More reasons to buy an XD

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Petrovich
*** Banned ***

More reasons to buy an XD

Post by Petrovich »

http://home.columbus.rr.com/jeffindex/xdvsglk.pdf

I'm probably being bad by printing this article off and sharing it on a public forum. So I'll throw in a plug for Guntest Magazine. I've had a subscription for several years and I encourage all gun enthusiasts to give them a try.
Glock and dagger

Post by Glock and dagger »

OK, what am I missing here?

If I were to make some sort of X vs. Y competition, they would have to be similar in some way. On the face, the XD45GAP is NOT the same as a Glock 21/21C.

But I got to appreciate the honesty of the review, which said XD was the best buy, but that the Glock 21C was their pick.

Simply stated, why didn't they take the Glock 37/38/39 in comparison with the XD45GAP?

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the .45GAP in any handgun. Especially not for a concealed carry piece.
I'm Glock and Dagger and I approved this message.

"If it deprives just one citizen of their God-given rights, it's not worth it."
-evan price

FOOTOS... the Fresh Fighter
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

Glock and dagger wrote:OK, what am I missing here?

If I were to make some sort of X vs. Y competition, they would have to be similar in some way. On the face, the XD45GAP is NOT the same as a Glock 21/21C.

But I got to appreciate the honesty of the review, which said XD was the best buy, but that the Glock 21C was their pick.

Simply stated, why didn't they take the Glock 37/38/39 in comparison with the XD45GAP?

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the .45GAP in any handgun. Especially not for a concealed carry piece.
GAP isn't my first pick either.

Heck, if it's "no different than a .45acp" then why not just shoot .45acp???

If yer gonna improve something, then IMPROVE it. Don't just tweak a few dimensions, give it a fancy new name and put it on the market.
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

Petrofergov wrote:
Glock and dagger wrote:OK, what am I missing here?

GAP isn't my first pick either.

Heck, if it's "no different than a .45acp" then why not just shoot .45acp???

If yer gonna improve something, then IMPROVE it. Don't just tweak a few dimensions, give it a fancy new name and put it on the market.
I am not all that sure the .45GAP qualifies as an improvement. It does the same thing as .45acp -- whippy skippy...

All it seems to do is allow manufacturers to produce a handgun that won't take the .45acp ammo that's been in service since 1911 (or so...). And this allows what? A pistol grip that is barely smaller? Whatever for? The Government Model's grip is about as small as any on the market.

Hey, if it floats your boat, buy it and shoot it. Just don't get your GAP ammo mixed up with your other stuff...
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

tommcnaughton wrote:
I am not all that sure the .45GAP qualifies as an improvement. It does the same thing as .45acp -- whippy skippy...
My thoughts too.

Heck, if ya wanna get radical with .45acp try .400 cor bon.

GAP is a marketing stunt. No substance, just a lot of hype.
Glock and dagger

I'll go along with that.

-evan price

JJones

Post by JJones »

So What are these "more reasons to buy an XD"? And why should we listen to Guntest when they don't even compare the comparable models?

Jacques.
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

JJones wrote:So What are these "more reasons to buy an XD"?
A complete ban on all other handguns...?
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
Ring

Post by Ring »

ive shot the XD and glock..
a few things ive noticed..

i like the feel of the XD's trigger, but the trigger pull BLOWS compared to a glock, and i dont realy like the glocks..

the finish sucks on the XD, it wares off fast and rusts like mad.. 2 things that wont happen with a glock

shot crappy "silver bear" 40 threw the g27 and xd, the g27 shot it fine.. the xd locks up the slide 1 to 2 times per mag, to the point i had to beat it open

i like the feel of the grip on the XD
Glock and dagger

So What are these "more reasons to buy an XD"? And why should we listen to Guntest when they don't even compare the comparable models?
I just received my Guntests copy earlier today, and I still fail to see how Guntests came to the conclusion of using a .45GAP subject and pairing it up with a much bigger, more expensive model product that does not fire the exact same ammunition.

Obviously, the .45GAP has smaller dimensions, is lighter, and is less expensive, which are all good reasons to consider a gun.

In addition, .45GAP ammo, due to its higher pressure, has a decent ability to shoot, and although it does not match up to the .45ACP+P, it does beat normal .45ACP.

This was a very shoddy experiment, to say the least. Next time, maybe they might consider pairing up the G37 against the XD45.

-evan price