Range Reports

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

KlarkK

Smith & Wesson M&P 40c Compact

Post by KlarkK »

Recently shot 150 rounds through a box-new Smith & Wesson M&P 40c Compact.

This readily concealable .40S&W feels great in the hand, not only due to excellent balance and grip angle, but also because of the included three adjustable backstraps (S, M, and L) which you can change out in seconds without tools to accommodate your hand size.

The slide on this specimen retracts so easily that even those lacking great forearm strength can jack rounds without strain, though the ambidextrous slide release thumb lever came out of the box pretty crunchy, and after ten or so reps, my average-manly thumb was fatigued enough that I had to either use both thumbs to push the release down, or pull the slide back to release the tension, then release the slide with the weak hand.

Trigger pull is shorter than the Glock 26/7 by about .25". Compared to my ten-year-old Glock 22 trigger, which is liquid and silken, the brand new MP$) trigger is also a bit gritty; you can feel how new the polymer/metal interaction is. Having said that, the motion is consistent, predictable, and with the first finger pad pressing, produces nearly no incidental arc.

50 rounds of Winchester white box, and 100 Blazer FMJs produced zero malfunctions. Groups were within 3" at 15 feet from bench, 5" isoceles, and 6" one-hand-weak-hand; 4" bench at 25 feet, 5" isoceles, 7" oh-wh. Slightly looser than the full-sized Glock, but this from a 3.5" barrel, designed for CC.

Felt recoil is definitely softer than the G22, allowing faster flash-sight-picture recovery in rapid fire situations.

The three-dot sights are standard, and they are what they are (I prefer straight-8). As factory mounted they were accurate and secure, and stayed put through several dozen (triple-checked-unloaded) draw drills from an off-the-shelf close-nosed IWB.

A standard-ish slide-forward positioned takedown lever makes field stripping fast and simple, and the sear-deactivation lever improves safety by allowing takedown without requiring a trigger pull.

Especially clever detail: the slide rail mounting grooves are cut through the rear of the slide, which allows fouling build-up to jettison itself with each rearward slide movement.

Big bonus: pinkie-extended "dead-pedal" on one included magazine, butt-flush second included magazine (+ $50 promo rebate that includes 2 extra mags, one extended, one not, through January. Edit: both mags were extended.)

I don't doubt that with frequent practice, the trigger and slide release lever will break in to as smooth and fluid a feel as my trusty G22.

I am happy with my new choice of primary CC.

Edited: up to about 900 rounds now, and still no FFs, nor other mals. Trigger did break in, and doesn't have that crunchy, raw feel anymore. Has now happily eaten Win SXTs, Gold Dots, and HydraShocks. Used it to get my NRA Handgun Qualification level of Sharpshooter.
Last edited by KlarkK on Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jake
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

GLOCK 21 SF

Post by Jake »

GLOCK 21 SF

I've shot this gun moderately since I bought it.
Very accurate.

I was tinkering with my reloading recipe today and took 20 loads for verification, to the range.

Since the weather was NOT cooperating, I shot from under a pavilion with a roof over my head (25 yds).

I also used a bench rest for stability.

I pulled a few shots to the left, (bad trigger pull) but also had quite a few dead on bulls eyes.

Trigger pull is a tad long.

The grip fits my hand very well. I have medium sized hands in my opinion.

I've carried it concealed moderately as well.

I was using an Uncle Mikes knock off for IWB, but recently purchased a Fobus Paddle (rotating) for OWB and I really like that. * Edit to ad...I've been using a Glock Sport/Combat OWB Holster that is great!

I bought the version with the pickatinny. If you can, I suggest getting the standard rail for ease of holster choices.

It's a full sized gun, so it's obviously different than carrying a G19 or G26.

Reasonably conceals with cold weather clothes (slightly over sized sweatshirt/jacket).
Last edited by Jake on Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Hope for the Best. Plan for the Worst.

http://www.salemhuntingclub.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-loca ... -reps.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
McM

Post by McM »

Jake...your G21SF, or did I miss something?
Not one of the " 'more-equal animals' ".

Hippies make me laugh. Bleeding hippies make me laugh REALLY HARD! -Morne
Jake
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Jake »

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:44 pm Post subject: GLOCK 21 SF
Yeah...ya missed something.
:wink:

http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-loca ... -reps.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
McM

Post by McM »

Post subject?/ We don't need no stinkin' post subjects... :)
Not one of the " 'more-equal animals' ".

Hippies make me laugh. Bleeding hippies make me laugh REALLY HARD! -Morne
Brian D.

CZ-82, 9x18 Makarov caliber

Post by Brian D. »

CZ-82, 9x18 Makarov caliber.

Hello. Thought I'd do a range report since we've been discussing the CZs and somewhat similar Makarov pistols. The CZ-82 is a 12 shot, double/single action semiauto. Ambidextrous 'cocked and locked' type safety on the frame, instead of a decocking lever on the slide like Makarovs. Otherwise the CZs and Maks are somewhat alike mechanically and in size.

These CZs feature decent sights that are adjustable for windage. Good double action trigger pull, lighter than many other guns of its type. And it can be safely carried in single action mode, giving the user an even better trigger to work with.

Rifling in the barrel is shallow and polygonal. It looks almost like a smoothbore inside, but the rifling imparts good accuracy with the various jacketed ammo I've tried. The gun is light enough to be toted easily but heavy enough to soak up recoil.

AIM Surplus in Middletown, along with many retailers, has these guns in stock at the moment, and the current ones are virtually in new condition. They come with two magazines, a lather flap holster, and a cleaning rod, for about $210+ tax, and shipping or transfer fee.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Strider

Springfield-Armory Loaded Champion

Post by Strider »

The Springfield-Armory PX9149LP Loaded Champion in 45ACP is a commander sized 1911 that just plain works. I purchased mine new almost 3 years ago at Vance's in Columbus Ohio. Since then I have fired nearly 2,100 (*) rounds through it with no failures recorded due to the firearm's engineering. After all this time I can state that it has proven very rugged, reliable, reasonably accurate in my novice hands and downright fun to shoot.

The Champion comes with a 4 inch ramped bull barrel. The frame is aluminum, the slide is forged steel topped with 3-dot tritium sights. It comes in stainless, mine (below) has the Armory Kote finish in black & OD. I can easily and comfortably carry it concealed in an OWB holster. When I think back to my old, all steel, 70s series Colt Combat Commander, the weight difference is very noticable.

It also came with an ambidextrous thumb-safety. That has been replaced since I prefer lasergrips on my 1911s (LG401 pictured but not included). The only part of the design I dislike is the dual-spring guide rod. Only because take down requires a little piece of easy-to-lose plastic guide rod capture. The stock guide rod can be changed out with a fitted active-reverse plug, if one is so inclined. So far I'm hesitant to alter something that isn't broke. I've fed my Champ many different makes of 45ACP over the last couple of years, it eats them all and spits them out with every trigger pull. It seems to prefer Magtech's 230g FMJ or PMC's 230g TCJ.

Does it hold 1 inch groups at 25 yards? I've never tried and I doubt it would measure up to that standard, nor do I care. It's not made to compete with full-sized handguns at long range. This model is built for combat and self defense concealment where gun fights take place at 7 yards or less. However, I use 8 round Wilson Combat magazines and can do 8 out of 8 into the head of a bad guy silhouette target up to 50 feet from weaver stance ... and that's good enough for me.

Bottomline: the Springfield Loaded Champion is an excellent carry piece!

{Resized to TOS specifications (640x480 max) - jabeatty}

(*)update accuracy of round count 4.19.2008
Last edited by Strider on Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend" J.R.R. Tolkien
Jake
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Jake »

I like the CT grip. Fine looking gun!

Redfestiva

Post by Redfestiva »

Strider that is a terrific 45!
Brian D.

Springfield Armory XD-45 4" Service Model .45acp

Post by Brian D. »

Springfield Armory XD-45 4" Service Model, .45acp.

Hello. Over the weekend I couldn't help myself and bought a VERY low mileage XD-45. Private sale, it came with two 13 rd. magazines and the holster/magazine pouch/mag loader goodies included. Looks virtually unfired.

Getting most of the "bad news" out of the way first, this one has the Dark Earth color frame, which makes the black and O.D. green variants look almost pretty by comparison. But that just isn't very important to me.

It really seems to shoot accurately, no trouble hitting a 6" round steel plate on demand at 25yds. offhand. Reliability through 150+ rounds has been perfect. The grip frame, while longer and perhaps harder to conceal than, say, that of a Glock 20/21, seems slightly skinnier than that of the other polymer frame double-stack big bores on today's market. And this .45 acp version is only very slightly larger in overall dimensions than the 9mm and .40 variants of the XDs.

Had wondered whether the grip safety feature would be a problem, but through several fast handling drills--including a few strong or weak hand only strings--this was a non-issue.

For the time being I'm using an Uncle Mike's kydex paddle holster for range work, and yesterday I picked up a Don Hume PCCH inside-the-waistband rig for concealment duties. Also purchased two three packs of spare magazines w/dual mag pouches from a dealer at the gun show. Think this is/was something that Springfield Armory provides on certain XD "package deals", but apparently this vendor sells them seperately. In any event $50 for three magazines seemed inexpensive enough to splurge a bit.

Now for one other personal pique: In my opinion the factory belt slide holster and magazine pouches are less than wonderful, okay for casual range work perhaps. And the magazine loader gizmo just doesn't seem neccessary, all of my mags accepted 13 rounds with very little effort right out of the box. Perhaps it's no coincidence I see stacks and stacks of that gear gathering dust at Target World and other stores.

Sorry, thought that needed to be said.

********************************************************************************
WBL_2006

Post by WBL_2006 »

It really seems to shoot accurately, no trouble hitting a 6" round steel plate on demand at 25yds.
The most impressive part of your review by far.
I would think that would be a function of the operator as well!

Makes me think I need to move targets out a bit farther.....

WBL
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Well WBL, it was offhand but not rapid fire, and I quit doing that drill after about six hits in a row. 'Good man knows his limitations', as Dirty Harry said. :wink:

Scavok

Post by Scavok »

Brian D. wrote:Well WBL, it was offhand but not rapid fire, and I quit doing that drill after about six hits in a row. 'Good man knows his limitations', as Dirty Harry said. :wink:
[nit picker]

That's a paraphrase. The actual quote is:

A man's got to know his limitations. -- Magnum Force (1973)

[/nit picker]
My sig line violated TOS so now it is gone...
jabeatty

Post by jabeatty »

Scavok wrote:That's a paraphrase.
The quote itself...
--
Someone edited my signature and deleted my posts, and all I got was... this edited signature.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

At another point in the movie Eastwood says to Hal Holbrook: "You're a good man, Lieutenant, and a good man always knows his limitations"*.

*Not verbatim but close. Remember, for it to be a Dirty Harry tagline he has to say it more than once in the flick.

Can we get back to doing Range Reports now? There ought to be some new blasters in this group since the holidays just ended. Write 'em up.