Red Dot for Ruger MKIII Hunter

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Whittey

Red Dot for Ruger MKIII Hunter

Post by Whittey »

I am looking for a red dot for my mkiii hunter. I am looking for the following:
1) 30+ mm
1) 3- MOA
2) Quality
3) Under $100
4) Silver
5) 2x magnification

I realise there are two #1's, but they're both important. I definitely want 30mm or larger and I do NOT want 4MOA or larger dot. If it's got multi dots, that's fine so long as there is one 3 or smaller. I'd prefer not to get something like a BSA. Something that'll last me 5+ years. Preferably with that kind of warranty, but a good quality unit with a lower warranty doesn't turn me off. I would like it under $100 if possible. That's kinda difficult, as the only ones i've found that match the rest are in the $400 range, which I just can't justify. Silver or stainless to match the stainless pistol. Black wouldn't look too weird, as it's a 22/45, but i'd still prefer silver. Magnification would be nice as well.

The only thing i've found that seems to match all of these is a TruGlo 2x 30mm site, but I have no idea if their optics are worth while at all. Anyone have any experience with these, or have some other suggestion?

-=Whittey=-

(this post was edited from its original form to include data lost in a terrible and traumatic mishap)
Last edited by Whittey on Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jbp-ohio

Post by jbp-ohio »

I have never seen a 30mm with a small dot..........

I have a Leupold/Gilmore sight on my ruger MKII. I think they are discontinued, but I see them on Ebay all of the time. Look at the dimensions to make sure the center section (2") will fit between your rings. I had to order a longer base from Ruger.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Red-Dot-Sight-Leupo ... -Two-Tone-

No magnification, but it does have a 2moa dot.

NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

Whittey wrote:Hrm. I could have sworn I put this in "Firearms & Gear" as I was looking for suggestions and not to sell/buy/trade one in-forum. Could a mod move this please?

-=Whittey=-
Your wish... blah, blah, blah... Done.
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
Whittey

Post by Whittey »

jbp-ohio wrote:I have a Leupold/Gilmore sight on my ruger MKII. I think they are discontinued, but I see them on Ebay all of the time. Look at the dimensions to make sure the center section (2") will fit between your rings. I had to order a longer base from Ruger.

No magnification, but it does have a 2moa dot.
Hrm. A 2" center section should fit. The rail that came with my gun was about as long as the magazine is. A 2MOA dot would be nice. How is the parrallax on that?

-=Whittey=-
jbp-ohio

Post by jbp-ohio »

Didn't even know there could be parallax without magnification. Never looked at any targets beyond 50 yards so ???
Whittey

Post by Whittey »

Well, i'm getting my info from here. It seems to make sense to me. If you're looking down your sights and move your head, does the dot move on the target? If so, how much?

-=Whittey=-
jbp-ohio

Post by jbp-ohio »

Didn't know the had concave lenses. You would really have to have the pistol off square a lot to have the dot clear to the edge of the tube.

I like the lack of magnification so I can shoot with both eyes open. Makes the dot seem to 'float' out of the tube.