Range Reports

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Brian D.

Re: Range Reports

Post by Brian D. »

Arcus Model 94 two tone 9mm pistol Been wanting to pick one of these up for quite a spell. They are a Bulgarian made knockoff of the Browning Hi Power, albeit a bit blockier with regards to the slide and trigger guard. (The former is squared off and a little heavy, the latter is squared off and slightly bigger than the ones found on Browings and other HP "clones".)

Anyhow I bought this thing from an individual at a gunshow last weekend, he had a few guns for sale at fair prices. When he told me the magazine disconnect safety gizmo had been removed by a previous owner, and this caused no functioning issues, I was hooked.

Finish on the gun is black over hardchrome of some kind on the frame. The safety is single sided but the same size and shape as the ambi units found on later Brownings. Completely useable for me. The as-issued rubber wraparound fingergroove grips had to go, for two reasons:

1) The grooves don't fit my fingers, not even close.
2) More importasntly when the grip screws are tighetened down all the way, the grips bulge into the frame enough that magazines are tough to insert, and near onto impossible to remove. Not acceptable!

Fortunately I had some spare wood two piece stocks laying around with no BHP to put them on, so this Arcus got a cosmetic upgrade. Actually the grips are on the thin side and feature some decent checkering, to me they are about perfect.

Ran over 100 rounds of fmj and hollowpoint ammo thru the gun on Sunday, so far it's flawless. Due to the good trigger it even seemed to turn in good 20 yard slowfire groups, which is not a given anymore with my 50 year old eyeballs.

The gun seems to fit the leather holsters I already use for 1911's and BHPs, so it will join my carry rotation pretty soon.

If you are a fan of single action cocked-and-locked semiautos but don't want to break the bank acquiring (another) one, I'd suggest keeping an eye peeled for one of these on the used market.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
BigBill

Post by BigBill »

My first Ruger 10/22

I picked up a Talo composite stock Tactical model that came with a BX 25 round magazine.
I added 2 more mags, a Tasco 3-9 x 32 scope, quick bolt release, and a sling all before I even fired it once.
Love the feel of the adjustable stock. It came with some tactical mounting rails.
I took it to the range today to sight in the scope. I ran a target out to 25 ft to see where the newly mounted scope started... five shots made one ragged dime size hole about 3.5" below the center of the bullseye. Dial it up and take another five shots - that moved the POI about 1" - raise it some more and I am getting close.
At this point I run the target out to 75 ft and send ten rounds out to make a 1" group, just right of dead center. A few clicks later and I am tearing a new, nicely centered hole out of the paper. NICE! I put five dime size dots on the target and took it back out to 75 ft and placed several five shot groups on or touching each dot.

1) Why did I wait so long to put one of these nice rifles in my modest collection?
2) With all the available optional accessories, what should I add or change next?

The trigger is smooth, but seemed a little heavy. I won't lighten it until I have put 1000 or more rounds through it. I believe it will loosen up with time.

All mags functioned perfectly no FTF or FTE in 200 shots. Blazer bulk was today's ammo.
If you don't stand for something, You'll fall for anything.
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Springfield XD9Sc (redux)

Post by NavyChief »

OK, so I did a range report on an XD9Sc quite some time ago. Since then, that XD got traded for a Glock G20 I couldn't live without, which got sold to fund an AR I couldn't live without, which got traded for - wait for it... - an XD9Sc Bi-Tone. Sigh. Anywho, I thought it might be worth revisiting my overall impressions of this much maligned handy little pistol. What follows are my range notes since getting it back in September:
9/14 (68 rounds WWB) Sigh. Why exactly did I get rid of the last XD9Sc I had? Right from the get-go all rounds on paper, and many two and three shot groups could easily be covered with a half-dollar. One thing I did notice is that not all the mag’s want to drop free on their own. May have to look into that.
9/15 (100 rds WWB, 15 rds Federal) Didn’t do quite as well as last night, but still shot it better than I have typically been shooting the M&P9c.

I am (for now) carrying this as my EDC with one 13-rnd (+1) mag and a 16-rnd spare.
10/13 (50 rds Federal) Today’s result were – uhmm – less than awe inspiring. This, despite a 100-rnd warm-up through the Huntsman and 50 rounds through the 3913. Oh well. All the rounds went in the right direction, and many even hit the target. Oh – and it’s no longer the EDC; it may go back in the rotation, but not until I get some night sights on it – for now the EDC is the G19.
11/10 (50 rds Federal) Just burned up ammo – forgot to take targets. Sigh.
12/4 (60 rds Federal) OK, I’ve pretty much abandoned the pure isosceles stance, and shot placement is improved. Lord knows I’ve given it a fair shake – it just doesn’t work for me. Perhaps if I’d not spent so many years in a modified Weaver… I’m also back to putting my weak hand index finger over the front of the trigger guard. Again, I suspect just too many years of bad habit to overcome. Oh well – whatever works. I’m not going for IPSC Grand Master, just “minute of bad guy.”
So. For me, the XD9Sc is definitely a worthwhile gun. I'll be doing a thorough cleaning tonight, and I'm going to try to resolve the issue of the mag's not dropping free. I suspect it has something to do with the Pearce pinky extension base plates that are on three of the mag's - the fourth flush fit I have doesn't exhibit that problem. If the regular base plates work fine, expect to see some Pearce XD pinky extension base plates in the F/S forum soon. I still have every intention of getting a set of night sights on this thing, just not sure how soon funding will permit it...

Here's the thing. I much prefer the "sleekness" of my M&P. I love the "feel" of my S&W 3rd Gen. The Glock has just a certain "pointability" in my hands. The XD looks clunky, doesn't feel right, and points poorly. And yet I shoot it better than anything I've had besides a Sig P226 (which also, by the way, felt terrible in my hands).

Edit to add:

OK - put the OEM base plates on the mag's. "Drop free" problem solved. Yes, I'm sure with just a wee bit of determination and inventiveness I could make the Pearces work for me. But quite honestly the whole pinky extension thing really isn't something I care about one way or another. And yeah, it's my EDC again.
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Sig Sauer P238, the sequel...

Back in summer of 2010 I bought a Sig Sauer .380 pistol, the model P238. Was fond of it in most ways, but regretted that at that time they were not offered with an ambidextrous safety lever. My intent was mostly to carry the gun as a BUG, on the weak (left) side in a front pocket rig. Without the ambi safety, I couldn't get comfortable with condition one carry, and any other way just didn't suit this cocked and locked guy. So it got sold off.

Flash forward a couple years and Sig introduced a 9mm version of the gun, the P938. From the get go, those have been offered with ambi's. Somewhere in that time period, Sig gave the P238 that same feature, although not all now come that way, it's an option. Anyhow I saw a pretty good deal on a low-miles used 238 this week, and oh, ho, this one had two levers! Price was right and gun looked virtually unfired...so, a deal was struck.

Today I had a chance to get it to the range and am happy to report it functions flawlessly so far. (Even managed to find my extra mags from the previously owned P238.) About half my shooting was done weak hand only, went so far as to deliberately held the gun kinda loose for a magazine full, no problems.

I'm not picky about colors, this one happens to be the aptly named 'Blackout' variant. One more uneventful range session and this thing becomes my number one BUG* choice.

* "Back Up Gun"--most of you knew this already. 8)

********************************************************************************
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Browning Hi-Power, .40S&W

Post by NavyChief »

A little history on this particular Hi-Power first. As you can see from the pictures below, this doesn't look quite like a fresh outta the dealer's case Hi-Power. I've paraphrased what the previous owner told me:
I had the Hi-Power work done by Bob Cogan of Accurate Plating and Weaponry ( http://www.apwcogan.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) to include porting, fiber optic sights and hard chrome. He is a very capable smith. Not only does it look nice on the outside, but its internal workings have received substantial attention also. The action on the Hi-Power is as crisp as a 1911. The Hi-Power has Navridex thin grips.

OK, so I pretty much sucked (more on this below). I’d say I hit the target maybe half the time. But doggone was it fun to shoot. The fiber optic sights are an absolute joy to use. I do think I preferred the “hybrid” set-up the SIG I had used though – i.e., a TFO out front, conventional night sights rear. The recoil spring is incredibly stiff. I do think anyone with arthritis would probably have a tough time with it. The safety is somewhat difficult to engage (for me) with a full mag (dunno – is this an HP issue everyone in the world is familiar with but me? – it’s certainly easy enough to operate empty), but quite easy to disengage – but not so easy one would inadvertently swipe it off. And it snaps off with a very satisfying – well – snap. The trigger is wonderful. While familiar with the phrase “breaks like a glass rod,” I’d never had any hands-on experience – I now have knowledge of just what that really means. The trigger is not without disappointment though. Perhaps due to my many years of running almost exclusively striker-fired pistols (the one exception being a SIG Blackwater Tactical with SRT) the full-release reset for the trigger was a bit of a surprise and, I daresay, a let down. However, again, I must emphasize this is the first time I’ve ever fired an HP, so perhaps this is also the norm. About the porting. I now officially want this on ALL my pistols. (Well, I would anyway if they hadn’t all been lost in an unfortunate boating accident.) Both felt recoil and muzzle rise were negligible. Felt recoil was probably not as stiff as with a 9mm sub-compact, if that. Muzzle rise was maybe an inch with a firm grip. I was able to re-acquire my sight picture in nothing flat. I am now a “true believer.” Oh – and that blinding flash that obscures your sight? …uhmm, never noticed it.

Now, I promised to come back to the fact I sucked. I have never made any claim to being any better than average even on a good day. But I’ll freely admit today’s range session left me more than a little discouraged. I was willing to attribute this to: a) unfamiliarity with the platform, or; b) having shot nothing but 9mm for a number of years, or; c) maybe just having a bad day (hey – it happens even to us average shooters), or; d) either all of the above or some combination of some of the above. Howsomever, there is now a fifth possibility to entertain: the sights. Yeah, yeah, I know – a common refrain: “I dunno Bub, I think the sights must be off on this here thing.” Well, as the pictures below will attest, the sights really ARE off. I swear they didn’t look like that when I headed out to the range. When they started drifting, I have no idea. I do know the first two mag’s went more or less where I was aiming. I actually didn’t notice this until I was taking a few pictures of the HP for this range report. So while I’m still willing to accept my share of the blame for my abysmal performance, I now think perhaps I needn’t carry all the responsibility.

All in all, this will be a keeper. Will it ever become an EDC? Probably not. But I guess ya’ just never know – especially if I get the sight issue resolved. But at the very least it probably will get out to play somewhat regularly. Who knows – maybe I’ll run it at Fun’n’Gun just for the heck of it.

Edit to add:

I guess no range report is complete without an ammo recap - 50 rounds WWB 180-gr FMJ, 4 rounds Horandy XTP 155-gr JHP, 5 rounds Winchester PDX-1 165-gr JHP. And both flavors of social ammo were even easier shooting than the range ammo.

Update as of 4/4/2013:

OK, so the sight issue is (I believe) taken care of. A local ‘smith very lightly peened the underside of the front sight and drifted it back in. One hundred rounds later it is still holding quite well. Now, how is your reviewer doing with it? Well, all the rounds are going in the right (i.e., safe) direction. That’s about all I can say for my performance. I am consistently shooting it slightly left and generally 6-8” low at 9-10 yards. I say I am shooting it left and low, not the gun is shooting left and low. Why? Because if I really sloooow down, take my time with sight alignment and trigger press the rounds go about where I mean for them to. This is not a gun that I can play “hurry up” with. Perhaps several hundred rounds from now I might be able to, but not yet. I will also add that I can now discern the trigger reset. It is not as pronounced as the various "plastic guns" that have passed through my hands, but it's definitely there.
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

Great report -- very cool and good lookin' gun!

Myself, man, I've just never warmed up to fiber-optic sights or TFO's. I would look at that as an opportunity to have a proper set of Trijicons or Mepro's installed by a gunsmith.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

Sevens wrote: Myself, man, I've just never warmed up to fiber-optic sights or TFO's. I would look at that as an opportunity to have a proper set of Trijicons or Mepro's installed by a gunsmith.
Never know - but I really liked the TFO front/siglight rear setup that was on the Blackwater Tactical I had. I may look at doing something like that.
Jarhead6012

Post by Jarhead6012 »

Well my wife and I went to our local range Saturday and broke in her new Walther PPX. I have to say that is a very nice gun, shoots nice, accurate, and easy to handle.
jeep45238

Glock Sights, 22 Kit

Post by jeep45238 »

Did some shopping today, and one of the things I snagged up was a set of night sights for my Glock 23.

I typically hate night sights, especially if the rear sight isn't black. However, due to past experiences, I was on the hunt for a set of Ameriglow Hackathorns. I wasn't in luck - I found something even better though. Trijicon HD Night sights are AWESOME. They offer a much clearer sight picture than traditional night sights, and have subdued rear tritium tubes. The front sight has a much larger tube, and and runs a large colored ring around the tube. Mine is orange, though yellow is available. The color is also a luminecint, and it pops in bright light.

That said, due to the front sight design, it pops in all light conditions - precisely what I was after for a carry pistol. The rear sight is a large and deep U shaped notch, which makes front sight acquisition extremely fast and easy. Not only did I get faster target acquisition over the stock sights, but groups were smaller, and follow ups were faster.

I would highly recommend them. Snagged them from Kyle's over in Finnytown for $140.

Better pictures than what I can get:
http://pistol-training.com/archives/4321" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't quite buy the whole 'sights cutting time off hammer drills' part, but it does make the initial acquisition quicker. Additionally, I probably got such an improvement because it's been about 9 months since I've been able to really tickle a trigger.

The Advantage Arms conversion kit, had a few teething issues, but that's common with conversion kits. I also didn't have any high velocity ammo, which the kit needs, so I'm sure that was part of the problem. I'll be putting the same sight set on the conversion kit soon. I'm extremely pleased with the kit.
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

S&W 3913TSW & 5906TSW

Post by NavyChief »

OK, this is going to be just a "first impressions" sort of mini-report. I finally raised the funds to pick up the phenomenal deal a coworker was offering for some low-mileage Smiths - a 3913TSW and a 5906TSW. He picked them up years ago and promptly put them in his safe where they've languished ever since. Although he's a retired LEO, like many he's not really a "gun guy" so he really didn't care about them one way or another - they were simply a means for him to raise some money for his daughter's tuition. I, on the other hand, have long had a fascination with 3rd Gen S&Ws - dunno why - just do. Anyhow, picked 'em up this past Tuesday. Today the weather cooperated in the late afternoon, so I was able to make my way to the range.

Oh my. I like. I like a lot. Typically when I get new toys like this I determine they're fun, but figure they'll never be much more than range toys. Not so these. As soon as a little more funding is raised for holsters I suspect these will become EDCs.

In my hands, these are the most natural shooters I think I've ever had the pleasure of shooting. I started off with 30 rounds of Federal 115-gr FMJ through the 3913TSW. I had a couple rounds off the plate, but after that they all went pretty much where I meant for them to. I then put 50 rounds of Blazer Brass 115-gr FMJ through the 5906TSW. Perhaps because it really doesn't feel much different in the hand I had absolutely no "mystery rounds," and in fact had several 50¢-size groups. This in spite of the rather long trigger pull for the first shot. Trigger reset for subsequent shots was both very short and very discernible. I am pleased. I am very pleased.

Follow-up (8/19):
Yet another range trip, yet more pleasure with these, particularly the 5906. From some posts over at S&W forums I'm beginning to think the 3913 might actually be shooting low - not just me. Next trip I'll take some sort of bench setup so I can accurately test that theory. The 5906 I find wants to just come up and shoot - I actually do better with simply draw/present/flash-sight-picture/shoot than taking my time. And yes, this is now my EDC. Yes, it has a bit of weight to it. But it also gives me the comfort of knowing I can put rounds on target quickly.

