Thoughts on Mr. Stoner and Mr. Kalashnikov

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Here's my 5.56 cents worth.

kalashnikov carbines are knock-off junk.
10%
AR's rule.
90%

Total votes: 10

Buckshot

Post by Buckshot »

P4G,

They really didn't have to surplus the powder, they were still using it in the 7.62 X 51 in the M60 GPMG and things like the miniguns. It just would have lasted a lot longer.

This one was NOT McNamara! It was the Ordnance Department and Col. Renee Studler, head of Ordnance.

H ordered the powder to be used in the 5.56 X 45 to try to make it crash as the Ordnance Department did not support the adoption of the M16 or the cartridge and they were doing everything they could to kill it off. The trouble was they were getting GIs killed in the process.

McNamara screwed up lots of things, this one just wasn't one of his.

Buckshot
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

Buckshot wrote:P4G,

They really didn't have to surplus the powder, they were still using it in the 7.62 X 51 in the M60 GPMG and things like the miniguns. It just would have lasted a lot longer.

This one was NOT McNamara! It was the Ordnance Department and Col. Renee Studler, head of Ordnance.

H ordered the powder to be used in the 5.56 X 45 to try to make it crash as the Ordnance Department did not support the adoption of the M16 or the cartridge and they were doing everything they could to kill it off. The trouble was they were getting GIs killed in the process.

McNamara screwed up lots of things, this one just wasn't one of his.

Buckshot
That is interesting to know.

It's hard to understand why someone would deliberately sabatoge a design full well knowing it could malfunction when it was needed.
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

P4G wrote:It's hard to understand why someone would deliberately sabatoge a design full well knowing it could malfunction when it was needed.
You need to keep up on current events. There is a whole crew of people in this country hoping that we fail in Iraq and Afghanistan so they can profit politically... :?
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Re: Corrections

Post by TunnelRat »

Buckshot wrote:Very untrue for most average line grunts. First of all, the officers prohibited it.
Yup Big-time!
Buckshot wrote:2nd of all, it was common knowledge (even if only partically true) that the CIA was introducing small quantities of 7.62 X 39 ammo loaded with C4 into the Viet Cong ammo system.
I never heard that (doesn't mean it isn't true, just that I never heard of it).
Buckshot wrote:Finally, using one of the enemy's weapon could get you killed becasue of the difference in noise. Your own guys would shoot at you because you were using an "enemy" weapon!
Again, true, big-time! Especially at night...

My last month in-country I was pulled off line duty and given a rear echelon position (I had served nine months as a rifle platoon leader and two months enjoying a hospital vacation). I had a jeep and a driver and spent a lot of time shuttling back and forth between battalion, brigade, and division HQs.

That was when I got a nifty AK-47 with a nice cherry wood stock -- very pretty -- it was a shooter! Too bad we weren't allowed to bring such things home... :?
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

tommcnaughton wrote:
P4G wrote:It's hard to understand why someone would deliberately sabatoge a design full well knowing it could malfunction when it was needed.
You need to keep up on current events. There is a whole crew of people in this country hoping that we fail in Iraq and Afghanistan so they can profit politically... :?
You wouldn't be referring to hitlery, would you?