Legal barrel lengths and buttstocks.

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

NordicRX8

Legal barrel lengths and buttstocks.

Post by NordicRX8 »

Does anyone know what (if any) restrictions Ohio places on:

telescoping/folding buttstocks
barrel lengths (minimum for long-guns/shotguns/carbines)

I'm looking to get one of those Mech Tech Carbine conversions units for my 1911 frame in .460 Rowland/.45ACP. Can I get the telescoping model or am I restricted to a fixed stock?

TIA
Suppose the Second amendment said "A well-educated electorate being necessary for self-governance in a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed." Is there anyone who would suggest that means only registered voters have a right to read? – Robert Levy

A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys... - Charlton Heston
Timmy44221

Post by Timmy44221 »

A rifle (or carbine) must by federal law have and overall length of 26in and a barrel length of 16in.

As for turning the pistol into a rifle, that open up a can o worms and can possible be considered an AOW or SBR, depending on who you assemble/ dissasemble it.

Read up on AR pistols to get the jist of what I mean....If you get a virgin AR reciver that is not made into a rifle, you can make it a pistol, and later make it a rifle, and later swith it back....But you have to assembel/ dissasembe in the right order, or alse it becomes a AOW/SBR.
Buckshot

Post by Buckshot »

NordicRX8,

In Ohio, other than mag capacity laws, you just must meet the Federal regs, including length and folding stocks.

Mag capacity is "may not fire more than 31 times without a reload" so don't buy a drum mag for the .45/.460!

Buckshot
heathen

Re: Legal barrel lengths and buttstocks.

Post by heathen »

NordicRX8 wrote:Does anyone know what (if any) restrictions Ohio places on:

telescoping/folding buttstocks
barrel lengths (minimum for long-guns/shotguns/carbines)

I'm looking to get one of those Mech Tech Carbine conversions units for my 1911 frame in .460 Rowland/.45ACP. Can I get the telescoping model or am I restricted to a fixed stock?

TIA
From what I've read and my understanding, the shortest overall length of a rifle or shotgun is 26 inches. This is measured with the folding or telescoping stock extended.
The shortest overall length of a rifle barrel is 16 inches and 18 for a shotgun.
You can convert a pistol into a rifle and back again but you cannot convert a rifle/shotgun into a pistol without the ATF tax stamp. Just be sure to have the rifle barrel installed if there is a buttstock.
A 1911 should be legal to convert to a rifle as long as you keep the long (16"+) barrel on it and never have it with the short barrel and the stock. I wouldn't even store the short barrel and the stock together either. It may be considered a SBR if found together.
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

The shortest overall length of a rifle barrel is 16 inches and 18 for a shotgun.
I had not heard about the 18 inch for shotguns? Can someone confirm this?
Last edited by Cruiser on Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

If memory serves me Cruiser, those are the correct numbers.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
jabeatty

Post by jabeatty »

Cruiser wrote:I had not heard about the 18 inch for shotguns? Can someone confirm this?
It's in the Definitions section of NFA '34 - there's a .pdf copy HERE.
§ 5845 Definitions.
For the purpose of this chapter--
(a) Firearm. The term 'firearm' means (1) a shotgun having a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length; (2) a weapon made from a shotgun if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length; (3) a rifle having a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length; (etc. - deleted for brevity)
Please note that anything defined as a firearm for the purposes of NFA '34 is then regulated as a firearm under that Act.
--
Someone edited my signature and deleted my posts, and all I got was... this edited signature.
NordicRX8

Post by NordicRX8 »

Buckshot wrote:Mag capacity is "may not fire more than 31 times without a reload" so don't buy a drum mag for the .45/.460!
LOL

I'll stick with the 14 shot Para mags. :)

Thanks for the clarifications guys. I'm placing my order today!
Suppose the Second amendment said "A well-educated electorate being necessary for self-governance in a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed." Is there anyone who would suggest that means only registered voters have a right to read? – Robert Levy

A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys... - Charlton Heston
Timmy44221

Post by Timmy44221 »

A RIFLE is 26in overall length, with a Barrel of 16 in

A SHOTGUN must have a barrel of 18 in.

That is federal law... Everyone needs to review the National Firearms act.
chef dennis
Account Deactivated

Post by chef dennis »

You can also apply for a "tax" stamp for a Class3 title2 item and that allows you to have a "SBR" Short Barrel Rifle, under 16 inches.

The common for AR type rifles is either a 14.5 or 11.5 barrel. RRA sells a 10.5 in barrel AR everyday. And getting the Tax stamp is no big deal. Here is the hand out i got from a gun dealer:
CAN YOU OWN A CLASS 3 WEAPON?
Under Federal Law

(Post Samples & Pre-Samples are NOT transferable to the public, they are restricted to C3 dealers & Govenment Agencys ONLY)

HOWEVER, The following material explains what you, the general public must do in order to legally purchase a Transferable Silencer, Machinegun, or other designated Class 3/Title 2 items. It also explains some of our tasks in this process.
1. You must be 21 years of age or older and legally able to qualify for the purchase of a regular handgun (meaning no felonies, violent misdemeanors, dishonorable discharges, etc.)

2. Pay us for the product, payment must be in full.

3. Get two 2"x2" passport photographs taken. Attach one to the reverse side of each of the two copies of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms & Explosives (BATFE) Form 4 we give you. These photos typically cost $5 to $10.

