Range Reports

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

curmudgeon3

Re: Range Reports

Post by curmudgeon3 »

Funny,just over the Ohio line in Mercer, PA the winds were very mild yesterday, say, about 10mph; no effect on the .223 55gr at 300 yds.
The range is in the middle of the woods though, so the trees help by blocking some of the wind. (Rained all day.)
Guitarman3366

Sig Sauer SP2022

Post by Guitarman3366 »

Sig Sauer Pro Series 2022
Purchase Date: October 2011
Purchased new off of gunbroker.com for the incredible price of $299. ($375 after tax, shipping and FFL transfer)
This gun has had 300 rounds of Remington UMC 115gr 9mm fired through it.

I really had no prior interest in the Sig Pro pistols before I purchased this, but the price was right so I jumped on the gun. My first impressions of the gun were that it looked good, felt good, had great sights, but the trigger was long. At first, the trigger wasn’t so smooth either, but after a good cleaning and about 200 dry-fire trigger pulls, it became noticeably better.

I took it to the range for the first time and fired about 150 rounds trough it with my dad, who is a long-time Sig Sauer owner. The gun shot well, but required a little bit of a break in. In the first several magazines, the rounds were all over the paper and the slide failed to lock back on an empty magazine. However, it was like flipping a switch, and the groupings got much tighter. We also had a P-226 chambered in .40 for comparison, and they were shooting equally impressive groups.

I took the gun home for cleaning and noticed that the gun is easy to break down, similar to a H&K USP or 1911, where the slide release is also used to take the slide off. At first, I didn’t like this, but it is easy enough to do on the 2022. The gun is easy to clean and lube. There seems to be a little bit of wriggle in the slide when assembled unlike the P-226, but this is probably due to smaller and shorter rails. The shorter rails are still bigger that a Glock and don’t seem to have much effect on accuracy or function.

The trigger is, as stated earlier, long, but smooth. I believe Sig Sauer lists the pull as 10lb DA and 4.5lb SA. I have no complaints about the long trigger pull because the trigger reset seems to be pretty short (shorter than my EDC XD9 and XD40SC). The control levers are easy to manipulate and smooth. Serrations on the slide are similar to the P-Series Sigs, but are spaced out a little more. The grip is fantastic. It is similar to a stick-on sand paper type grip, but better. I don’t think I would like it rubbing on my bare skin under a shirt, but I think it is exceptionally grippy. The 2022 came with two backstraps, one larger than the other, but both felt good to me and are easy enough to interchange. The sights are the basic contrast sights, but I noticed that the dots are much larger than most factory sights. I like them a lot.

The magazine included with the pistol is made by MacGar and includes a piece similar to a pinky-extension. I cannot say that I am a fan of the magazine. It doesn’t seem to operate as smoothly as the P-Series Sigs or other big manufacturers magazines like Springfield or Glock.

On its second trip to the range another 150 rounds were fired with very pleasing results. I have included pictures with captions:

The Sig Pro 2022 as it comes in a nice plastic case, with extra backstrap, papers, and lock.

Side profile showing the controls, which are easy to use and smooth. This gun does not say "FRAME MADE IN GERMANY" like older Sig Pros, this gun was made completly in Exiter, NH.

Top profile of the gun. Notice the loaded chamber indicator.

The other side.

Field stripped. Polymer guide rod.

Hammer and BIG dot sights.

7 Yards

7 Yards

10 Yards

About 20 Yards

All in all, a great gun for the money. As many have said, the Sig Pro is one of the most underrated pistols in production.
Ron Paul 2012
Orochimaru

Rock Island Armory 1911A1 FS Tactical

Post by Orochimaru »

The Rock Island Armory line of firearms are actually made by Armscor in the Philippines. They make several varieties of 1911's in a variety of calibers.

The variety I'm reviewing is:
45 ACP
5" Barrel
Parkerized Finish
Single-stack (8 round) magazine
"FS Tactical" model (windage-adjustable sights)

When I got it, it was absolutely swimming in factory lubrication/preservation oil. It made my Ruger SR9c (which I thought was oily at the time) look dry! After an initial tear-down and cleaning, it was ready for a run to the range.

My initial outing with this firearm produced less than impressive results -- to the point of triggering significant frustration and buyer's remorse. It was misfeeding on a regular basis, even with the most basic 230 grain round-nose factory ammunition. When it did fire, it was consistently shooting low and to the left. Good groups -- just low and to the left. While it had improved during the course of the initial 300-400 rounds, it was hardly what I would consider reliable.

Some research and assistance from a forum dedicated to this weapon revealed that these are notorious for arriving with overly tight extractors. The extractor tension adjustment on a 1911 is a very simple procedure. The snugness of the fit of *everything* in this weapon made it surprisingly difficult (and time consuming) to make the initial adjustment. I also drifted the rear sight (another tight fit, incidentally) in an attempt to compensate for the windage issues. The sights are not elevation adjustable (a negative, in my opinion), so I was somewhat limited on what I could do with a weapon that is firing low. Filing the front sight is not an easily reversible operation, and I was aware that the gun's point of impact might move as parts "break in." Instead of filing, I computed the "correct" front sight height and painted a dot on the sight where it "should" be. A follow-up trip to the range revealed improvement on both fronts. Point of impact had moved in the right direction, and jamming was reduced (although not eliminated).

