? about your defense ammo

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

MDM

? about your defense ammo

Post by MDM »

O.K. You carry your firearm everywhere. It gets exposed to heat, humidity,rain,cold and snow. So....How long do you hold on to your SD ammo before you decide to shoot it and buy some new. I just thought about this the other day when I was reloading a magazine. Since I`ve been carrying for 14 months now and I haven`t been involved in any of Toby Hoovers road rage,bloodbath scenarios I still have the same box of SD ammo I bought for carrying. The stuff is just to expensive to use for plinking. I`m well aware that if kept at home in a dry place this ammo would probably be good for about fifty years. But how about now. How can I be absolutely sure it`s gonna go bang if I need it to????
"A citizen who shirks his duty to contribute to the security of his community is little better than the criminal who threatens it."
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

if youre worried about them not firing, stop. The only thing that might happen, depending on where your pistol is on your person, is possible corrosion from moisture, but thats just case corrosion. And most self defense ammo is non corrosive. My Hydra shocks look like new and theyve been the same ones for going on 7 months. Not near as long as you but they look new.

as far a them going bang, I wouldnt worry.

am I totally off base?

anyone?
Life is precious, Got Sig?
Sig P250 Compact .40s&w
MDM

Post by MDM »

Mine also look like new,but what I`m more concerned with are powder and primers.
"A citizen who shirks his duty to contribute to the security of his community is little better than the criminal who threatens it."
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

MDM wrote:Mine also look like new,but what I`m more concerned with are powder and primers.
I could be very wrong, but what we put our ammo thru is nothing compared to what it can handle.

dont fret :D
Sig P250 Compact .40s&w
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I had some 30 carbine rounds that looked like they were dredged up from the river and everyone of them went BANG! (Made in 1945)
Never Have So Many Owed So Much To So Few.
Glock and dagger

Post by Glock and dagger »

Our ammo is quite resistant to the woes of storage, and environmental predicaments. A little (or lot of) humidity should not matter, especially if the case is crimped. Moisture does not usually get inside the bullet.

Now, if you retrieved it from the bottom of a lake, I would say, 'no'.
I'm Glock and Dagger and I approved this message.

"If it deprives just one citizen of their God-given rights, it's not worth it."
-evan price

FOOTOS... the Fresh Fighter
DoubleK

Post by DoubleK »

How about if it was washed and dried ??

Left a speedloader strip in my pants and my dear wife washed them and the ammo for me. Now the BG won't get an infection. :)
Brian_Horton

Post by Brian_Horton »

DoubleK wrote:How about if it was washed and dried ??

Left a speedloader strip in my pants and my dear wife washed them and the ammo for me. Now the BG won't get an infection. :)
I would replace ammo if i had been fully submersed in water. 6 rounds isn't too expensive to replace. You always want your ammo to go boom when you really need it to.
When the goin' gets tough, the tough go cyclic.

Happiness is a crew served weapon.
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

I'd recommend shooting what you carry about every six months or so. Why? Well, first it'll give you peace of mind knowing you're carrying "fresh" ammo (although I do tend to agree that you could probably carry it 'til the cows come home with no degradation) and, secondly, it gives you a little bit of range time with your carry ammo - always a good thing.
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

NavyChief wrote: secondly, it gives you a little bit of range time with your carry ammo - always a good thing.
thats probably the best reason.

too many people walking around that arent profficient with their pistol, so any reason to get them to the range is a good one right?

:D

the stories I could tell you about LEO's at stonewall on route 82...cant hit a plate at 15 ft.

I hear they only test twice a year, is this true for most departments?
Sig P250 Compact .40s&w
toddhill

Post by toddhill »

too many people walking around that arent profficient with their pistol, so any reason to get them to the range is a good one right?
I have a cousin that works security for a local powerplant; he hates the annual qualifying because he always ends up behind the guys who need 1 hour and 3 boxes of ammo before he can do his 5 or 10 minute qual.

Go figure.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I believe it.

It happens way too frequently.
Sig P250 Compact .40s&w
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

Aaron wrote:I hear they only test twice a year, is this true for most departments?
It varies by department, but that's probably a good average. Further, keep in mind that for many LEOs the firearm is just one more "tool" they have to lug around. Between 12-hour shifts, writing reports, court appearances, plus all the same crap that you and I have to do after work... Firearms proficiency does not always make the "A" list.
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
Willy P

Post by Willy P »

I shot several hundred rounds of reloads that I put together back in 96 this spring. They were in both my new and old trailers. The old trailer was used in the spring and fall and not much other than that. Temps had to be from below 0 to 100+ and humidity would have been of the same scale. Every single one went bang with the correct pitch! None had sealing compound and the powder they were loaded with was old enough to vote when I put it into them back in 96! My wife has washed and dried several shotgun rounds over the years and most were not sealed waterfowl loads. Every one went bang. I've read studies done back in the 80's on vibrated and heated ammo that was chronographed to see if anything could make it go unstable. NOPE! With all that said, if a round for anything I intend to protect me from bear, mountain lion, or man is over a year old it goes to the plinking/practice box! Mater of fact the ONLY rounds of factory ammo I have ever had fail to go bang 100% have been the old aluminum cased Blazers in 3 different calibers! They were new in box fresh off the shelf rounds! If gunpowder depleated the ozone I'd have a hole with my name on it the size of Texas!
the right wing zealot

Post by the right wing zealot »

I agree with Navy Chief...every six months to know what the "real" thing will feel like (God forbid you will ever REALLY need to know). Besides, 15 to 20 bucks for a 20 count box of SD ammo twice a year is a max of $40 a year...less than a dollar a week. To me, that is a small price to pay to save your life.
'Gun control' is being able to put two bullets through the same hole.