT consider this a stock"
Your lawyer is going to hate your guts and double the fee. This is called "intent" and it is very dangerous. In fact, some prosecutor with a burr in his saddle could call your whole post "conspiracy" to violate the NFA. IANAL, but I would respectfully request thread deletion.

Complying with ODNR rules and regs is one thing. Complying with federal law and the whimsical BATFE regs is quite another.

I will not post in this thread, or answer any PM's regarding it, again. I will not be party to federal crimes. Consider this your obligatory, "I wouldn't do that if I was you," from a concerned pro-2A pal.

That's it, I'm done. Outta here.
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
Ring

Post by Ring »

Morne wrote: After this:
Ring wrote:use a A2 buffer tube, but no stock, you can add a tennis ball to the back to keep it from slipping on the sholder. "ATF does NOT consider this a stock"
Your lawyer is going to hate your guts and double the fee. This is called "intent" and it is very dangerous. In fact, some prosecutor with a burr in his saddle could call your whole post "conspiracy" to violate the NFA. IANAL, but I would respectfully request thread deletion.

Complying with ODNR rules and regs is one thing. Complying with federal law and the whimsical BATFE regs is quite another.

I will not post in this thread, or answer any PM's regarding it, again. I will not be party to federal crimes. Consider this your obligatory, "I wouldn't do that if I was you," from a concerned pro-2A pal.

That's it, I'm done. Outta here.
its not what i say, its what the ATF says, read
http://www.jcweaponry.com/images/ar15/BB.JPG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

im right, show me other wise
D_Weezy

Re: how to legally hunt with a AR for deer in Ohio

Post by D_Weezy »

BigV wrote:I believe you may be mistaken.
Please read This Thread

That could not be entirely true. What about Thompson Center Contender and Encore rifles? They can legally be made into pistols, and they sell all of the different barrels and grips to do so. TC would be breaking the law. They tell you which pistol grip, to put on the frame, with the proper barrel to make it a pistol.
Never give an answer, unless asked a question.