Range Reports

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Brian D.

Re: Sig P320C review

Post by Brian D. »

pirateguy191 wrote:+P+ Do the recommend it?
Most firearms makers don't. Then again the owners manuals strongly advise not to keep a round in the chamber. Blah blah blah.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

Federal Hyda-Shoks? Move out of the 1980s and get some HSTs (or Speer Gold Dots). :P
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

Mr. Glock wrote:Federal Hyda-Shoks? Move out of the 1980s and get some HSTs (or Speer Gold Dots). :P
Agreed
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Morne wrote:
Mr. Glock wrote:Federal Hyda-Shoks? Move out of the 1980s and get some HSTs (or Speer Gold Dots). :P
Agreed
Pshaw. Good shot placement and random dumb luck play bigger roles than just which particular, newest and most improvedest hollow points you choose. And (Morne fo sho knows this) anybody who believes factory listed velocity as the truth, take your blinders off already! You'll need both eyes open when you buy and start using a chronograph.

********************************************************************************
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

Just found out that the municipality nearest to my rural country estate will be switching to the 320 for their police department issue guns. Apparently, the modular nature of it is quite a selling point for the cops. I can see how it would be nice for everyone to have the same "gun" but make it so the Chief and undercover guys sport the subcompacts while patrol cops have the carry/full size and whatever grip module works best for each of their hand size. :idea:
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

Morne wrote:Just found out that the municipality nearest to my rural country estate will be switching to the 320 for their police department issue guns. Apparently, the modular nature of it is quite a selling point for the cops. I can see how it would be nice for everyone to have the same "gun" but make it so the Chief and undercover guys sport the subcompacts while patrol cops have the carry/full size and whatever grip module works best for each of their hand size. :idea:

Pretty sure that's why the P250 was created also. That worked out well.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

The trigger on the 250 was a big hindrance, but the modular concept is pretty good though. A LEO department could say, You need to carry the 4" in 9mm, and the the individual officer can pick the frame that fits best.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

The trigger on the 320 is pretty nice.
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

Brian D. wrote:
Morne wrote:
Agreed
Pshaw. Good shot placement and random dumb luck play bigger roles than just which particular, newest and most improvedest hollow points you choose. And (Morne fo sho knows this) anybody who believes factory listed velocity as the truth, take your blinders off already! You'll need both eyes open when you buy and start using a chronograph.
I'm going to have to disagree....a little. I do agree with your general point, that all good premium JHP bullets will do a decent job and thus shot placement is critical.

However, when it comes to the Hydra-Shok, this does not apply, in the modern design sense.

The Hyda-Shok was a development directly related to the Miami 1986 shootout, and hit the market in 1988. The FBI rejected this round and went with the 10mm and the 40. Although the thing you are thinking in your head is true -yea, but we all know they blamed the 9mm rather than more relevant factors- the overall point is valid that the Hydra-Shok is not a modern bullet and, although a good round in 1988, time and things like CAD have passed it by.

You can't both say "The 9mm is a valid round today because of improved modern bullets" since the 1986 shootout and "The Hydra-Shok is one of those great modern bullets"
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Mr. Glock wrote:
I'm going to have to disagree....a little. I do agree with your general point, that all good premium JHP bullets will do a decent job and thus shot placement is critical.

However, when it comes to the Hydra-Shok, this does not apply, in the modern design sense.

The Hyda-Shok was a development directly related to the Miami 1986 shootout, and hit the market in 1988. The FBI rejected this round and went with the 10mm and the 40. Although the thing you are thinking in your head is true -yea, but we all know they blamed the 9mm rather than more relevant factors- the overall point is valid that the Hydra-Shok is not a modern bullet and, although a good round in 1988, time and things like CAD have passed it by.

You can't both say "The 9mm is a valid round today because of improved modern bullets" since the 1986 shootout and "The Hydra-Shok is one of those great modern bullets"
Sure I can. Heck, I still load my .45 Colt revolver with 225 grain Winchester Silvertips on the rare occasion defensive rounds are needed for that gun. Shot placement and random dumb luck. To sound more smarterer I call it The RDL Factor. All handgun rounds are a crap shoot at stopping people.

Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Besides, I'm pretty sure Hydra-Shoks have been revamped/redesigned/"improved" since intro.

Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Range Reports

Post by Javelin Man »

I just acquired a Sig P290 and am unimpressed so far. I am comparing it to my Kahr CM9 which is lighter and has a nicer smoother trigger. The Sig does have a nice stippled grip and comes with a 6 and 8 round magazine. It also comes with a paddle holster which doesn't really grip the gun.

Supposedly this is DAO, not striker fired. As you pull the long trigger, the hammer comes out the back and slams back in upon release of the trigger with a long trigger reset.

Of course, if I decide to sell this gun, it's the nicest pistol I've ever held and the extra weight in the slide is a super benefit to the gun and the paddle holster allows quick and easy release!
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Range Reports

Post by NavyChief »

Javelin Man wrote:Of course, if I decide to sell this gun, it's the nicest pistol I've ever held and the extra weight in the slide is a super benefit to the gun and the paddle holster allows quick and easy release!
:mrgreen:
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

STI Spartan III

Post by NavyChief »

Hit the range today with the STI Spartan III. Ran about 200 rounds through it - about 90 S&B 124-gr FMJ, 30 Federal 147-gr HP, 50 Estate (no idea - picked 'em up on close-out at MCSports going out of business sale) 115-gr FMJ, and 30 Federal 115-gr FMJ. It digested everything with exactly one hiccup - a failure to extract the third round of the second mag (the Federal 115-gr). All in all I'm well pleased with this dandy little pistol. Ran into one oddity though - the quicker I touched off the rounds the tighter my groups were. That makes no particular sense to me. Of course, overall I still suck - but all my rounds would hit the bad guy, so there is that.

Spartan III Spec's

(Picture is not my shooting)

Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: STI Spartan III

Post by TSiWRX »

NavyChief wrote:Ran into one oddity though - the quicker I touched off the rounds the tighter my groups were. That makes no particular sense to me. Of course, overall I still suck - but all my rounds would hit the bad guy, so there is that.
Don't sell yourself short. :)

That's a great observation, and I actually don't think that it's at all that odd.

I think that maybe by shooting faster, you're actually stopping yourself from overthinking the sight package while unconsciously reinforcing your grip (which, of-course, is huge, where it comes to recoil control). Inside the 15 yard line, that can actually make a noticeable difference in the group, assuming that your execution of the trigger path is consistent (which apparently it is). Oftentimes, given more time, we start to really hunt for that "perfect" or simply "better' sight picture even though we know better, and thus end up actually with a worse end-result than what we would otherwise be capable of.

To confirm, try shooting a cadence drill (those 2 x 5" target boxes, three on an 8 and 1/2 by 11 sheet of paper), and see if your groups don't actually tighten up as you start accelerating your pace.

But now that you know what you're doing wrong when you're shooting slower, I bet you can shoot better there, too, right? :wink: :)
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio