Range Reports

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

jeep45238

Kahr CW40

Post by jeep45238 »

Only going to be the last one because I won't be co-oping till then - and summer co-op money is being set aside for other expenses.

It's a Kahr CW40. It's a mix between a 1911, a slicked-up S&W revolver, and a Glock. It holds 6 rounds in a flush fit magazine, giving it a total capacity of 7 .40 S&W cartridges. It was bought new from work.

It's incredibly thin - makes my 1911's look fat honestly. The grip is just long enough for me to get a full firing grip with all fingers on the gun. The barrel is 3.5" long (same as my Colt) but the overall length is shorter I believe.

It feels a lot like firing a S&W revolver that's had an action job. The trigger pulls smooth as hell straight back without any stacking, can't tell when the trigger's going to break :)

It has the grip angle of a Browning Hi Power/1911, so it naturally points where I want it to. I've been using 1911's and a Hi Power for about a year now, so pretty much all of my draw practice and shooting is based around those ergonomics. It's great for me since I don't have to 're train' myself when I switched over from a .45 to this. If I had been running glocks for that long, I'd definitely have to retrain myself. Most people think "glock" when they think of a low bore height (has to do with how much the gun rotates up in your hand). The Kahrs are even less - they offset the feed ramp to one side, and the trigger mechanism to the other to pull the slide and barrel down. Not to mention it's incredibly thin.

The take down is similar to a Glock, mixed with a 1911. Lock the slide back, clear the gun, and line up the half-moon notch (or the marks on the left front on the slide if you want to follow Kahr's directions), and pull out the slide stop. Pull the slide rearward again while putting downward pressure on the barrel hood to verify the gun is clear, then pull the trigger while pulling the slide forward off of the frame. Standard Glock/Sig/etc. take down of the slide from there.

Reassembly is in reverse, however be careful not to let the slide stop go on top of the small spring that sits under the slide stop. You'll bend it and will have to replace it for the gun to be functional again.

The only real oddity for me about this gun is that it will always jam if you 'slingshot' the slide to load a new magazine. It will not do this if you use the slide stop. This is also mentioned in the owner's manual. That's an oddity I think I can easily live with though.

They make these guns in 1 size smaller, and 1 size bigger, and mount the 4" slide to this midsize frame. They're also available with steel frames, in 9x19mm, .40SW, and .45ACP. They make a very small .380 option, but good luck finding ammo for it right now.
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
dfrea

Kimber Pro Carry II .45ACP

Post by dfrea »

Took the new (used, new to me) Kimber to New Albany Last night. I picked this up from the used case at Buckeye Outdoors (was actually searching for a new holster for my .357 at the time, was one of those unplanned purchases). I looked it over for quite a while before deciding to take it, and I honestly don't think it had ever sent a round downrange. The previous owner traded 3 Kimbers in on a Wilson Combat. I digress, except to say I got a heck of a deal.

Loaded up with WWB 230gr. FMJ to start, at 20 feet I had a 4" group with my first few magazines, narrowed down to about 2" after slowing down and learning the gun. Moved target out to 25 feet, tried some double taps, accuracy decreased a little bit, but still in "vital" regions. Switched targets and back to 15 feet, tried a variety of ammo I got from one of my CHL instructors. Some aluminum cased (looked like plastic) CCI stuff, Federal, Remington, even some old GI .45 Ball with a 1943 headstamp! The Kimber ate it all and I noticed no change in accuracy. (And yes, I know the GI stuff is corrosive, but I only had a few rounds of it, and I am fanatical about cleaning my guns). Shot around 100 rounds of FMJ.

Finally, loaded up a few magazines of my carry ammo (Hornady XTP), didn't have any issues, or any change in accuracy. I think I have found a winner with this Kimber! I was suprised that I didn't have any of the "breaking in" issues that I've read so much about. I'm not sure if I just got a good gun, or if I was using my CHL training to make the gun run better, (like gripping really high), or if the previous owner really DID shoot this, and just took great care of it. In any case, I am now more comfortable than ever carrying this gun!
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Leather Lightning (by Mitch Rosen)

Post by NavyChief »

OK, not exactly a range report, but certainly germane to the range...

For some time now I've read of this product, and a couple others like it. A month or so ago I finally broke down and bought some. Its specific use is to "loosen up" leather holsters that are just a smidgen too tight. What it actually does is safely lubricate the inside of the holster. Since getting my first XD (a 45C) I've been using one of the less expensive Don Hume IWB holsters. One drawback to it is that depending on the belt I'm wearing, especially the thicker Wilderness Instructor belts,the clip doesn't grab the belt sufficiently to keep it from coming right off during the draw. ...obviously, this is a problem. No more.

I ordered the Leather Lightning by phone direct from Mitch Rosen. It was pain-free and cost $12 + $2 S&H. Must've been on the phone all of about 2-2½ minutes. It arrived in three days.

To be fair, it did take two applications. Perhaps I wasn't quite generous enough with it the first time - I dunno. Even so, after two applications, the bottle doesn't look like I've even touched it. A little goes a long way. This stuff is great. Both my XDs slide right out of the holsters now almost like they're jumping into my hand. And yes, the holster still retains the gun just fine. I heartily recommend this product.

http://www.mitchrosen.com/product_line/ ... neous.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
Beekeeper

Glock 20

Post by Beekeeper »

I recieved two boxes of 10mm DoubleTap 165 grain hollowpoints yesterday afternoon. The box says those bullets are cruising along @1400fps I need a chrono to verify that. I took my new 3rd Generation Glock 20 out back and fired 50 rounds through the gun. Recoil was bit more than my 40 caliber Glock 35, but certainly not uncontrollable. I could shoot clay pigeons at 25 yards with it, and could put in some quick followup shots when using paper plates. Overall a nice gun.
When firearms go, all goes. We need them every hour.
.George Washington
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

SA XD9Sc 13-rnd flush-fit mag's

Post by NavyChief »

This range session was primarily to determine the reliability of the new 13-rd mag's from SA; while the mag's were 100% reliable (based on 143 rounds fired through three different mag's), loading them was a real chore; despite my best efforts one would absolutely not accept anything over eleven rounds*, the other two were a real bear to stuff thirteen into; all three were much more difficult to load even up to ten than my 10-rnd mag's.

I can say that for EDC, these are "da' bomb." You now have almost three times the capacity of a typical 5-shot revolver in nearly the same size package at only a little bit more weight. Just keep in mind loading them (at least without some sort of mechanical aid) is a real &^%%$$##@#@#$...

YMMV. If any folks have any other experience with these, please let me know.

I will absolutely switch out my 10-rounders for these for EDC. To paraphrase Tim Allen - "More is better."

(* One should keep in mind I was using nothing but my thumbs - I'm guessing almost any type of mag loader would make this process a lot more painless. And yes, the pun was intended.)
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
FormerNavy

Re: SA XD9Sc 13-rnd flush-fit mag's

Post by FormerNavy »

NavyChief wrote:This range session was primarily to determine the reliability of the new 13-rd mag's from SA; while the mag's were 100% reliable (based on 143 rounds fired through three different mag's), loading them was a real chore; despite my best efforts one would absolutely not accept anything over eleven rounds*, the other two were a real bear to stuff thirteen into; all three were much more difficult to load even up to ten than my 10-rnd mag's.

I can say that for EDC, these are "da' bomb." You now have almost three times the capacity of a typical 5-shot revolver in nearly the same size package at only a little bit more weight. Just keep in mind loading them (at least without some sort of mechanical aid) is a real &^%%$$##@#@#$...

I will absolutely switch out my 10-rounders for these for EDC. To paraphrase Tim Allen - "More is better."

(* One should keep in mind I was using nothing but my thumbs - I'm guessing almost any type of mag loader would make this process a lot more painless. And yes, the pun was intended.)
What are these 13rnd magazines you speak of? My XD9 subcompact came with 10rnd and 16rnd mags - are the 13rnd ones an in between choice or something?
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pleasantguywhopacks »

FormerNavy wrote:
NavyChief wrote:This range session was primarily to determine the reliability of the new 13-rd mag's from SA; while the mag's were 100% reliable (based on 143 rounds fired through three different mag's), loading them was a real chore; despite my best efforts one would absolutely not accept anything over eleven rounds*, the other two were a real bear to stuff thirteen into; all three were much more difficult to load even up to ten than my 10-rnd mag's.

What are these 13rnd magazines you speak of? My XD9 subcompact came with 10rnd and 16rnd mags - are the 13rnd ones an in between choice or something?
Springfield came out with 13 rounders that are the same size as the 10's so you get 3 more rounds with out any more length.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

FormerNavy wrote: What are these 13rnd magazines you speak of? My XD9 subcompact came with 10rnd and 16rnd mags - are the 13rnd ones an in between choice or something?
As PGWP stated, they are fairly new flush-fit 13-round mag's. Seen here:

http://www.springfield-armory.com/store ... cts_id=567" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I got mine for a little less through PistolGear - they're out of them often, but you save about $2 apiece if you're willing to wait (not sure what SA charges for S&H). I got three (including S&H) for under $90. So now, if I choose to carry a spare mag, I've got 27 rounds (14 without spare mag) ready at hand to deal with any interpersonal crisis situation that might arise. If that's not sufficient, hopefully my faithful feet will be up to the task of engaging Warp Factor 9.

