Laser on my Glock for carry

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Redhorse

Post by Redhorse »

:shock: Willy, I think you might want to get a second oppinion on whether that .40 cal is legal to hunt deer with. The only semi-auto's that are legal for deer hunting are those that use .357, .41, .44, etc. Like the desert eagle auto mags (in other words revolver cartridges). The .40 is an auto type cartridge (not a straight walled cartridge).

I have taken a buck with my .40 :) ...however it has a green mountain bbl, sylor lock, and uses a rock for it's ignition system! 8)
Freedom isn't free!
Willy P

Post by Willy P »

I called for a second and third opinion today. I called the Div. 1 Headquarters in Columbus and got hold of the laws division there. The officer that answered asked for my phone number and called back about 15 minutes later. They said that it was a good question and that rimmed or not did not matter and I could hunt with my semi auto 40. :D I'm a happy boy cause I was unsure if I had to use the 44 as to rather I should take that recoil or not. I agree a 44 is not all that bad but hey I got hurt from a piece of twine I was tying when it broke a few days ago. I'm not up to much "snap" right now. Anyway I consider the call back from the DOW dist. 1 office an official okey dokey.
CincinnastyKid
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by CincinnastyKid »

I think I'm going to hold off on a lasermax for my glock and get a crimson trace when they come out in January. They'll retail for $299 and they have a button on the back that engages when you grip the pistol unlike the button which can be a hassle on the lasermax internal laser for the glocks. It slips on the back of the handle.

-Kid
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the war room!"
Willy P

Post by Willy P »

You know they opened a can of worms on this issue of not setting a foot pound of energy limit! I've stated I think 500 should be the low limit. Well with the way that things are written now I could take a 5 inch barreled 38 special out or put a special in a 357. Honestly ( I know you are going to buck here but hang with me for sake of argument please??) I feel a 357 is a bare minumum for big game when you do not have a skill level or nerve level for the shooter. Most handguns are not real potent, IMO. I'll go so far as to add the 44 mag in there. For a lot of years the .410 shotgun was not allowed for deer as it was too weak. Redhorse where does that come out energy wise compared to a 41 mag? Now a 357 mag. ( Don't buck on me here yet Redhorse I agree lots of folks can take a deer with a 357 ) So here we are back to the State of OH doesn't get things right all the time. I'm going to take advantage of the law this year if I gun hunt. Yep that is selfish, in my own opinion, I will say that I will use the 40 inside the limits I do a bow and arrow. ( mere feet away to about 30 yards ) That is all the more faith I have in it for a clean stop. Also a 9mm is 355 so DON'T try one. ( I know my ears are going to get burned off on this one :( )
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Willy, the state has obviously been trying to loosen restrictions on allowable weapons for deer hunting the last several years. I'm sure the goal was to bring in bigger harvest numbers, and that is one way to do it. I agree that an overall minimum "power floor" is a good idea, but it would take the ODNR about 800 pages of text to explain it to us 'dummies'.

And I believe that a true, heavy .357 magnum load, properly applied, would be adequete. Can't agree with your notion of setting the bar as high as you suggest with the .500 S&W.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

CincinnastyKid wrote:I think I'm going to hold off on a lasermax for my glock and get a crimson trace when they come out in January. They'll retail for $299 and they have a button on the back that engages when you grip the pistol unlike the button which can be a hassle on the lasermax internal laser for the glocks. It slips on the back of the handle.
Yup, I've got a Crimson Trace laser grip for my Kimber officers size. It is terrific. I don't use it anymore since I received a nice set of ivory grips (which I have to use... :? ).

For some models (e.g. the Beretta) the Crimson Trace grips can be a tad large. That's why I got my son the Lasermax for his service issued Beretta to carry in Iraq. But either one -- Lasermax or Crimson Trace -- really light up the night. You can pretty much put your bullets on the target for about as far as you can see... :D
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
Willy P

Post by Willy P »

Brian. No not the 500 S&W. 500 Foot Pounds of energy. It is where the 357 just starts in at. A 41 Mag makes something like 700 foot pounds of energy and the 44 mag runs in the 900 to 1000 or a tad higher foot pounds of energy. This is off the top of my head figures here so give me some leeway on it all. The 45 acp operates in the 400 foot pound area and will make 500 barely at times. A 40 S&W is right there with the 45 for the most part and the 9 mil comes in the 300 and change to maybe 400 area of energy. All rough figures and I bet a couple are real rough but acceptably close ( I hope ) and that is the energy at the end of the barrel not at 50 or 100 yards where it has dropped off a pretty good bit. The state can explain what they want pretty easily. Check out Wyomings statement on handgun rounds, now they will let you shoot bottleneck rounds like a rifle takes mater of fact some guys shoot rifle rounds out of handguns. They use a length minumum of cartridge and footpound of energy figure and that is all they care about. Ok I left out minumum diameter which is the same as rifle limit. 23 cal. or larger. It could be simple for the state but they like to struggle for some unknown reason.
CincinnastyKid
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by CincinnastyKid »

tommcnaughton wrote:
CincinnastyKid wrote:I think I'm going to hold off on a lasermax for my glock and get a crimson trace when they come out in January. They'll retail for $299 and they have a button on the back that engages when you grip the pistol unlike the button which can be a hassle on the lasermax internal laser for the glocks. It slips on the back of the handle.
Yup, I've got a Crimson Trace laser grip for my Kimber officers size. It is terrific. I don't use it anymore since I received a nice set of ivory grips (which I have to use... :? ).

For some models (e.g. the Beretta) the Crimson Trace grips can be a tad large. That's why I got my son the Lasermax for his service issued Beretta to carry in Iraq. But either one -- Lasermax or Crimson Trace -- really light up the night. You can pretty much put your bullets on the target for about as far as you can see... :D
Do you know on a draw how quick you can turn on the lasermax laser? I like the internal better than the crimson trace but speed of turning it on was concerning.

-Kid
Mad Duck

Post by Mad Duck »

Installed CT grips on BHP & Lady D's Sig, they are on fast just as soon as you get the grip.
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

CincinnastyKid wrote:Do you know on a draw how quick you can turn on the lasermax laser? I like the internal better than the crimson trace but speed of turning it on was concerning.
That is one of the advantages of the Crimson Trace -- the "ON" switch is built into the grip. When you draw your pistol, the laser is on!
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
Redhorse

Post by Redhorse »

Hey Willy, we really shouldn't hijack this thread... :shock: it's about laser grips!!! Let's move this discussion over to a different forum of your chosing and continue. :wink:
Freedom isn't free!
CincinnastyKid
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by CincinnastyKid »

tommcnaughton wrote:
CincinnastyKid wrote:Do you know on a draw how quick you can turn on the lasermax laser? I like the internal better than the crimson trace but speed of turning it on was concerning.
That is one of the advantages of the Crimson Trace -- the "ON" switch is built into the grip. When you draw your pistol, the laser is on!
Yea, just having a hard time waiting for it. It's not out til January. I know waiting til January is the smartest thing. You know how that buying itch gets you though. I will try to supress my urges until January and get the crimson trace.

-Kid
Willy P

Post by Willy P »

Look in the Lounge for the 40 S&W offshoot.
Concealed and Confused

Post by Concealed and Confused »

Well , my laser is only for my carry and home defence firearms. I do hunt with a pistol but, I perfur to use my Ruger Redhawk .44 Mag. with a 5 1/2" barrle. I have it sighted in at 100 yards on a paper plate free hand so, don't see the need for any laser there..lol... I didn't even know you could use a semi hunting here in Ohio.
Good or Bad, Thank you !