Cheaper bullets?

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Rami

Cheaper bullets?

Post by Rami »

Friday I hit the gun shops in Lancaster, Gander Mtn. in Columbus, and Buckeye Outdoors looking for a cheaper .40 cal. bullet for reloading. All any of them had were the red, green, or yellow boxed stuff for $15 a hundred. I wanted to try some plated stuff, maybe Berry's or Rainier. Does anyone carry a cheaper bullet in stock in the central Ohio or Southeat area? Any other ideas for saving money on bullets? Any experience with these? I have ordered 9 mm stuff before and the shipping was a bit high. .40's would be even more. I might hit the gun show in Worthington on Aug. 13 but sometimes it's hard to find anything there. I cast for my .357 but would rather not use lead bullets in the .40.
JJones

Post by JJones »

Have you tried Midwayusa.com ?

I get the one fired brass and the Rainer bullets.
Ring

Post by Ring »

buy winchester bulk 180g jhp 40, its cheaper the FMJ's

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.e ... mid=467817

or 40 180 FMJ Special 1000 Price 64.50

http://www.patsreloading.com/patsrel/prices.htm
Rami

Post by Rami »

The Pat's Reloading site looked interesting. Do they have a store with regular hours or just mail/phone orders? I've been buying Winchester JHP in 9 mm from Midway. The .40's are just so much more expensive than the 9's. I'm kind of new to the .40, only had one a year and still experimenting with loads. Started with a Smith Sigma and didn't like it so I sold it and bought a CZ 2075 Rami. I like it but still have to work with the loads. I think I like the 165 gr. so far at about 1000 fps. Of course the little Rami doesn't get that many fps with a short barrel.
Glock and dagger

Post by Glock and dagger »

I hope you guys are talking about practice ammo, because if you're not, I wouldn't suggest using reloaded ammunition for defense of any type.

I reload also. One thing I am positive of is that my ammo will go bang every time the trigger is pulled on those guns. What I am also sure of is that lawyers will eat you up if you ever use that stuff as a defense round.

Hey, as far as I'm concerned, you should be able to use whatever you want for defense, but that's just the way it is. A bigger headache than it is worth.
I'm Glock and Dagger and I approved this message.

"If it deprives just one citizen of their God-given rights, it's not worth it."
-evan price

FOOTOS... the Fresh Fighter
Rami

Post by Rami »

I use the store bought stuff for defense and reload for everything else. I've
heard "the lawyers will eat you up if you ever use that stuff for a defense round" for awhile, but has anyone ever KNOWN of it happening or is that just an urban legend? I'll stay with the factory ammo just to be sure in my carry gun.
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

Glock and dagger wrote:What I am also sure of is that lawyers will eat you up if you ever use that stuff as a defense round.

Hey, as far as I'm concerned, you should be able to use whatever you want for defense, but that's just the way it is. A bigger headache than it is worth.
Rami wrote:I've heard "the lawyers will eat you up if you ever use that stuff for a defense round" for awhile, but has anyone ever KNOWN of it happening or is that just an urban legend?I've heard "the lawyers will eat you up if you ever use that stuff for a defense round" for awhile, but has anyone ever KNOWN of it happening or is that just an urban legend?
The "no no" to using reloads for defensive ammo comes from Mas Ayoob. He has been a strong advocate of using factory ammo for carry. Mas deals a lot with the courts (he offers to testify on behalf of any of his students -- so long as it was a righteous shoot). Although to the best of my knowledge there have been no reported cases of a prosecutor making an issue about reloaded ammunition, it is usually wiser to try to eliminate any extra problems that may come up should you ever have to go to court.

Many instructors recommend using the same kind of ammunition the FBI or your local police choose to carry. Even though self-defense shootings may differ a lot (a lot!) from LEO shootings (e.g. we probably won't be shooting through windshields or car doors), it is still a worthwhile consideration to carry what they carry. That may defuse any concern about using super-killer, dum-dum, explosive sniper bullets....
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
Glock and dagger

The "no no" to using reloads for defensive ammo comes from Mas Ayoob. He has been a strong advocate of using factory ammo for carry. Mas deals a lot with the courts (he offers to testify on behalf of any of his students -- so long as it was a righteous shoot). Although to the best of my knowledge there have been no reported cases of a prosecutor making an issue about reloaded ammunition, it is usually wiser to try to eliminate any extra problems that may come up should you ever have to go to court.
It has happened. Although the shooters I've read about were eventually cleared of any wrong-doing, this was at a huge price..... nearly 3 times what it should have been.

Here's the problem. When you are using your own formula, there is no reputable record of what it was. If they test any of the rounds in your magazine, they are destroying evidence. If they are taken apart, the evidence is tampered with. They will not go on your word as to the contents of the gun, and they will not weigh the bullet and subtract out its basic parts to give a weight on the powder, because then they still don't know for sure what you used in the bullet.

That's just the criminal aspect of the problem.

The civil end has a bloodsucking lawyer attempting to show you as a menace to society, just lying in wait for the opportunity to kill someone, and made certain when you did, you would be possessing "killer ammo" for the purpose. This is hard to prove or disprove, also. One guy got out of his quickly when his house was invaded and he grabbed his rifle and killed the intruder, and claimed the rifle was being tested outside (rural area) to see if his hunting reload was accurate enough for his liking when it occured. It was the only thing he had at the time. It was dismissed quicker than some of the others, who actually loaded their shots lighter to prevent overpenetration, and make it "less lethal".

Bottom line, we live in a world that has accomplice lawyers helping pieces of trash destroy innocents all the time. Don't help them.

-evan price

Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Glock and dagger wrote:Bottom line, we live in a world that has accomplice lawyers helping pieces of trash destroy innocents all the time. Don't help them.
Indeed

We all know our own reloads are sufficient, but I'd rather not risk it.

I'll be damned if I got into a situation and after all was said and done, someone found out I used reloads. The less we give them to exploit the better.
Life is precious, Got Sig?
Sig P250 Compact .40s&w
Rami

Post by Rami »

Anyone know what ammo the Ohio State Patrol uses?
AlanM

OHP not OSP

Post by AlanM »

Please don't give them or imply that they have any more power than they do.

They are the Ohio HIGHWAY Patrol NOT state police or state patrol.

Sheriffs have more/larger jurisdictions that OHP officers.

Nit pick off

ARM
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Re: OHP not OSP

Post by TunnelRat »

AlanM wrote:Please don't give them or imply that they have any more power than they do.

They are the Ohio HIGHWAY Patrol NOT state police or state patrol.

Sheriffs have more/larger jurisdictions that OHP officers.
Yup, that's "Highway Patrol" -- you get 'em off the highway over on the shoulder and they've gotta call for local backup.... :wink:
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
Rami

Post by Rami »

Maybe I should have said State Tax Collectors?
collin

Post by collin »

Don't get me started on the "Ohio Revenue Enhancement Corps".
Glock and dagger

Yeah, no kidding....

-evan price