Thoughts on .17HMR

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

I've tried the .17 HMR and I think....

It's a revelation is rimfire shooting.
10%
It's an over-rated pea shooter.
50%
I ain't tried one yet, but I'm a gonna!
40%

Total votes: 10

Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Thoughts on .17HMR

Post by Petrovich »

Not typically chambered in pistols, and not the best choice for CC I know.

But heck, we can still talk about it.

What do you think of the .17HMR??? I'm loving it. You can get a very inexpensive rifle such as a savage, and get match quality groups. I'm serious. Why I never thought about necking down a .22WMR I'll never know.

I have a reproduction savage favorite in 17. It's falling block single shot. On top is a sightron 3-9x40mm scope.

I'm tellin' you what, no blade of grass is safe in my back yard. I like to shoot those little, white clover heads, or pick off dirt clods in the garden.

If you get one DON'T buy the favorite. Here's the problem....the barrel heats up after about 5 shots and the group opens up a little. Let the rifle cool down and yer back to shooting bumble bees on the fly.:wink:

If you get one, take a look at a heavy tapered barrel savage or marlin. VERY reasonably priced.....save yer money for a decent scope.

I hear it's the perfect medicine for ground hogs easy out to 150 yards.

Another biggie is safety. You can shoot this caliber in places where you wouldn't dream of shooting a centerfire.

As we know, the worse risks for ricochets are projectiles of relative high weight to velocity. ..22LR's are terrible for ricochets. The .17 bullet weighs less than 20gr and is smoking along at 2200+ fps....the bullet disintegrates on impact. The little Vmax bullets have a polymer tip too.

Here's a sweetheart. http://www.winchesterguns.com/prodinfo/ ... 5&cat=002C
mscott

Post by mscott »

Why I never thought about necking down a .22WMR I'll never know.
It was probably 15 years ago they started talking about it and it took this long to get it into production. I have one and love it, but would have to say none of the above to your poll questions. To me it's just another gun. I have a .17 REM in an Encore barrel and shot out a .17REM in a Remington BDL, so I am pretty framiliar with the .17 bullets and what they can do. Bullet placement is the key no matter how much of a screamer you have. I think it's a dandy little cartridge, but not really any better than what we already have. I'm about due to pick up one of the .17 Mach 2 guns as well. I like the .17s, but that's just because they're different.
You can't shoot a big enough gun to miss 'em dead.

NRA Life Member
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

mscott wrote:
Why I never thought about necking down a .22WMR I'll never know.
It was probably 15 years ago they started talking about it and it took this long to get it into production. I have one and love it, but would have to say none of the above to your poll questions. To me it's just another gun. I have a .17 REM in an Encore barrel and shot out a .17REM in a Remington BDL, so I am pretty framiliar with the .17 bullets and what they can do. Bullet placement is the key no matter how much of a screamer you have. I think it's a dandy little cartridge, but not really any better than what we already have. I'm about due to pick up one of the .17 Mach 2 guns as well. I like the .17s, but that's just because they're different.
Oh heck, I agree....17 caliber projectiles have been around for a very long time.

What sets .17HMR apart is that it's a rimfire. I'm well aware that there are several centerfire cartridges of mosqito proportions. Try loading them, or worse...buying factory ammo.

The HMR is a great compromise in cost. For that matter, compare the cost of a rifle chambered for a centerfire .17 as opposed to a .17 rimfire.

Sheesh, you can buy two or three good rifles chambered for .17HMR for what you'd pay for a .17 centerfire.
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

I just spent the evening knocking hickory twigs outta the trees at about 75 yards.

How much fun did you have this evening????

Prolly not that much if you live in the city.
JJones

Post by JJones »

Petrofergov wrote:I just spent the evening knocking hickory twigs outta the trees at about 75 yards.

I just got back from Scuba diving in the Keys....

Does that Count?

Besides 75yards is nothing, Talk to me when you are doing that at 2-300 yards.

Jacques.
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

JJones wrote:
Petrofergov wrote:I just spent the evening knocking hickory twigs outta the trees at about 75 yards.

I just got back from Scuba diving in the Keys....

Does that Count?

Besides 75yards is nothing, Talk to me when you are doing that at 2-300 yards.

Jacques.
How's the weather? Yeah, scuba diving is fun. Back in the seventies I was stationed on Guam. That's all I did. When I got bored with reef diving I joined a wreck diving club. Ever hear of a little party a few years back called the Marianas turkey shoot? Ever see jap zeros at 50 feet? We also took a couple trips to truk island....but hey we're getting off the topic.

Maybe I should say it again..... .17HMR is a RIMFIRE...RIM-FIRE. Unlike a CENTERFIRE......CEN-TER-FIRE it won't have near the range....say for example 2-300 yards. Besides, my backyard us only 150 yards deep. When I wanna practice at 200yds I hafta go to the range. :(
Ring

Post by Ring »

for light varmits out to 150y, not bad. anything else, its to light
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

Ring wrote:for light varmits out to 150y, not bad. anything else, its to light
My thoughts precisely....and 150 yards is definately at the outer limit with .17HMR. You gotta figure too, if there's much breeze at all don't take the real long shots. It must certainly be affected by wind.

OH, did I mention report??? Ya know how a .22LR has a sharp 'crack' sound. .17HMR isn't as loud as a LR. I don't know why, but it isn't. When you got pesky 'neighbors' like I have, you try to keep a low profile.

The fact .17HMR is a light round is it's biggest advantage. You can use it in places a heavier round just wouldn't be safe.

I suppose now someone will lecture me on gun safety....knowing your backstop and whatnot.