The following group was shot after one sight adjustment and one extractor adjustment:
The green dot represents where the group was prior to sight adjustment.

A subsequent windage adjustment on the rear sight and a lowering of the painted "dot" produced an acceptable grouping and a second loosening of the extractor corrected all remaining feed issues. I also purchased a Wilson 47D magazine as a second magazine. In various conversations about feeding issues, the stock magazine was a commonly-sited culprit -- second only to tight extractors. With both issues corrected or eliminated, the weapon has proven to be a fun, (now) reliable shooter. My round count is still under 1000, so I wouldn't be surprised to see additional improvement as it loosens up.

Summary:

PRO:
Cost -- very reasonable
Accuracy -- has produced very consistent groups from the beginning
Customer Service - once you find the right number (RIA's number in Nevada, not Armscor in the Philippines) they are very good to work with.
It's a 1911...

CON:
Factory magazine is mediocre, but generally serviceable.
Possibly spotty Quality Control. Some people report clean-and-go operation, others have experiences more like mine.
Manual is minimal at best (but, it is a 1911 so there isn't much "unique" about it)
Would be nice to have sights that have adjustment for elevation.
Sight dovetail is non-standard, so aftermarket sights must either be for the RIA or be fitted.

All told, it is a good choice for an entry-level/economy 1911. In spite of the issues I had with mine, I would buy another one -- the value for the money is hard to beat.
The second amendment is why we're citizens and not subjects...

‎"Though defensive violence will always be 'a sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." St. Augustine A.D. 354-430
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Just a update on my Kimber Solo......Every range trip, no issues at all...... :)
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
BobK

Post by BobK »

carmen fovozzo wrote:Just a update on my Kimber Solo......Every range trip, no issues at all...... :)
Boy, don't ever sell that gun.

Seems like Kimbers blow hot and cold. Someone either gets a good one, or they get one with problem. Looks like you scored a winner.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
jpphoto1

Taurus PT1911 AL

Post by jpphoto1 »

I recently picked up a new Taurus PT 1911 AL from Bass Pro in Cincy. They had a sale going on and could be had for $550. This particular model is a two tone alloy frame full size incarnation of St. John's venerable design.

On first examination, the pistol has the fit and finish far superior than its price point would indicate. The features on this model include the Taurus rendition of 3-dot Novak sights, a finely checkered mainspring housing, stainless barrel, beavertail grip safety, commander style hammer, extended ambi-safety, full length guide rod, short skeleton alloy trigger, and coarse slide serrations both for and aft. Has all the features that would cost several c-notes to bring a Phil-spec 1911 into this class of handgun. Upon field stripping, you immediately notice the lack of tool marks on the inside of both the slide and frame common on other budget priced 1911's.

The accuracy the pistol displayed was a testimony to the flawless barrel to bushing and barrel to slide fit. After several hundred rounds of ammo there were no rub marks on the barrel or hammer. Trigger pull measured a consistent 5 lbs. on my RCBS gauge. The slide was finished in a matte black that Taurus says is parkerized. The frame was bare save for a clearcoat of some sort. The hammer, trigger, safety, and slide release were all black in color. I am usually not enamored by two tone firearms but this one pegs my meter.

After two trips to the range, I have decided that this pistol is going to be my primary carry weapon. First range session was a war against all things tin and can. Hickok45 would have been proud. Shooting mostly Blazer aluminum cased and Wolf steel cased 230gr fmj there were no malfunctions of any kind. Doing double taps and mag dumps, I single handedly perforated Bud, Sprite, Miller, and Coke until the monsoon started that ended the day.

Impressed with the accuracy out of the box, I scheduled some indoor range time. This time the fodder was WWB and Sellier and Bellot 230gr fmj. Starting at 21 feet two hand defensive stance, all seven rounds went into a 2 inch group. I then ran the target out to 50 feet (which is near the outer limit of my eyes these days) and was rewarded with a seven shot group you could cover with your hand. I also fired 7 rounds each of Federal 230gr hydra-shok and Winchester 185gr silvertip jhp to check for any malfunction with hollowpoints. The pistol heartily digested everything I fed it. I did notice that with the 185gr load, the point of impact was slightly higher than the 230gr loads.