The quest for the perfect holster continues - a task further exacerbated by: a) the fact it's the railed version, and; b) the fact many makers simply don't have molds for the older S&W 3rd Gen's. I do have a guy here in town that made me up some kydex holsters for both of them, and I'll be doing a review on those over in Gear Review soon.
ArmedAviator

Post by ArmedAviator »

GSG 1911

I picked up a used GSG 1911 from a local member a few weeks ago. Many have complained on the internet about the GSG's unecissarily stiff grip safety. Sadly, the reports are well founded. I don't have small hands and I have had trouble with this grip safety sometimes not engaging enough to pull the trigger, even with a very tight grip.

I remedied the grip safety problem by removing the sear spring and replacing it with the factory sear spring my from 1911R1. A few quick bends to set the spring tension that I wanted for my trigger pull and that was fixed. I have to maintain an unnatural grip on the GSG.

The factory trigger pull was fairly smooth and crisp. You can't beat it in a $300 1911, een if it is a .22LR. I did a trigger job on it anyway to make it even better. Interestingly, the slide felt difficult to operate through a certain point and I narrowed it down to the disconnect. The disconnect was about .015" too long. I resized and cleaned it up and it functions much more easily and operates properly.

One other qualm I had with the GSG 1911 was the magazine safety. Sure it's not something you're going to use for self defense, but wanted this GSG to operate as similar as possible to my EDC 1911. I removed the magazine safety, which only took about 1 minute and was part of the trigger job anyway. Just remove two pieces on the mainspring housing and it's done.

Shooting the GSG 1911

The operation of the GSG 1911 is no different than a standard 1911. Pull slide back, engage slide stop, load in magazine, release slide stop, thumb safety on, and finally holster.

The GSG 1911 fits in any 1911 holster since it has standard dimensions.

When it came to firing the GSG, it was a blast! The first shot from a .22LR pistol always cracks me up. It's just lacking all the recoil you expect after shooting the big, bad .45ACP.

I shot about 150 rounds of Federal Value bulk .22LR and had not a single failure of any kind. Seriously, zero issues.

My only two complaints now are the sights, which are just bright yellow plastic inserts and the thumb safety size. The sights are to be expected, on a $300 .22LR 1911. The ambidextrous thumb safety is just too big for my liking. The good news is both the sights and the thumb safety can be swapped out using standard 1911 parts! Will I change them? I may change the thumb safety, but the sights work well enough for a fun range .22.

What about accuracy?

Accuracy was better than I had expected. The GSG 1911 comes with three front sight posts. You can change them out to change the height of POI. I left the one installed that I got it with. I was getting about 3" groups of 10 at 20 feet, freehand. I'm sure the gun could have done better. I was having more fun just popping off ammo quickly and not breaking th bank.

Final Thoughts

My only concern with the future of this GSG is the poor quality coating on it. It comes off easily. So far this one is in good condition with only a few wear spots, but many online complain about it. But hey, it's a $300 .22 and Duracoat will fix the issue when it does wear off more.

I plan on hanging onto this gun for a long time. It'll be perfect for new shooters or for me showing others how a 1911 operates without spending the money for .45ACP until they are ready for it.

If you're looking for a cheap .22 or a cheap 1911 for fun or for improving techniques, this is a great great buy!

By the way, GSG makes the Sig Sauer 1911-22s, so if you're looking at those don't spend the extra money for the name. They are the same thing anyway.
Good luck and stand fast, true Patriots.
TDwin
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

With over 4,600 through my GSG1911-22, a couple bits I've picked up that may assist you...