Oh, and as mentioned in my range report - if you don't already have a mag loader, get one! I thought maybe after getting home I'd have better luck getting all 13 in all three mag's. I was wrong. My next purchase will be a mag loader - either SA or aftermarket. In fact, I'll probably order one tonight...
Imcrazy

Kimber Custom II

Post by Imcrazy »

Took the Custom II Kimber out 3 times in the last 2 weeks and its been amazing, I can shoot great groups and I enjoy the heck outta shooting the gun, I got my OWN Don Hume JIT today and I'll get my crossbreed in the mail soon :-D. Next pay check maybe some nite sights, pay check after that? Maybe a .22lr conversion.
-Aaron
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

UpLULA magazine loader

Post by NavyChief »

OK, I'll admit it. I've been a bit of a snob. Twenty years in the Navy and we didn't need no steenkin' magazine loaders. Them's for wussies. I never even used the one that came with my XD45C - tried it once and figgered it was more trouble than it was worth. That's what God gave us opposable thumbs for - to stuff rounds in mag's. And then I got my new 13-round flush-fit XD9Sc mag's to the range for a test session. Let's just say the follower springs in these things are - uhmm - robust. (I actually think they came from a 4x4 lift kit.)

I have seen the light.

I put the arm out in the Sale/Trade forum for a mag loader. Even though the XD Gear loader that came with my 45C wasn't all that great, I figured one had to be better than the thumb dislocation I was suffering trying to load those mag's. A couple folks highly recommended the UpLULA loader as being far superior to anything else out there. Fortunately, pleasantguywhopacks doesn't live too far from me, and offered the loan of his to "take it for a test drive." While at the range, of the three new mag's I had, two would take all 13 rounds if I held my mouth just right and squinted my left eye while muttering apologies to John Moses Browning for buying a plastic gun. The third I absolutely could not get past 11 rounds. Well, I just finished the test drive. All mag's are cheerfully carrying 13 rounds. And my thumb is still cheerfully and properly attached to my hand. (Now if I could just get my left eye to open fully... :roll: )

I will be ordering one of these things ASAP.
tjeffries

Re: Range Reports

Post by tjeffries »

Chief, you won't regret it, I'm thinking of buying a second one just to keep in the truck as a spare :lol:
"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: What would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive?"-- Alexander Solzhenitzyn, Gulag Archipelago

To paraphrase George Santayana, those who refuse to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

http://www.barefootsworld.net/tripwire.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kyleh

Mossberg 535 Combo, 12Ga

Post by kyleh »

Well after swapping guns with "thunder-chicken" I now have a sweet mossberg 535 12ga. My wifes keltec pf9 was the victim for the trade lol. Not a bad deal either way but now I have to replace the wifes gun haha.

Anyway took out the 535 yesterday to test out. Didn't have much ammo with me but some regular shot, buckshot, and some 3-1/2 turkey shot!!! Holy crap close to 50yds out and hitting clay targets hanging in a tree!! This was out of the 18in barrel with turkey choke! 3-1/2 is a huge load btw. Then we filled some jugs with water and watched them explode! Swapped barrels after that for some skeet. The 00 buck was a heck of a load and shot some huge flames in the low light lol.

Gun worked great very comfortable and easy to handle. Getting some slugs and more regular shot to have some more fun.
Beekeeper

Glock 21 Upper

Post by Beekeeper »

I ordered a Glock 21(.45 Auto) upper last week to use with my 3rd Generation Glock 20 (10mm) receiver. Got it on Friday, and had Olde English Outfitters put a set of Meprolight night sights on the slide later that afternoon. I swapped out my G20 upper yesterday for the G21 upper, and put 50 rounds of 230 grain CCI Blazer Aluminum cased ammo through it. Good accuracy, and easy to shoot follow up shots.
When firearms go, all goes. We need them every hour.
.George Washington
FormerNavy

Post by FormerNavy »

NavyChief wrote:
FormerNavy wrote: What are these 13rnd magazines you speak of? My XD9 subcompact came with 10rnd and 16rnd mags - are the 13rnd ones an in between choice or something?
As PGWP stated, they are fairly new flush-fit 13-round mag's. Seen here:

http://www.springfield-armory.com/store ... cts_id=567" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I got mine for a little less through PistolGear - they're out of them often, but you save about $2 apiece if you're willing to wait (not sure what SA charges for S&H). I got three (including S&H) for under $90. So now, if I choose to carry a spare mag, I've got 27 rounds (14 without spare mag) ready at hand to deal with any interpersonal crisis situation that might arise. If that's not sufficient, hopefully my faithful feet will be up to the task of engaging Warp Factor 9.

Oh, and as mentioned in my range report - if you don't already have a mag loader, get one! I thought maybe after getting home I'd have better luck getting all 13 in all three mag's. I was wrong. My next purchase will be a mag loader - either SA or aftermarket. In fact, I'll probably order one tonight...

Got my 13 rnd mag today and it was a real !@#$%^ to get the last two rounds in. I managed, but a mag loader would have made it much easier.
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

FormerNavy wrote:Got my 13 rnd mag today and it was a real !@#$%^ to get the last two rounds in. I managed, but a mag loader would have made it much easier.
Yep - go ahead and "bite the bullet" and get an UpLULA (see above) - you'll not regret it.