4. Complete a small section on the reverse side of the BATFE Form 4 that declares why you wish to possess the item. Most folks say "Collector of firearms" or "Investment Purposes".

5. Take the two copies of the Form 4, with pictures attached and your section completed to your local law enforcement agency (city police, county sheriff, judge or other acceptable official ). Also take the two FBI Form FD-258 fingerprint cards we will give you. Ask the agency to officially take your fingerprints. This will usually cost $10 to $15. Also ask to have the chief of the agency complete his/her section of the reverse side of the Form 4. This merely attests that you are not wanted locally and that the official knows of no law which will be broken if you are approved by the government.

6. Bring us the two copies of the Form 4 and both completed fingerprint cards with a USPS money order made out to the BATFE ($5 for an "Any Other Weapon" or $200 for a short-barreled rifle, short-barreled shotgun, silencer or machine gun) for the required transfer tax. We will then put the two copies of the completed Form 4's, the two completed fingerprint cards and the money order in an envelope and immediately send it to the BATFE office in Atlanta, Ga.

7. The BATFE will first remove the money order and examine the paperwork for completeness. Assuming the paperwork is complete (it will be, or we will not mail it in), it will be assigned to an agent, who will have a nationwide FBI background check performed on you. Once you pass this (all legal folks over 21 pass it), the BATFE will mail us back a certified copy of one of the Form 4's we sent them. On this copy will be a stamp that looks like a postage stamp. This is a Federal tax stamp indicating the transfer tax is paid.

8. When we receive this Form 4 back with a stamp on it (currently about 100 - 140 days after we mail it in), we will call you and have you come by the shop to complete a BATFE Form 4473 and give you the product along with the Form 4. You should immediately make several copies of the Form 4 and carry one with you at all times while you have the item. Be sure to put the original in a safe place.

Once you have legal possession of the Class 3/Title 2 item you may not take the item across state lines unless you notify the BATFE in writing before doing so. We have these forms available for free. You are not asking for their approval but, instead, merely letting them know you are taking a Class 3/Title 2 item across state line(s) and when you will depart and return. (Not required for Suppressors or A.O.W. but recomended. You better know the State law where you are going.)

You may not loan this Class 3/Title 2 item to anyone! You may not store this item at a friend's home who has access to it. (Can be stored in a locked safe that only YOU can open) This is a restricted distribution item. To possess it requires (at the very least) an extensive background check. You are obligated by law (and common sense) to prevent anyone other than you from gaining access to it. You may let others use the item if they remain in your physical presence (under your control). If you decide to sell the item you must bring the item to us (or another Class 3 dealer) and the buyer to legally effect the transfer. The buyer then has to go through all the steps described and pay the required transfer tax, plus a $50 fee to us to handle the paperwork, etc.
Should you be so attached to your prize possession that you keep it until your passing, you can will it to your next of kin without payment of transfer tax or order it to be sold with payment of required transfer tax. However during either of these 2 processes only the administrator of the estate can have possession of the item. There will be a $50 fee to us to handle the paperwork, etc in either case.
I am waiting for a 12 in barrel to become available for my XCR.
Member of:
2A Foundation, NRA, USCCA, RKBA, OFCC, & SCUM

Chef Dennis
SA XD 9 SC
"Carry On"
RobP7

Re: Legal barrel lengths and buttstocks.

Post by RobP7 »

NordicRX8 wrote: I'm looking to get one of those Mech Tech Carbine conversions units for my 1911 frame in .460 Rowland/.45ACP. Can I get the telescoping model or am I restricted to a fixed stock?

TIA
What is the length of the barrel and the overall length. As quoted before, if the bbl is < 16" or the total length of the weapon (with the stock collapsed) is less than 26" then it is a SBR. Make sure that you have a LEO that will sign off on your ATF form.
Glock and dagger

Post by Glock and dagger »

From what I've read and my understanding, the shortest overall length of a rifle or shotgun is 26 inches. This is measured with the folding or telescoping stock extended.
NOPE!!!

The rifle must be greater than 26" with the stock retracted.
I'm Glock and Dagger and I approved this message.

"If it deprives just one citizen of their God-given rights, it's not worth it."
-evan price

FOOTOS... the Fresh Fighter
Buckshot

Post by Buckshot »

Cruiser wrote:
I had not heard about the 18 inch for shotguns? Can someone confirm this?
Cruiser,

Shotguns have ALWAYS been 18" since NFA'34.

Rifles started at 18" but things like the Swedish M94 Carbines, Argentine M91 and M1908 carbines, the US M1 Carbine and that kind of thing got it bumped down to 16".

Check Published Ordinances, Firearms by the BATFE for a quick source on this kine of thing. ANYONE can order it for free from their publications center.

Buckshot
Vex

Post by Vex »

FYI, the barrel is measured from the breechface with a locked action.

Basically, take a long dowel rod, paint 18 inches of it red (16 inches for rifle), and stick it in the barrel with the action closed and the weapon unloaded (obviously). If you see red and you haven't paid the tax stamp, you've got an illegal weapon.

Also, minimum overall length must be 26 inches or greater. If you have a folding stock, then it must be 26 inches or greater with the stock folded.
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

http://xavierthoughts.blogspot.com/2005 ... nches.html

Some shotguns the chamber is part of the barrel, so measuring the barrel at 18" and cutting will win you an all expenses paid trip to a federal pound-you-in-the-***-prison.
Thus, the dowel method is the ONLY way to fly.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.