You are correct about the finish, it's got no ability. For the price & the amount of wear I've put on it (and hope to continue), I kind of think it fits and I like it. I won't ever re0finish or 'Duracoat' this pistol, I will let the fact that it looks like HELL be a badge of pride! :P

Accuracy: you'll notice that if you do a full field-strip that includes removing the barrel, the pistol will need/take/require or simply 'enjoy' 30 to 50 rounds of shooting upon re-assembly to finalize it's "accuracy" and consistency. I wasn't surprised by this, even if it is an annoyance. One good thing is that even though it gets quite dirty, I limit field strips to about an 800-1000 round count interval now. As it runs fine dirty, I don't see the point in taking it apart.

Also on accuracy -- the fixed sights are replaceable to adjust elevation and slide-able to adjust windage, but be EXTREMELY careful as both the sights and the slide are extremely cheap and easily damaged. Do not overtighten and do not expect quality from the sights that exceed the price point. I may present this as a negative, but don't take it that way, but more of a caution. I have a difficult time complaining about this pistol, it's already given a better life than I might have expected and it's a joy to shoot.

This last bit was more helpful a year ago... but: check JoeBob's for a new mag follower that allows FOURTEEN rounds of .22 in your magazines.
http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/JoeBob_ ... llower.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Big improvement in fun here, but with rimfire as it is today...ouch. This "upgrade" has a couple of pitfalls that I won't go in to at the moment, but I wouldn't go back.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
Brian D.

Beretta Model 92G

Post by Brian D. »

Beretta Model 92G, 9mm parabellum

Been looking for either a 92 or 96 'G' variant for several years. (The model 96 is in .40 S&W caliber.) On these guns the slide-mounted decocking lever is spring loaded, and cannot be employed as a manual safety. So, you push the lever down to decock the hammer, then the lever springs back up.

Beretta never offered these for non-LEO sales, unlike the other versions of the 92/96 series. So, no new ones to buy. And in the trade-in market, the ones I'd see were almost always...well, they looked like they'd been dragged down a gravel road. One time at Ohio Gun Collectors a fellow had a very nice one, but he thought way too much of the thing, price tag of almost $800.

So, yesterday found me at the Springfield Ohio gun show. One non-FFL tableholder I've dealt with before always has some interesting handguns, with decent prices. He likes to turn over his inventory, not drag the same guns all over the place for weeks on end I guess. Anyhow I spotted the Beretta, thankfully he labels things quite legibly, I'd likely have missed the fact it was a 92G. So, a deal was struck and off to the range I went.

Others seem to disagree but I've always found the Beretta 92's to be reasonably accurate, maybe for some the double action/single action transition throws them off a bunch. It is something that's not overcome without effort. This 92G did very well out to 25 yards, if I did my part.

I really am a cocked and locked, single action semiauto guy at my core, but have a certain nostalgic fondness for the Beretta 92/96 guns. The day I picked up my initial Ohio CHL back in 2004, it was a 92FS that got holstered up just down the road from the sheriff's office. Mainly because it was the gun I was headed to the range to work with that day, but still, whenever I trade one away for something else I know it won't be my last Beretta.

Brian D.

Smith & Wesson M&P pistol, .22 long rifle

Post by Brian D. »

Smith and Wesson M&P pistol, .22 long rifle

Hello. My newest acquisition is the above. It's the same size as its centerfire cousins, and operates about the same too. You can only get the .22 version in black, and they all come with ambidextrous safety paddles (which can be removed I think), and a magazine disconnect "safety" inside. Not sure if that can be disabled, haven't torn the gun down that far yet.

It has adjustable sights which, while not robust looking, are fine for a target/practice pistol. After dialing them in I used a drop of loctite on the set screw, it's probably a very good idea. The gun has operated perfectly from the first shot until now, maybe 500 rounds later. Reasonably accurate, too.

Airbrush Artist

Post by Airbrush Artist »

If anyone needs or wants a inexpensive, reliable ,Accurate $230 Handgun maybe this will help -SCCY CPX-2 Lifetime warranty, a Amazing firearm, I'm really Impressed. I started out at 20ft. ended at 40 ft. -NO FTF or FTE...https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hph ... 7113_n.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;