The pistol only had two negatives. The first being the two magazines that came with the pistol. Taurus claims that they are 8-round mags. The witness holes are even numbered all the way to eight. I'll be darned if I could only get seven rounds into each of them. As you are loading the mag, there is a gritty feeling like the follower is dragging on the inside of the magwell. This bothered me to the point that on my second trip to the range I used all Colt eight rounders. The second negative is pretty much my own opinion. The factory logo grips are a hard black plastic that look and feel cheap. They fit and function perfectly but are not a deal breaker for me. All in all, I would recommend this 1911.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Dec.21,2011 range trip..This Solo is Freakin accurate. And still no issues.... :)
OHIOSTEVE

Post by OHIOSTEVE »

GLOCK 27 WITH CRIMSON TRACE 2-3-12... First time ever shooting a glock. Too bright to use the trace so open sights. Not really target shooting but plinking at a small dump site by my house...bottles ,cans, bricks etc. Whatever I aimed at I hit. Gun felt good in my hand so probably a keeper.

WILDEY .45 WIN MAG-- like this one a lot also but impractical for me except for the coolness factor. I kept having FTF issues but according to the manual it is because I did not have the gas adjustment done properly which does make sense. if I racked it manually zero issues. The previous owner has the rear sight WAY off whack for me but nonetheless I like it.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

carmen fovozzo wrote:Just a update on my Kimber Solo......Every range trip, no issues at all...... :)
I think I have narrowed down the right SD ammo for my Solo....Taking it to the range this afternoon with 124 Grain Hydra-Shok JHP. I have tried the 147 Grain but I think I like the 124 Grain better. This will be the final test for me to decide....

Have I told you lately that My Solo has NO issues ? :D
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Well it looks like the 124 GRAIN will be my SD ammo for my Solo.........No issues.... :)
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

124gr over the 147gr sounds like a good choice for the Solo 2.7in. barrel; probably gets a little better velocity.
My Kahr P9 3in. barrel likes 'em even lighter at 115gr.
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

S&W 3913LS

Post by NavyChief »

OK, this has been on the wish list for a very long time. Recently things came together and I was finally able to check that particular box. (I had been saving my lunch money up for a SIG P239 SAS Gen 2. Oh well. Maybe next year.) First, the obligatory pictures:

It was purchased as "New, unfired" from docpadds at GunEnvy. I couldn't be more pleased with the transaction, and finally getting to meet him in person was a treat. As for the range report, there were no surprises. I fired 150 rounds as follows:
50 – Federal 115-gr FMJ "W-M Special"
50 – Winchester Ranger 147-gr truncated FMJ RA9147FMJ
50 – Dave's handloads (Dave is a friend that throws me a box now and then in return for all the brass I save for him. These particular loads, for those interested: 115-gr FMJ over 4.4 gr Hogdon Titegroup; High 1142, Low 1128, Avg 1135, SD 5.09, extreme spread 13.74; I forget what he was running when he chrony'd these loads, but IIRC it was a G19.)

There were absolutely no issues with function; throws brass high right about four o'clock 4-5 feet out. Muzzle flip is maybe 3-4 degrees and slightly left. The Federal 115s were a bit snappy, the Ranger 147s had more of a "push" but felt more manageable; naturally, Dave's handloads were pretty pleasant to shoot. My overall performance with this can only be said to be "minute of bad guy." It didn't turn me into Jerry Miculek or anything, but I'm certainly no worse with it than I am with anything else. I won't embarrass myself with pictures of targets. Overall I'd say it's a keeper. Of course, if I can teach Mrs. NavyChief to rack the slide using the "push method" I'm pretty sure I'll have lost it, but that's OK. (The daughter hasn't seen it yet, either. And I think I might be better off keeping it that way. :roll: )

I'll probably look to putting night sights on it at some point. Right now I'm leaning toward TruGlo TFOs, but we'll see. And I'll probably contact S&W to get one more "pinky extension" magazine base plate. One drawback - holsters. Because of its profile, there aren't a lot out there to choose from. I have an Old Faithful kit on order, but I'd really like to have an OWB for it as well. I may - may - shoot the F'n'G with it.

Edit to add:
Just heard back from S&W this morning. Production date was in 2000. Short of ponying up the $30 for a letter, I imagine that's has close as I'm going to get from them. And that's OK, it's just not that important to me.

Afterthought:
Forgot to mention, firing included modified-Weaver, strong hand only, and weak hand only. Curiously – or maybe not, I dunno – one hand shooting produced better results than two hand. I must ponder this some.

Additional edit to add:
The one hand v. two hand mystery continues with today's (3/17) range visit. First mag (2-hand) I couldn't even tell you where the rounds went. One hand – no problem, strong or weak. Perhaps David Bowie can enlighten me down on the steel plate range at the Fun'n'Gun (if he's doing that again this year) in a couple weeks. It's not me. Well, not entirely at least. I shot the Glock G19 just fine. Strange.
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Took my G 19 to the range yesterday with the LaserMax guide rod laser and fired about 100 rounds.....

This thing is awesome.......I can finally hit a target...... :wink:

A new Ruger SR 22 for the wife cleaned and ready for the range next week......I'm running out of money buying her guns.....Hope this is the last........ :)

Oh, I forgot to mention. No issue's with the Solo.... :wink:
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

So. Carmen - how's the Solo doing? :lol:
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

NavyChief wrote:So. Carmen - how's the Solo doing? :lol:
Glad you asked. Not bad, thanks for asking... :wink: