Thoughts on 6.8mm Remington SPC

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Thoughts on 6.8mm Remington SPC

Post by Petrovich »

I guess the military is taking a look at 6.8mm as a possible upgrade to the M16?

Being the trendy kinda guy I am I decided to send one of my uppers in for a new fit.

DPMS is going to install a 16" tapered barrel to my upper, and a new bolt.

Anybody have any experience with this thing yet? I met a guy at the store the other day who does a lot of work on AR type rifles. He says that some are seeing problems with broken hammer pins and hammer pin holes suffering excessive wear due to the heavier impact of the bolt carrier hitting the hammer. He admits this happens only after extensive, full auto firing.

The guy at DPMS says recoil from the round is mild.

I'm thinking a heavier buffer spring might help? Maybe a gas tube with a smaller diameter? Maybe an adjustable gas tube??? Seems like if that was to be a problem it would be easily resolved by widening the hammer pin holes to accept hardened steel bushings, or something along those lines. Heck, inserting steel pins into an aluminum receiver seems a bit like asking for trouble in the first place, although it's been done with that rifle for decades without any problems.
JJones

Re: Thoughts on 6.8mm Remington SPC

Post by JJones »

Petrofergov wrote:I guess the military is taking a look at 6.8mm as a possible upgrade to the M16?

Being the trendy kinda guy I am I decided to send one of my uppers in for a new fit.

Anybody have any experience with this thing yet? I met a guy at the store the other day who does a lot of work on AR type rifles. He says that some are seeing problems with broken hammer pins and hammer pin holes suffering excessive wear due to the heavier impact of the bolt carrier hitting the hammer. He admits this happens only after extensive, full auto firing.

I'm thinking a heavier buffer spring might help? Maybe a gas tube with a smaller diameter? Maybe an adjustable gas tube??? Seems like if that was to be a problem it would be easily resolved by widening the hammer pin holes to accept hardened steel bushings, or something along those lines. Heck, inserting steel pins into an aluminum receiver seems a bit like asking for trouble in the first place, although it's been done with that rifle for decades without any problems.

I think the cartridge is too long for effective Concealed Carry.
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Re: Thoughts on 6.8mm Remington SPC

Post by Petrovich »

JJones wrote:
Petrofergov wrote:I guess the military is taking a look at 6.8mm as a possible upgrade to the M16?

I think the cartridge is too long for effective Concealed Carry.
Just a mite.
jualdeaux

Post by jualdeaux »

This type of post would be better answered b people at AR15.com.
Brian_Horton

Post by Brian_Horton »

Not to worry everyone. We are toying with the idea of opening new forums. Perhaps we will have a forum just for questions such as this in the future.
When the goin' gets tough, the tough go cyclic.

Happiness is a crew served weapon.
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

Brian_Horton wrote:Not to worry everyone. We are toying with the idea of opening new forums. Perhaps we will have a forum just for questions such as this in the future.
Not a bad idea Brian. Apparently some forum members get irritated when someone starts a thread that doesn't fit exactly into their expectations.

Me?.....I like variety. I'll gladly discuss anything from electrolytic bore cleaners to pop bottle rockets to Rockettes with pretty, long legs. :P
jualdeaux

Post by jualdeaux »

Petrofergov wrote:
Brian_Horton wrote:Not to worry everyone. We are toying with the idea of opening new forums. Perhaps we will have a forum just for questions such as this in the future.
Not a bad idea Brian. Apparently some forum members get irritated when someone starts a thread that doesn't fit exactly into their expectations.

Me?.....I like variety. I'll gladly discuss anything from electrolytic bore cleaners to pop bottle rockets to Rockettes with pretty, long legs. :P
if you are referring to me, I wasn't irritated. I just thought that there would be more people on the AR15 forums that would have more inforation on this topic.
Glock and dagger

Post by Glock and dagger »

A 6.8SPC reminds me of the .40SW. When the .40 come about, it was meant to be an intermediate round to supply Military/LEO personnel a round that hit more like a .45ACP, while possessing the high capacity of the 9mm.

The 6.8SPC was created as an intermediate round to supply the same types a round that could do what a .308 does, while supplying high capacity like the .223 does.

What does it all boil down to? Someone is trying to create a do-all weapon platform.
I'm Glock and Dagger and I approved this message.

"If it deprives just one citizen of their God-given rights, it's not worth it."
-evan price

FOOTOS... the Fresh Fighter
Willy P

Post by Willy P »

I have been looking at the new 6.8 with the thoughts that it would make an interesting single shot pistol round that could do better than my current 6.5 TCU does. The new five seven round in the FN pistol is pretty cool also. I've been looking into it but it seems to me to penetrate too well for a carry gun in populated areas. I've seen it in a bullpup/entry gun setup too and it rocked IMHO.
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

Petrofergov wrote:Me?.....I like variety. I'll gladly discuss anything from electrolytic bore cleaners to pop bottle rockets to Rockettes with pretty, long legs. :P
You'd better hope your wife isn't reading over your shoulder...
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
ZaijiaN

Post by ZaijiaN »

Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

My 6.8 SPC upper is ready at DPMS....All I gotta do is wait for friday to pay for it.

I've been reading up on it. Seems like it gets good marks from the end users, but military being the huge bureaucracy it is may, or may not go for it.

Even if it does get a full blessing, it will not become a replacement for the 5.56. It will become another option, the beauty of it being it will only require swapping out uppers and magazines.

I sent my colt in to be rebarreled with a carbine length 6.8 military taper barrel. The barrel, gas tube, handguards, bolt, labor and testfiring cost me 364 bucks. The old barrel (HB), gas tube, bolt and handguards are already sold for 150 bucks. I got my new upper for 214...not bad.

Now all I gotta do is get some dies and brass!
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

P4G wrote:Me?.....I like variety. I'll gladly discuss anything from electrolytic bore cleaners to pop bottle rockets to Rockettes with pretty, long legs.
jualdeaux wrote:if you are referring to me, I wasn't irritated. I just thought that there would be more people on the AR15 forums that would have more inforation on this topic.
I don't think P4G was referring to you. He was referring to the Rockettes. You don't have pretty long legs, do you...?
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.